• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Music Artist BoA to Make U.S. Debut in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
I was in Book Off yesterday and all of BoA's CDs are in the $3 clearance rack. That's a sure sign demand has all but faded.

Awww. I had such a girl crush on her a few years ago. Maybe she'll have a minor resurgence.

But yeah... not so much on that English song. From that clip, it still doesn't top the superturd of Utada's "I'm Japaneasy" lyrics, but it's not as catchy, either.

Fashion, cellphones, anime... sure. But that is one area where they should not treat Americans like Japanese girls. Americans just will not go for cheezy, childish lyrics just because it sounds kawaii. Razz

Zoe wrote:
Mevious wrote:
Heh, we'll see what happens. I'm expecting her to fail like Hikaru Utada did, but with American pop you never know where the next big thing will come from. There's always a chance of someone introducing an 'Asian Invasion' similar to the Latin one Ricky Martin brought on.

Korean artists have always had better support in the US than Japanese artists. I'd say her chances are better than Utada's.

They supposedly have better English too.
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
'08-'09 is supposedly the time of the Asians here. BoA... Korean singer SE7EN... and IDJ hasn't completely given up on Utada Hikaru considering she'll be releasing a new US English-language album in like the next 6 months. And all of them are working with American artists in their songs. BoA with flo-Rida...Se7en with Three6Mafia. I forget who Utada was working with, but she is working with someone.

The beat is catchy in BoA's Eat You Up, but you can still tell the awkwardness in the accent. And the MV looks cheap. The Korean directed version of the MV looks a lot better. I also saw some of the press conference for her US debut, and though her English has improved more so than before, she still needs to work on her communication area--her English is not yet up to par--not on the level SE7EN has improved in the last year. Maybe her collaboration with flo-Rida will help her out.

But it really depends if the promotion is done right and if they could bring themselves out to American audiences. One of the reasons why Utada didn't do so well was promotion. Outside of jpop fans and stuff, I didn't hear about her at all and that was a time where I was barely into her.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I was a big fan of "Duvet", the theme from Serial Experiments Lain, so I bought "The Race of a Thousand Camels" so I could get the full version. I thought the rest of the CD was so weak, I didn't even put it on my iPod. (My wife liked it, though.)

------RM

Wrong Boa. Smile

By the way, "BoA" is a very gifted singer and I hope she'll do well here. I do know that, besides the anime/Jpop community, she's still has a huge fanbase among Korean Americans, which I think will turn out in bulk to buy her CD.

It seems a bit late for her to join the fray, though. Her sound is very Christina Aguileraish...it would have been good to capitalize on that popularity four or five years ago.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Mevious wrote:
Heh, we'll see what happens. I'm expecting her to fail like Hikaru Utada did, but with American pop you never know where the next big thing will come from. There's always a chance of someone introducing an 'Asian Invasion' similar to the Latin one Ricky Martin brought on.

Korean artists have always had better support in the US than Japanese artists. I'd say her chances are better than Utada's.

They supposedly have better English too.

Except Utada's American.

A number of K-pop artists have better English cause they're also American.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
I've been hearing about her American debut since last year and it's finally happening. It's the same thing with Se7en. What happened to Bi/Rain? I haven't heard anything about his progress here ever since his hilarious "duel" with Stephen Colbert.

Anyway, BoA really made it through as a household name in Korea and Japan. So, all the best of luck to her in making it here. ^^
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
IMO, Utada has a greater chance of being successful in the American Market because, she's American and speaks good english and also that she has experience in the American industry before and now knows why her previous english album pretty much failed. Learning from her mistake, she has a greater chance of making her songs more appealing to the western market this time.

Also Utada's English album is with Island Def Jam/Universial Music Group and should know the "tricks of the trade" considering they have Mariah Carey etc on their lists. Hence, Utada has a greater chance of success. Not sure if BoA's english album is with any American group, but if its with a Korean one, her chances are slim.

Example of Utada recently singing english would be in NeYo's "Do You" feat Utada song which IMO is pretty good.

BoA has a chance but then again, considering that her english gets ALOT better and her agency does everything perfectly, she COULD become successful.

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
She's a goner.

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=6124

The singing is atrocious.

oh dear Confused
juno_senei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Prodigy_child wrote:
. . . she still needs to work on her communication area--her English is not yet up to par--not on the level SE7EN has improved in the last year.

SE7EN has done an amazing job so far. And to be honest, I truly believe that he has the talent and ambition to make it here in the US. Yes, it won't be easy...but it's not impossible.

Prodigy_child wrote:
But it really depends if the promotion is done right and if they could bring themselves out to American audiences.

EXACTLY. So until I actually see them on TV, hear them on the radio, or see them in magazines...I can't believe in their success.

*sighs*

I won't dismiss it. I'm proud that they've made it this far. Don't give up. We need Asian representation *Anime smile* LOL!!!

Watch this: Anyband - ft Boa, Tablo, Xiah, and Jin Bora
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
oh dear, I couldn't even get through that video (as a musician it's even worse). However, my laptop did throw up her duet with KodaKumi "I want to know the meaning of peace and love" for me on shuffle a few days ago, so if she can like that in English maybe...
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
she has an american website too:

http://www.boaamerica.com/
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Laughing 'you the finest thing in history' Laughing

It has a good beat though. I don't think I'd say it's single material, but it's good.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
there's a "making of" video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHnxOj3E8Vk&feature=related

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goKaVDvJYpk&feature=related

also, I didn't realize that Rain (or rain's promoters) were in so much legal trouble.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2