• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 11-19-2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, wow, wow. That's some pretty good skills with photoshop there. Today we got to see Nina expressing her fangirl ways, but I'm sure Kevin wouldn't be acting how he was if an anime with his favorite girls were involved...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wow, wow, wow. That's some pretty good skills with photoshop there. Today we got to see Nina expressing her fangirl ways, but I'm sure Kevin wouldn't be acting how he was if an anime with his favorite girls were involved...

Well, Kevin would have the extra advantage in that his anime girls would have different sized boobies. Laughing
StarOpal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute... How come Raz gets a facial scar and an upper ear ring, while two of the other guys both have studs in the same place, hmm?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterfly I like the plushie! Make sure to post some of your costume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterfly- That is AWESOME! Very Happy I can't wait to see your whole cosplay. Please keep us all updated. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh gawd, that was funny. Yes, folks there are SOME differences how could he miss it? Hahaha!!
Egret

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hisashi Hirai did the designs for Infinite Ryvius, too, and there was some pretty good character range in that one. 450-odd kids in that show, and you can still pick out individual extras in the background episode to episode.

As for the bishie lineup, I'm pretty sure I've seen this show. Kial's gonna turn out to be a traitor, Laasa really has deep-seated issues about a dead sister, and Talan dies saving Moten in episode 38, which will cause a huge obnoxious uproar among the fangirls despite the fact that he and Moten were never really terribly close beforehand. Which leaves Raz with the girl, which was a foregone conclusion because as someone pointed out earlier, he has a scar *and* a cartilage ring. Rolling Eyes

...and I love the Myoopi plush...especially the special candy pouch!

Last edited by Egret on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
skyler25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha, story of my life. Anime characters all have the same face shape, pretty much ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is supposed to be a parody of Fushigi Yugi? Cool
By that strip, so true. Especially in many shojo manga/anime.

Cute Myoopi SailorButterfly!

Last edited by Dark Elf Warrior on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I love how shoujo romance series always make the "hot-headed" guy a redhead... how freaking brilliant. Razz
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Hisashi Hirai’s illustrations have never bother me, personally, and I think that he gets too much grief when other more revered designers don’t get any while pretty much reusing the same sets of designs each time (even some of my favorites). Hayao Miyazaki (and Ghibli, in general), Leiji Matsumoto, a good chunk of shoujo mangaka, Masamune Shirow, Osamu Tezuka (despite doing so on purpose), Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, and even Keiji Gotoh and Range Murata are all guilty of reusing some or a good deal of previous designs or use a single template for most of their single sex designs (often the females). I don’t see anything terribly wrong with that as long as their some variety used along the way.

There is far more variety in Matsumoto and Toriyama's character designs when compared to Hirai's. It just depends on whether they're trying to make a connection from one character to another, that they tend to reuse design types (especially in Matsumoto's case).

What irks me the most, but this is the general case with SEED and SEED Destiny in general, is the unnecessary luster given to everyone and everything. Nobody is that shiny. It makes the characters look plastic, and thus difficult to connect with. It doesn't help that the characters in SEED and Destiny are so dull to begin with, but with the soulless design, they appear even more doll-like and unreal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gossamyr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well the anime stock bishie are all here and gaining proper fan girl attention.

Wait I think we forgot the bad ass sociopath who is also handsome.

true, true....but the pathetic thing is I can totally relate to that.. Rolling Eyes ...though I'm usually in agreement with Kevin on most of those male harem manga/animes.
(Talan is probably secretly a spy for the enemy, though.)
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
I love how shoujo romance series always make the "hot-headed" guy a redhead... how freaking brilliant. Razz

This might have something to do with TVTropes: Red Oni, Blue Oni
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why some people defend poor character designs simply composed of different hairstyles and eye shapes. I guess these people are too stubborn to accept design flaw due to their BLIND LOVE for young teenage characters portrayed in many popular anime titles.

I really love the latest post of ReiClone88. Also great job to NamaeX and mangaka-chan.

Also I just don't like so called popular anime/manga artist simply portray young male or female characters with round head with tapered chin. That design doesn't really portray what attractive people should look like, both protagonist and antagonist. I know that taper chin is designed to accompany small mouth shape, so that animators don't have to animate chins. THE PROBLEM is that inexperienced artists simply take this look as acceptable norm and never bother to look at REAL people. If you look at attractive people carefully, their face comes in variety of shape and size in balanced way.

I was reading someone defending Shirow and Akamatsu Ken. Here's unpleasant thing about their design. Akamatsu's Ken's character head design falls into hair/eye swap design. Just take away all those character's hair and eye shape. Their head shape look exactly the same. Also Shirow's female design falls into this trap. His male head designs have diversity, but I wouldn't tell part Motoko Kusanagi's and a female villain's portrait if they take away hair style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5