• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
I've noticed quite a few new series popping up here and there from various sources, took me a while to realise we're actually in Summer now, hence new anime Embarassed

I've been so busy watching the spring releases and catching up on missed treasures from years ago that the new stuff slipped under the radar. The only series I've read much about (and am currently enjoying as a result) is Tetsuwan Birdy Decode. I've yet to find a comprehensive guide to the new summer shows, is there anything I'm missing out on? I've grabbed an episode or two of Telepathy Shoujo Ran and Antique Bakery, but haven't got round to watching them yet...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I have to say that there really isn't too much of interest for me this season, at least not that I know of (I'm wondering if we're going to get another set of reviews like we did for the spring season). I've checked out a few, but haven't found anything great yet.

The main one I was looking forward to is Blade of the Immortal, which only just started yesterday I believe and so I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm hoping it's done well, because I have a lot of friends who just love the manga and I'd like to have some idea of what the heck they are talking about.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
I think this thread will actually be a good opportunity for me as well, to organize any new fan threads and such. However, I ask that you all try not to make this strictly a bunch of lists. If you're going to put a title down, please give some kind of one-two sentence description, or even start a new thread if want to help spread the word or whatever.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
So far the only one I'm interested in is Antique Bakery, but no one seems to be doing avis, which is sad. Oh well, I guess I can stream them.

This is based on one of my all time favorite manga, so I have high expectations for this anime. I've seen only episode one, and so far I like it very much. They jumped right into the storyline, which isn't quite how the manga started, but I actually prefer it this way.

What annoys me is that people keep yelling about "this yaoi smut" on some of the other messageboards I go to, and it's not. I wish people would understand that just because there is one gay character, it's not yaoi. It's definitely way more comedic slice of life than anything else.

And the desserts sound heavenly. Very Happy
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater (TV) - Action/Comedy - pretty much the hit of this summer (and next year too in America). Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a "Death Scythe" and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch. (imo) its the one to watch, great fluid fighting scenes mixed with great action and comedy plus a great soundtrack.

Itazura na Kiss (TV) - Romance/Comedy - In the romantic comedy story, a high school girl named Kotoko finally tells a fellow senior named Naoki that she has loved him from afar since she saw him on their first day of high school. However, Naoki, a haughty "super-ikemen" (handsome male) with smarts and sports talent, rejects her offhand. Fate intervenes when a mild earthquake ruins Kotoko's family house. While the house gets rebuilt, Kotoko and her dad stay at the home of her dad's childhood friend...whose son is Naoki. From what other's have said and what i have looked up this is the original Romantic Comedy that others have looked up too.

Slayers Revolution (TV) - Action/Comedy/Fantasy - Having lost the Sword of Light in the previous battle, Lina and Gourry continue their journey in search of a replacement weapon. On the way, the two of them meet up with Amelia and Zelgadis in the kingdom of Luvinagard while taunting some pirates. Lina is happy to reunite with her old friends, but appearing before her is Luvinagard's Inspector of the Special Investigative Unit; a man called Wizer. However, Lina is amazed at his unusual behavior... the new season (4th) to the hit series is back and better than ever, keeping the same drawing style but with update technology makes this great comedy look even better, definitly worth it if you love the series.

Chocolate Underground (ONA) - Action/Mecha - set in the near future the Perfect Health Special Act has been passed and all "unhealthy" foods are banned. Clocking in at only 3:30mins each episode this seems to be an anime that is lashing out on the latest Japanese law to make it illegal to be over a certain weight.

Strike Witches (TV) - Ecchi/Lolicon/Military/Mecha Mesume - The year is 1939 - it was then that the Neuroi appeared. Nobody knows where they came from or what their ultimate agenda is, but the fact remains that their attacks drove people out of their towns and cities. In order to take arms against them, humanity develops a new anti-Neuroi weapon called the "Strike Unit." Using the power of magic to fight against the monsters, this new devices enhances and amplifies the power of female magic-wielders. To use this devices, young witches from all over the world have been brought together to form an elite task force unit called the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, commonly known as the "Strike Witches." Pretty much the Moe, Lolicon anime for the summer season and they are really blunt about it. If you want an anime to look at panty shots and nothing more than this is the one for you.

World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin (TV) - Adventure/Fantasy - In a world where humans serve as livestock for the ruling beastman, and where sand fills the roles of water and fire. Kyrie is recruited by the "World Destruction Committee" to assist in putting an end to their world. Kyrie alone holds the power needed to do it. (IMO) im having mixed feelings about this, the story is great for an adventure anime but i'm not liking the cat people or the teddy bear pirate. You might have a different opinion about it but dont rule it out just yet.

The Telepathy Girl Ran (TV) - Mystery - Ran is a bright and energetic first-grader in junior high school who possesses supernatual abilities. Together with Midori (her friend who also has supernatural powers) and Rui, the threesome are constantly embroiled in mysterious circumstances. Ran is troubled by her powers because it seems to spark off the ill intentions of people in contact with her. However, with the support of her family and peers, Ran learns to deal with her 'other' side and accepts who she is. The threesome also learn how to team up as a whole and solve these mysterious events. Key has seen this and said its really good, i haven't seen it but it looks promising.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (TV) - comedy/romance - Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu centers around Yūto Ayase and Haruka Nogizaka. Yūto is seemingly ordinary, but Haruka is attractive, intelligent, and rich, which prompts other students to idolize her and even give her French nicknames like "Nuit Étoile" (The Silver Star of the Night) and "Lumière du Clavier" (The Shining Princess on the Piano). One day, Yūto wanders into the school library in order to return a book and accidentally stumbles upon Haruka's deepest, darkest secret: she is a diehard fan of anime and manga, in other words, a regular otaku. Promising Haruka to keep this a secret, Yūto becomes her advisor and confidente of some sort and hangs out with her more, though earning some viciously envious glares from his fellow schoolmates. FROM undeadben: There's a bit of fanservice, to be expected from the same company that produced Kodomo no Jikan, so that might push a few more away as well; that and the moe... Ok, well every show is not for everyone, and this show seems to be for less than others (though maybe not as few as Strike Witches), but I enjoyed the first episode and won't mind watching a few more.

thats all i have for now
poonk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
So far the only one I'm interested in is Antique Bakery, but no one seems to be doing avis, which is sad. Oh well, I guess I can stream them.
I'd like to see avi files too; I guess we'll just have to wait for a certain group from a certain forum. This is the one series I'm anticipating most this summer, now that Junjou's done (okay, honestly, looking over the line-up, it's the only new one I'm anticipating).

Quote:
What annoys me is that people keep yelling about "this yaoi smut" on some of the other messageboards I go to, and it's not. I wish people would understand that just because there is one gay character, it's not yaoi. It's definitely way more comedic slice of life than anything else.
Obviously they haven't read the manga then, right? I think it's being commonly categorized as yaoi because, A.) A lot of Yoshinaga Fumi's other titles are yaoi (speaking of which, where can I go to suggest a Gerard & Jacques anime? Very Happy ) so a lot of yaoi fans are interested in Antique Bakery by association; and B.) You're right, to some people, one openly gay character (albeit one of the main characters) necessarily makes it yaoi. I've only read the first 4 volumes of the manga (is there more to come that hasn't been translated yet? I'm not even sure) and, while it's quite good, it's still not yaoi (she saves that for her own Antique doujinshi, it seems). Unless, of course, something happens in future volumes, of which I'm unaware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
cool3865, Itazura na Kiss and Soul Eater started in the spring, not this summer.

This is no where near as good as an ANN preview, but here are some thoughts of what I've seen so far, I linked to all the titles in the encyclopedia so people can read plot summaries, which I'm no good at...

undeadben note: I was going to actually write all new comments for this topic but, as usual, I got lazy. So like with some of my other posts, a lot of this was just copied from "My Anime."

Birdy the Mighty Decode - The pickins really are slim, but this is a pretty fun show. It has some potentially interesting characters and some decent action and sci-fi stuff. I started a thread about it but it is already getting buried so I'm not sure if too many others are into it. However I'll get back and post some more on that thread once I've had a chance to watch the second episode. So far this is probably my favorite of the Summer shows.

Ikkitousen: Great Guardians - Well this show officially started a week before summer but it is in the "range." How would my summer be like without some Ikki Tousen fanservice? I've somewhat defended the first two series because I though they had decent plots they were trying to pass amidst the fanservice, but this show is different. It is supposed to be an original story *cough*filler*cough* but saying it is a story would be giving it way too much credit. I can't defend the plot in this series because it has none, well in 4 episodes watched it doesn't, I don't know about later. There are still a few fights but this show is so far just mostly comedic and entirely about the fanservice. And they are taking it to greater heights, more actual nipples and more, shall I say "texture" in the panty shots, plus some fantasy yuri action, there were some scenes in episode 4 which were, ahem, interesting. Despite it all though, I am liking the show. Seriously. Don't look at me like that. It's mindless, occasionally funny, and full of fanservice. This might be the first Ikki Tousen series that truly is just a fanservice show, as many have complained about the previous two series, but so what, it entertains in its own way.

Natsume Yūjin-Chō - In the first episode this show is sort of stuck between places. It has this silliness, that while humorous, doesn’t really fit its other side too well. The other side is the potential for a really good story following an interesting supernatural theme. Also the first episode rushes the set up too much. It could have added a bit more for Natsume to gradually discover a couple of the things he learned seemingly all at once. I can see there might be a problem with flow and timing. Natsume is a good character, though. Because of the pacing to rush into the plot we don’t get a real good look at his character early, but there is enough to see a bit of what his life has been like and that he is a kind and considerate person despite it. And it is still early to pass judgment but the reason I have all these early complaints is because the show has so much damn potential, so I’ll keep watching hoping for good things to come.

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu - This is another show I started a topic about and cool3865 also posted some of my comments about it up there. I though going in this was supposed to be another otaku oriented show like Comic Party or Genshiken or others. Instead it looks like it'll just be a fluffy school life romantic comedy with just a bit of otaku flavor. It does look cute and fun though so I'm still watching.

Strike Witches - In an alternate past there is a very serious problem. It seems that there is a severe shortage in skirts, pants, dresses, and shorts for young girls. Oh, and also there is an unknown alien race with advanced destructive weapons trying to destroy everything and young witches, probably something to do with the clothing shortage, are asked to battle these visitors from above. I'm not sure if the story is really gonna go anywhere but as with the original OAV this series is a fetishists dream. But there is an attempt at a story so I'll catch maybe a couple more episodes to see if it takes it anywhere.

The Telepathy Girl Ran - This show is a bit darker than I thought it would be but that also makes it more interesting. However despite its dark moments I like that the show still keeps somewhat of a childlike innocence to it. The story sets up well in the first two episodes. We learn a bit about the leads and a little bit about what motivates them, good for character development, and we know a little bit about this world. Of course nothing is given away in what appears to be a good mystery show so I suppose I’ll just have to try and figure it out. The show is a bit like Denno Coil in the mystery aspect and that it follows the lives of children primarily, I'm not saying it is exactly like it or a copycat, but just for comparison.

World Destruction: Sekai Bokumetsu no Rokunin - Is this show brilliant or idiotic? I guess there’s a ways before I find out having only seen the first episode. For now it is entertaining and can be down right funny. I’m not sure about the plot, it’s shaky to begin with, and after the first episode nothing is really established yet. Actually, even though the humor is pretty good I’m not sure if the series is actually a comedy. Also the first episode is so busy that the characters aren’t really established yet either and I’m really not sure about the talking teddy bear; that’s kind of iffy, as are the other talking animals, but the teddy bear might be a bit much. Well I guess it really is too early to tell so I’ll just have to keep watching.

Zero no Tsukaima: Princesses no Rondo - The first episode, just like the first episode for the second series did, shows an awful lot of potential. There is a story set up. The characters aren’t really developing but they are getting closer so that’s some change. However there is also just as much room to think that the series will try to do too many things and not properly balance the story again which will take a lot away from the things the franchise does well, comedy or storytelling. I still want to watch it, so what I’m gonna do in all the episodes to follow, is not have any expectations whatsoever and just enjoy the good parts when they come.

And I'm also interested in Mahō Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora. It is supposed to be an adaptation of the manga that was a spin off of the spin off of the Someday Dreamers manga. So, while I'm not sure if after spinning off so much there is still anything that ties to the Someday Dreamers manga, I want to watch the Someday's Dreamers anime, which I happen to have on DVD and is an adaptation of the Someday's Dreamers manga, before I get to this series.

And I was actually interested in watching Ultraviolet: Code 044 because I'm one of the few who really liked the movie, but it doesn't look like any of the fansubbing groups share my interest in this show. I honestly don't know much of what this series is about but I think it could be good. Here's some info from when it was announced in case anyone's interested: Anime of Jovovich's Ultraviolet Film Confirmed
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo a.k.a. Ryoko's Case File. Having watched just the first episode, the series is based on a detective named Ryoko (oddly enough) who is somewhat eccentric in her ways but is a very skilled detective, particularly in cases which involve the supernatural. Her primary assistant is a man named Izumida who seems somewhat skilled himself and is not the usual tag-along that we sometimes see in detective type shows.

The anime is very stylish in its presentation and displayed good animation quality. Toward the end of the first episode we also meet Ryoko's chief rival who seems to be investigating the same series of crimes. The ideas are pretty straightforward, but with the inclusion of the supernatural themes I think it will turn out very interesting. I found the characters to be intriguing as well, so I am looking forward to it.

poonk wrote:
I'd like to see avi files too

Not to go off track too much discussing technical things (as I've done before Embarassed ), but if you use the free player Media Player Classic with the also free CCCP codec pack, this will allow you to view the other primary filetypes as well, including mkv and mp4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo a.k.a. Ryoko's Case File.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about this one. I guess there is one other series that interests me this summer. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Quote:
poonk wrote:
I'd like to see avi files too
Not to go off track too much discussing technical things (as I've done before Embarassed ), but if you use the free player Media Player Classic with the also free CCCP codec pack, this will allow you to view the other primary filetypes as well, including mkv and mp4.
In my particular case, it's not that I can't watch mkv files, it's just that I like to convert stuff to mp4 and watch it on my iPod and I need avi files for that. But thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Slim pickings indeed. I was only able to find 2 interesting ones myself.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode-I liked the original OVA from way back so I was surprised and excited to see this come out. So far it seems like a great modern reimagining with an interesting style that reminds me of Noein.

Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians- Picked this up because I really enjoyed the previous two installments in the franchise. This one so far has not failed to deliver in either the comedy, action, or fanservice departments (which is really all these series have going for them in truth) so it succeeds in my book. Looking forward where they're going with the story though and how the heck spoiler[Ryofu is alive.]

I'm going to check out Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo though now since it sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:

This is the only summer show I have any interest in besides possibly Blade of the Immortal. It's from Brains Base (studio behind the recent popular Kure-nai), and the director of Baccano!, and I've heard almost exclusively good things about it. I say "almost" because of undeadben's post. Wink

I was going to make a thread for the show but I'm not even watching it yet (probably not even till it's finished). Still have to pick up where I left off from spring, in which Library War is the only one I've watched (and completed) since July 1.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Birdy the Mighty: Decode- [...] So far it seems like a great modern reimagining with an interesting style that reminds me of Noein.

Well, duh. Birdy the Mighty Decode is from from the same director. Razz

Anyway, I also agree that there's not much out there this season. I'll be checking out 8 series this summer, which is significantly less than the 21 series that interested me in the spring.

Natsume Yūjin-Chō: Easily my favorite series so far this season. It's got a lot of great things going for it. 1) It's from the director of the gem that was last summer's Baccano!. 2) It's animated by Brains Base; the folks who animated the recent hit Kure-nai. 3) It has a feel that reminds me of Mushi-Shi. Plus, I adore the ending theme. Anime catgrin

The Telepathy Girl Ran: My second favorite. Decent animation, appealing character designs, nice music. Not to mention the writing has been pretty good as well. So far, this series has been a winner. Hopefully it can retain it's form throughout.

I'm also watching Chocolate Underground and World Destruction, both of which are from Production I.G. Nothing remarkable from both series thus far (save for the production values and World Destruction's awesome opening theme), but still enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm still waiting for Blade of the Immortal and Ultraviolet: Code 044 to be subbed and I've already dropped both Birdy the Mighty Decode and Ryoko's Case File.

EDIT:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I was going to make a thread for [Natsume Yūjin-Chō] but I'm not even watching it yet (probably not even till it's finished).

Hmm .... maybe I'll have to make it then. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Natsume Yūjin-Chō: ... 3) It has a feel that reminds me of Mushi-Shi.

I actually got kind of the same feeling when I was watching the show, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

As others said, there wasn't a whole lot of characterization in the first episode, but I think it set up the series well and I expect we'll get to know Natsume better as the series goes on.

I'm actually really enjoying the continuing spring and new summer shows, a lot more so than the fall and winter offerings which were kind of a lull for me. I'm already watching 6 shows that are continuing from Spring. Plus there's several from the new crop that I think I will be keeping up with: Telepathy Girl Ran, Natsume Yujin-Cho, Ryoko's Case Files, and World Destruction. There's one or two more that I need to check out still as well.

I kind of feel revitalized as a fan Very Happy

(As if I needed more of an excuse to watch more anime Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
undeadben wrote:

This is the only summer show I have any interest in besides possibly Blade of the Immortal. It's from Brains Base (studio behind the recent popular Kure-nai), and the director of Baccano!, and I've heard almost exclusively good things about it. I say "almost" because of undeadben's post. Wink

He. I'm usually a lot more nitpicky with shows when I know they can potentially be great. And Natsume Yūjin-Chō can potentially be the best show of the summer. Potential irks me. Confused

However the second episode, which I just finished, is much better. The humor didn't distract from the story, although it did still stick out, and the pacing, almost like that of a slice of life story, made it easier to just watch. The supernatural elements were used nicely in separate ways and, though there wasn't a great deal of development, we got nice different glimpses of Natsume's past, as well as Reiko's, which will probably be important later on. All the elements were handled better that in episode 1.

The second episode living up to potential puts this at the top as my favorite of the summer season so far, although I'm still not caught up with Telepathy Shoujo Ran so this might be temporary Razz . It is still too early to rate any of the summer shows though.

Back on topic..

I forgot to mention an OAV I'm looking forward to:

School Rumble Sangakki - I really wish there'd be another full TV series but I'll take what I can get. I'm not sure what story they'll do for the OAV or if there'll be multiple stories told but I definitely want to watch it. I don't remember where Nigakki ended in comparison the the manga, but I know there are some pretty good stories coming up. Also, as long as Harima, Yakumo, and Eri are involved I know I'll like it; all my favorite moments in the manga involve those three.

Last edited by undeadben on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
[....] I've already dropped both Birdy the Mighty Decode and Ryoko's Case File.

Man, this summer anime is really starting to become quite the disappointment. With Blade of the Immortal being added to the junk pile, I've now dropped 3 out of the 8 series I've started. I don't expect that I'll be sticking with Ultraviolet: Code 044 for very long either. I was only planning on checking out that series for kicks anyway. And here I was hoping that my luck from the spring season was going to carry over. Oh well. Sad

undeadben wrote:
However the second episode [of Natsume Yūjin-Chō], which I just finished, is much better.

That's great to hear. Especially since I loved the first episode. Based upon what you said, I bet I'll be absolutely smitten with the series after viewing episode 2. If that's the case, there's no question I'll be starting a thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3