• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 11-19-2008

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
That's the problem with animation in general; sometimes the characters look the same. Wouldn't kill to add in distictive features, but then if you make the character too complicated, then it is just a pain in the ass to animate! Ahh... shortcuts. Very Happy

Another good one as well. Love Nina's expressions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chibisama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
Great comic. Myoopi always makes me chuckle when he randomly poops out candy like in the fifth frame.
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
fairyuuen wrote:
Kevins' comment in Panel 6 is trully evident.

Take for example the popular series spoiler[Gundam Seed].

Majority of the characters have the same faces.

They only differ in eye color, hair style and hair color.

My thoughts exactly. I remember sometime ago finding a CGed picture where someone switched the hair styles and faces of the characters around and despite that they still looked the same. Anime hyper;;

Might've been me. I created and posted these over at AN several years ago to demonstrate how much of a hack Hisashi Hirai is...

+ =

Forgive the lack of Photoshop skill. Still gets the point across though.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
lmao! I didn't even see the scar until Nina mentioned it. Anime hyper
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

Might've been me. I created and posted these over at AN several years ago to demonstrate how much of a hack Hisashi Hirai is...

Hisashi Hirai is one of my favorite character designer!!

No dissing on Hirai-san, dammit!!!

I recognize his character design right away...along with Clamp, Masamune Shirow, Noizi Ito, and Ken Akamatsu...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
I recognize his character design right away...

I would recognize his character designs right away as well, seeing as they apparently all look the same.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
Yes, the scar makes all the difference doesn't it?
What if the entire cast had a scar in a different place on their face, then we'd have an interesting lineup. Laughing

Indeed, it would be different. BTW, don't forget 2 of the 5 have ear studs... now I'm having a hard time telling them apart! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
fairyuuen wrote:

Take for example the popular series Gundam Seed.

Ditto for Sailor Moon. Just look at it!

Also, I like bishies! Screw you Kevin!
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
meh, like what you want... just don't expect me to respect your choices.
Iritscen
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for (re-)posting that for those of us who hadn't seen it, RedTail; that's pretty sad, right there. I daresay there's a little more variety in one of his shows, s-CRY-ed. But otherwise, man, the guy has got to expand his style a bit.

Also, re:scars, don't even get me started on how there's only a few kinds of facials scars in all of animé: the vertical one across one eye, the cross-shaped scar on the cheek (or sometimes chin), the parallel tracks down one cheek... let's see, can anyone else come up with a couple more?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Animator are supposed to do some "plastic surgery" on these bland design, but they can't deviate too much so that they can please "blind" fans. Good character designer has galls to implement his or her solid style on existing design. That is why some character designers are still popular with fans. On the other hand, inexperienced or bad character designer just use existing original designs and modify them for animation use. Director is also responsible because he has ultimate responsibility to weeds out bland designs.

Well, sometimes character designers are constrained by what looks in the original manga, where the character similarities are even worse - in B&W without the benefit of colors! Laughing

OK, would it be blasphemy if we consider Hayao Miyazaki's females on this list? Twisted Evil

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who first thought that Talan was a restyled Nina?

Great comic. Another one that's so funny because it's true.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind if my bishie look alike as long as they're hot. Very Happy

Hey, guys, I'm working on an Anime News Nina costume for a convention, and I've made a Myoopi plushie to go along with it. What do you think?

I need to smooth his stuffing out some, though.

He also has a pouch that snaps closed on the bottom where I can put candy poops. ^-^

Last edited by SailorButterfly on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NamaeX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
mangaka-chan wrote:
fairyuuen wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I remember sometime ago finding a CGed picture where someone switched the hair styles and faces of the characters around and despite that they still looked the same. Anime hyper;;

+ =

Forgive the lack of Photoshop skill. Still gets the point across though.

When they mentioned that, I thought about this:

Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
fairyuuen wrote:

Which leads to the question of import: How many times did Robyn have to redraw brown-eyed Nina ... I mean Talan, to remove the pointed ears?

PS - Am I noticing a concerted theme in this week's content, or just a bizzare happenstance?

It’s pretty funny when also considering that Nina’s entranced facial expression when thinking of Talan is different than the others (the psychiatrists would have a field day on that one Very Happy).

Hisashi Hirai’s illustrations have never bother me, personally, and I think that he gets too much grief when other more revered designers don’t get any while pretty much reusing the same sets of designs each time (even some of my favorites). Hayao Miyazaki (and Ghibli, in general), Leiji Matsumoto, a good chunk of shoujo mangaka, Masamune Shirow, Osamu Tezuka (despite doing so on purpose), Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, and even Keiji Gotoh and Range Murata are all guilty of reusing some or a good deal of previous designs or use a single template for most of their single sex designs (often the females). I don’t see anything terribly wrong with that as long as their some variety used along the way.

Also, a good deal of animated characters in a series look fairly indistinguishable from the nose to the chin, with the variations lying on the areas that will tend to catch viewer’s attention the most: the eyes and hair. Hirai’s aren’t that much different in terms of how others do their’s, though I tend to think that the dislike is based more on the style of the designs themselves, as his have a smooth, less detailed look that makes it easier to dissertate. Additionally, it also comes down to personal tastes, in which the others listed have more popular, aesthetically-pleasing designs than him.

P.S.: If you really want variety in Hirai designs, just watch LINEBARRELS OF IRON. There’s some in every different scene, even in the very same shot! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5