• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shaman King

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikami Tocho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone watch it? I have the Japanese version with subtitles, which I think is great. The English one, however, sucks. HOW CAN YOU TURN A SERIOUSLY EVIL CHINESE GUY NAMED REN TO A BRITISH (note: BRITISH!!!!) MORON NAMED LENNY. [b]LENNY FER CRYIN OUT LOUD!!!![/b] Well, how do you feel about it?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Um, Len is still Chinese in the US version, not British. The Chinese (and a big chunk of the world for that mater) learned english from the British hence his family speaking with the British accents.

4Kids has been doing an acceptional job with Shaman King, leaving the story intact for the most part with far fewer edits than would be expected from an anime dealing with ghosts and the dead on Saturday mornings in the US.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Hikami Tocho wrote:
Does anyone watch it? I have the Japanese version with subtitles, which I think is great.

I should just point out... If you're referring to "Japanese" DVDs with English subtitles... They're bootlegs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Its a really good anime. I think 4Kids is doing a good job with the dubbing. I really think that its been improving over the years. Like Emerje said, Len learned English from Britain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lenny is a fair transliteration of Tao Ren, maybe not the best but it does make sense.
Hikami Tocho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
well, yeah it is pretty good for 4kids, but the Japanese version is better. *wishes this topic wasn't posted* Darn, well im sorta new to anime/manga.. *dodges tomatoes*
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually enjoying the Saturday morning version very much, though I have not seen the original to compare it to. On thing that I do wonder about is if the content is edited at all. Emerge, you siad that it is pretty much intact. I am reading the manga in shonen Jump, and the anime seems to proceed at a much quicker pace. It almost seems like it's skipping content. I could be just way off base though. Anyone know what kind of edits there have been? Hey, where's the edit list for this show, anyway? Smile
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I must say, for what I expected from 4kids, they've done a pretty decent job. The dub isn't bad from what I've seen of it. Though I will say its a shame we won't get any dual-language DVD's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The season finally of Shaman King is this weekend, and 4kids hasn't made a press release about the remaining 38 (41 if you count the specials) episodes. Confused
Fandrez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
I think that what 4kids is doing alright. Their dubbing is alright... but it stinks how they cut stuff and out don't have an UNCUT version of their animes. I mean, I watched the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh and then compaired it to the English one. 4kids cut out a bunch of stuff out of the Japanese version.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Emerge, you siad that it is pretty much intact. I am reading the manga in shonen Jump, and the anime seems to proceed at a much quicker pace. It almost seems like it's skipping content. I could be just way off base though. Anyone know what kind of edits there have been? Hey, where's the edit list for this show, anyway? Smile

Well, I don't know for sure what has been taken out, but I do know what has been left in and it's some pretty violent stuff. I'd dare say that Shaman King is the most violent show on Saturday mornings right now. They've gotten away with so much including some bloodless gore and murder (I was really surprised they left in the part were Pai Long was originally killed). They just don't go out of their way to cover up stuff. People give 4Kids a bad rap for stuff like Pokemon and Yugioh, but keep in mind what network those two are shown on. It seems to me like FOX is willing to let things slide a bit more. Let's take 4Kids own creation, the new Ninja Turtles series, for instance. Every vew episodes one of the characters, Baxter Stockman, becomes... a little less of himself. He started normal, then lost an eye after Shredder slashed it out as punishment for his failures, then he became a cyborg, then he became just a head on various robot bodies, and now in the most recent episode spoiler[he's just a one eyed brain in tank].

Yeah, anyway, 4Kids is doing alright.

Emerje
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I must say,Emerje,unlike a bunch of people out there,you don't mind the US dub.
I don't mind it either.SK is quite a good show.Quite enjoyable.
Fandrez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying that Shaman King is bad. Well, I've watched a few episodes and from what I see, I was guessing that there was probebly more things that went on in that sence then what it shows, but im probebly wrong. Sad
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
There are few things around the second season that I KNOW will be cut, but it should be basically intact till then.
GreatSaiyaman777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
If you're interested in an edits list of Shaman King then you should definitely check out this website.

http://home.earthlink.net/~shamanking-uncensored/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2