• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman/BOTP/G-Force

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynamo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hi, this is my first topic here on this forums Very Happy One of my main reasons for registering here is because i couuldnt find any place elsewhere where i can talk about Gatchaman without people either telling me off or not having the slightest idea of what im talking about. Hopefully i wont be failed here.

So, anyone a fan of Gatchaman or its various dubs? I myself was introduced to Gatchaman through G-Force when CN first aired it back in 1995 (IIRC it was CN's first anime. Anyone remember that 1995 Summer Anime Festival that CN aired that summer in which they showed Vampire Hunter D and other movies at late night?) I was hooked from the start and it became the show which formally introduced me into anime (and it also had the character which became my first anime "crush" so to speak, Agatha June. LOL) I think i watched the entire 85-ep run on CN. I was saddened though when they took it off the air though,never to see it again. This was around the time Toonami debuted IIRC ( i never managed to catch it when they aired on the early days of Toonami).....

Well recently Boomerang (CN's classic cartoon spinoff) aqcuired its first anime,Battle Of the Planets,which from what I've read was the first translation of Gatchaman. When i heard this (despite knowing in advance about the reputation of BOTP) i was excited that Gatchaman was coming back on the air in some form. When i tuned in i was disgusted to say the least and finally realized why this particular translation recieved a lot of flak. Obvious edits,animation differences (you can tell where the American animation came into place),some R2-D2 ripoff and typical 70's music. This was not the G-Force that i remember. And on top of that, ever since the show debuted of Boomerang almost a month ago they keep showing the same damn Space Mummy episode every week! Evil or Very Mad

I wonder why CN chose THIS over G-Force (wasnt G-Force Turner's own in-house translation of Gatchaman which means he owns it). The sad thing is, with the exception of a few notable Gatchaman sites (which I've seen all) there isnt much of a Gatchaman following anywhere in the net. Hopefully this topic can turn into a nice discussion about Gatchaman because i would really like to hear from anybody else about Gatcha. Sorry if my post was too long but it was my debut post and i had a LOT i wanted to say. Well it would be really appreciated if anyone out there who's a Gatcha fan or just remember the show could chime in. Thanks Very Happy
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder why CN chose THIS over G-Force (wasnt G-Force Turner's own in-house translation of Gatchaman which means he owns it)

I would assume it was because BotP was actually dubbed in the 70s, whereas G-Force was done much later.. and so although the animation might fit the station, the G-Force dub would technically not.

When you consider the target audience for Boomerang (the 30-40-50-somethings who remember cartoons from their youth) I suppose it makes sense to use the 70s dub, even if it is considered a worse quality release.

Still, G-Force IS just sitting around collecting moss. If CN ever spins off Toonami onto its own network, there might be space for it, there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 am Reply with quote
Dynamo wrote:
Well recently Boomerang (CN's classic cartoon spinoff) aqcuired its first anime,Battle Of the Planets,which from what I've read was the first translation of Gatchaman. When i heard this (despite knowing in advance about the reputation of BOTP) i was excited that Gatchaman was coming back on the air in some form. When i tuned in i was disgusted to say the least and finally realized why this particular translation recieved a lot of flak. Obvious edits,animation differences (you can tell where the American animation came into place),some R2-D2 ripoff and typical 70's music. This was not the G-Force that i remember. And on top of that, ever since the show debuted of Boomerang almost a month ago they keep showing the same damn Space Mummy episode every week! Evil or Very Mad

I wonder why CN chose THIS over G-Force (wasnt G-Force Turner's own in-house translation of Gatchaman which means he owns it). The sad thing is, with the exception of a few notable Gatchaman sites (which I've seen all) there isnt much of a Gatchaman following anywhere in the net. Hopefully this topic can turn into a nice discussion about Gatchaman because i would really like to hear from anybody else about Gatcha. Sorry if my post was too long but it was my debut post and i had a LOT i wanted to say. Well it would be really appreciated if anyone out there who's a Gatcha fan or just remember the show could chime in. Thanks Very Happy

I am a big Gatchaman fan too. In response to your programming question, obviously the original Gatchaman episodes would be best, but they would have to be subtitled for U.S. TV. So that leaves us with a choice between Battle of the Planets and G-Force. With BOTP you have severe editing, but a fantastic score, good voice acting and a major nostalgia kick for early fans of anime. With G-Force you have a more accurate adaptation with decent acting, but absolutely horrible music and a smaller fanbase. I would have to say that BOTP was the correct choice.

The original Gatchaman episodes are due to be released here on DVD soon so I'd advise picking them up if you want the best version (although BOTP has better music).
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote
Gatchaman, my favorite all time classic anime (up there with Robotech and Star Blazers/Space cruiser Yamato.)

Have you seen the Gatchaman 94 OVAs? I highly recommend them for any fan of Gatcha as well as Anime.

Dynamo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Nah, i haven't seen the Gatchaman 94 OVAs yet but form the looks of it its looks excellent but i heard that they tried to fit the first Gatchaman series into those 3 OVAs. Is this true? And are they really releasing the Gatchaman episodes over here because that would rock. I know there are BOTP DVDs out there that have Gatchaman & G-Force episodes on them (but only 1 G-Force ep per disc. Boo,further disrespect for G-Force) but i haven't seen them anywhere. And as strange as it sounds, i dont have a DVD player of any kind yet even though i have had many a oppurtunity to get one. Embarassed Its only a matter of time though.....
Desslar

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
Have you guys seen the 2000 NTT Gatchaman TV commercials? Those are sweet.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
Desslar wrote:
Have you guys seen the 2000 NTT Gatchaman TV commercials? Those are sweet.

No, but i would appreciate it if you can post the link, so that we can check it out. Wink

Dynamo wrote:
i haven't seen the Gatchaman 94 OVAs yet but form the looks of it its looks excellent but i heard that they tried to fit the first Gatchaman series into those 3 OVAs. Is this true?.

Yes. you can watch all three OVAs on one DVD. Courtesy of Urban Vision.Thus i strongly suggest that you buy,borrow but not beg, for a DVD player, Wink especially since most recent Anime titles are only available on DVD. The VHS market is being phased out just as fast as Bush's approval ratings. Cool
Dynamo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quote
Oh man, i just downloaded the G-Force OP and ED themes,and IMO they EASILY beat the pants off of the BOTP equivalents. I never in my life thought i would hear the G-Force theme again until i got the DVD's but through some obscure website i finally got them. If you think Gatchaman anything it tough to find on the net,then try looking for anything about G-Force Confused Man,what a find,it just brought back soooo many memories from almost a decade ago watching G-Force every afternoon on CN. I remember the famous Gatchaman opening screen with Ken looking up and the globe behind him and the sweet Gatchaman artwork on the closing credits...... If only i could go back in time....... While most U.S Gatchaman fans grew up on *yuck* BOTP im probably one of the rare few that grew up on (and preferred) G-Force. It sucks that i dont get Anime Network because i heard they will be airing G-Force later this year (my cable provider is Time Warner Cable).

Even though when and if i get to see G-Force again it wont be quite as good as i remembered ill still hold a special place for it simply because of the nostalgia (which im guessing is the same reason BOTP fans hold their dub in high regards) and because it was my first anime. Looks like 2004 will be quite a year for Gatchaman (BOTP returning to airwaves,Gatchaman being picked up by ADV,G-Force and Gatchaman possibly airing on Anime Network). *goes back to listen to G-Force theme* G-FORCE!!!!
Desslar

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
Dynamo wrote:
Oh man, i just downloaded the G-Force OP and ED themes,and IMO they EASILY beat the pants off of the BOTP equivalents.

Come on, let's be real here. Say what you want about the editing, but there's no way you can say G-force has a better score than BOTP. It sounds like a 10 year old pounding out the same notes on a cheap Casio keyboard over and over and over. Whereas BOTP has a great orchestral score by Hoyt Curtin. To be fair, the G-Force production team was probably given a much smaller budget to work with, and it really shows in the music.
Dynamo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:52 am Reply with quote
Well i respect your opinion, no prob about that but IMO the BOTP soundtrack sounded like typical 70's cartoon music and seemed to be unfit for a show like Gatchaman,but i do admit it had a more varied soundtrack than G-Force and the soundtrack does resemble the original Gatchaman soundtrack being orchestrated and what not (both dubs had a mix of their own respective music and some original Gatchaman music in some scenes like transformations, the team joining up on the Phoenix,monster fights,fight scenes etc.). G-Force on the other hand like previously said has bits of the Gatchaman soundtrack and the "repetitive techno beat" that people seem to hate (if you didn't know its the basic beat of the G-Force OP and ED just missing all the insruments but the drums) and only that as the non-Gatchaman soundtrack goes which i admit does suck and does get old quickly.

I feel like im not making any sense with this mindless ramble so what im basically saying is that i prefer the G-Force opening theme (which sounds like an awesome techno/orchestrated/heroic type of song and is catchy as hell. The added instruments really bring life to the basic repetitive beat you hear all episode) to the BOTP theme (which is okay i guess but sounds like something out of a 70's Hanna-Barbera cartoon). Sorry if this all sounds one-sided but i just prefer some aspects of G-Force but my opinions are subject to change with further inspection of both dubs. In the end im just trying to have an "interesting" debate with fellow Gatchaman fans Very Happy Now the question is which dub had the better rambling narrator on the opening theme..............
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1