• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
- Documentaries on ANIME ? -

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just wondering if there were any Documentaries that were made on Anime ? or Manga ? for that matter.

I know that PBS did a Great Performances on the creator of Looney Toons, and even History Channel had a documentary on Comic Books, & like tons of stuff on Stan the Man, but is there anything at all on Anime or Manga?

Any word of any kind of film/show being made?

n.e.way.

Take it easy every 1,
-Thirteen

ps. That'd be worth seeing big time.
Innotech

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
in suncoast I saw a making of japanese animation video . Dont remember the name though sorry.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
amazon.com sells a buch of them. And some documentaries on anime are anime themselves. take a look at Otaku No Video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quote
To my knowledge, there are no documentries on anime, at least in english, and quite frankly I'm a little afraid of what someone too mainstream would do.
But, what I would do is hit a good research libary(i.e. University or big city main branch). Ask for help and have them order from other libaries. Try visiting websites of Japanese newspapers such as Maichi Shinbun and Asahi Shinbum. They would probably at least have information if one were being produced.
I'd be interested in what you find out.

Just as an aside,

I just took a class on Modern Japan and it was wonderful. But for term papers, I intentionally didn't do my term paper on Anime or manga.
Instead, I conetrated on modern Japanese politics and learned a lot, some of which now helps me recognise things I wouldn't otherwise in Anime. For example, I know what idealogical perspective Gasaraki is coming from and that the riots at the begining of movies such as Akira and Jin Roh are modeled off actual events, as was the crowd suppression.
I also shocked a Japanese friend by asking questions about Shintaro Ishihara and Yasuo Tanaka (two of the more "interesting" politicans, Gov. of Tokyo and Nagano respectively).
Yes, I probably could have gotten a slightly higher grade by sticking to what I knew but I llearned a lot more by branching out. I recomend it to anyone.

All the Best,

Nani?
The Spatula

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote
Otaku Unite

It's not really about anime, but more about anime fans...
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:39 am Reply with quote
on the animatrix bonus dvd there is a cool 30 minute documentary regarding Anime and it's origins. it's certainly worth a rental if not purchase.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:

IIRC there's also an "Otakumentary" out there, somewhere.

I know at least one author is currently in the process of writing a book about anime fandom in the US. We'll see how accurate and/or complete it is...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Guyra

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Not excactly a documentary, but Animation Runner Kuromi shows you much of what you want to know about the days at an anime studio, and the sequel adds a little more. And on top of that, it's a great anime in itself! It's like a dramatisized comedy documentary. (I own the DVD, myself!) Very Happy

Definetly worth it! Wink
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's not really a documetary, but Talking Head is a movie about a company making an anime.
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
In England on the Sci Fi channel they used to show an anime movie every thursday night and there used to be a short program beforehand looking at whats new in the Industry. They sometimes interviewed people in the industry, gave a bio/review of the film they were about to show, They also had a quick video game review (usually of a Japanese game).

Also does anyone remember Adam and Joe go Tokyo? (was a Uk show) they interviewed Shinichiro Watanabe over Animatrix on one ep which was quite cool. I'm sure i've seen bits of anime on Splat! and other animation documentaries as well.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I believe there is a show on the BBC called Japanrama. They talk about anime quite a bit and had several interviews with directors and writers (Myaizaki being my favorite)

Google for it and see.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everybody

Ultra Cool ! Thanks 2 all.

Yeah, the only one I recalled, after I posted the question was the Animatrix doc (though I've yet to see it)

Also, it seems that BBC and England are with it. Too bad Adult Swim doesnt take a time out and show some...

Thanks again, everyone for the heads-up! I'll put those tips to use.

You all ROCK baby ! ! !

THUMBS UP !
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The Sci-Fi channel had a 30 minute documentry on Anime a few months before Princess Mononoke came out. It features scenes from that movie and from the yet to be released Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It also made mention of the Steamboy movie.

I'd like to say that I still have it in my dusty videotape collection, but I seem to recall taping over it for Toonami, which was also new at that time. As I recall, the documentary was not too informative, and all it had was the never seen before (to me at that time) movie scenes.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

I know at least one author is currently in the process of writing a book about anime fandom in the US. We'll see how accurate and/or complete it is...

I thought that was called Anime Explosion!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2