• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
And Death Note strikes again!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
This town is relatively close to mine, about 50 miles southwest.

Overreaction in Alabama? No surprises there.

I'd like to hear some statistics on how many kids in the past 10 years who've been found to have these "hit lists" have actually had guns or any weaponry stored somewhere. Ie, I'd like to hear how many of these suspensions were justified. Especially with the rise of this show.

As is, if a kid or teen buys a Death Note notebook from Hot Topic, he's highly likely to get in trouble or searched just because he has a notebook labeled "Death Note". It's like this show is being blacklisted just based on its name. Maybe they should've named it something like "Justice Journal" or something less immediately threatening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
I do have to give the sheriff credit though.

Quote:
Handy said the students were inspired by the Death Note series on the Adult Swim network, but he also said there was no indication that the student were serious about planning an attack.

He was at least aware of the show. These previous 2 incidents had the entire school staff and parent circle not even knowing it was based on a show. I give him credit for knowing it was based on a show, and thusly not really overreacting. Who knew, Alabama has the adults most aware of anime. My mind is boggled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
halo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
Thank's for canning a reaction for me Zac! Your Worf gif says it all.

Evelas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Overreaction in Alabama? No surprises there.

I can second that, seeing as I live south of Gadsden myself. Razz

RogueJedi86 wrote:
I do have to give the sheriff credit though.

Quote:

Handy said the students were inspired by the Death Note series on the Adult Swim network, but he also said there was no indication that the student were serious about planning an attack.

He was at least aware of the show. These previous 2 incidents had the entire school staff and parent circle not even knowing it was based on a show. I give him credit for knowing it was based on a show, and thusly not really overreacting. Who knew, Alabama has the adults most aware of anime. My mind is boggled.

I wouldn't really say that the sheriff was "aware" of anime; according to the Gadsden Times article, the kids told him about it and said it was just a joke. He probably just researched it and put two and two together. If you're right though, I'd agree with you.

If the sheriff is correct in assuming that these kids didn't intend to actually attack anyone, then I bet the kids just thought the idea of having a Death Note was "cool" or, as they said, a "joke". Even so, I don't blame the school for at least looking into it. I mean, how could they know if these kids were just "being cool" or venting aggression in a safe (albeit not smart) way, or actually planning a hit list? We unfortunately live in a time where this kind of thing could happen. I'll bet most of the adults involved had never even heard of Death Note before this happened. Let me put it this way: If you were a school official and had never heard of Death Note or anime in general, and saw a notebook labeled "Death Note" with a list of teachers/students names in there, what would your first assumption be? And if the kids were dumb enough to put a cause of death for people in there as well, it'd just add more fuel to the fire.

Still, I'm disappointed that the immature/stupid anime fan epidemic has hit my home state. I'm in no way excusing the kids' behavior; no matter how harmless that notebook may have been, it was still a stupid thing to do.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
I think this has less to do with immature stupid fans and more to do with just plain immature kids. (Okay I know that's sort of a redundant statement but kids seem even less mature lately than usual.)

What really amazes me is that people think something like this is funny. "Wow, I'm joking about causing people's deaths! Hilarious!"

Really, what is so funny about killing people? Also, how stupid do you have to be to even imply something about killing people in a school? Perhaps no one was aware of this but there have been a couple of shootings on campuses where people died and it kind of has everyone worried.

I mean, geez, every parent in the country should be having this discussion with their kids before sending them off to school. Especially in any southern state. We have a lot of kids with access and the ability to use guns. Our schools are going to take even vague threats like this a lot more seriously than some places.

So kids, don't make these kinds of jokes. At all. Period. Just don't do it. (Light is more disappointed in all of you than Worf.)
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
I suppose Columbine and Virginia Tech etc have made us rather paranoid but is there really justifiable cause for arresting the boys and sending them to juvey?

I guess I'm such a rotten parent, I'd have laughed myself sick at the school's reaction.

I'm willing to bet had Death Note been around when I was a picked on 12 year old, I would have had a Death Note all of my own, complete with teachers and and students who ground my butt to the bone Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Some of you have said that words in a notebook do not mean anything.

The boys who went in and murdered their schoolmates and teachers at Columbine also wrote in a website about what they wanted/planned to do. Scroll down to "Warning Signs" And if I remember correctly one of them also turned in a rather violent essay. They were not taken seriously...which resulted in the MURDERS of TWELVE people and the WOUNDING OF TWENTY-THREE.

I watched that on TV. In my safe home in California. And I prayed to God that it would never, ever happen to anyone again.

And if it takes school officials coming down like a ton of bricks on the heads of little morons like these - who may have just been joking around - then fine. So be it. I'd rather have them stop something before it began then for more families to have to bury their children.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Miho wrote:
*Sigh* Again? When will these kids learn? They're giving anime fans a bad name.

You can say that again. I swear, all those young dimbulbs are giving the other anime fans a bad name. However, sometimes I wonder why Deathnote was created in the first placed.

Surely the author knew SOME trouble would occur. When will these kids learn? When someone is hurt or worse? What a horriable sitution those kids are in. But they brought it upon them selves.

It's a STORY just because some people can't differential between reality and fantasy doesn't give them the right to impose their "My Little Pony/Care Bears" view of the world on me. I read murder mysteries as fast as I can turn the pages but that doesn't mean I condone murder or plan to go murder people.

If all manga anime were craptastic giggly shojo, I wouldn't be a manga/anime fan at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sykoeent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
I love how we, as Americans, are so quick to attack Death Notes but other forms of "indications of trouble" are often not as heavily focused on. There, now don't be surprised everyone, is a street gang problem here in America. There are signs that lead to these types of garbage and yet we don't clean it up. We're quick to attack Death Note, we're quick to fight a war for oil... I mean against "terror", yet we don't do anything about the terrorists in our own country. In my opinion, we do need a real Death Note in the right hands.
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
*Sigh* Again? When will these kids learn? They're giving anime fans a bad name.

Overly defensive anime fans are starting to give anime fans in general a bad name as well. It's a shame.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Frankly the most telling thing about all this is that these kind of things almost never happen outside the US (school massacres I mean). You crazy gun toting americans Rolling Eyes ....

To be serious I don't think Schools should be so trigger happy about arresting kids who say they want to kill someone, people say that kind of thing all the time, but they almost never mean it.

Anyway why are there crazy and isolated kids who want to kill people? That's the real problem. There were never any kids like that in my school.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
Frankly the most telling thing about all this is that these kind of things almost never happen outside the US (school massacres I mean). You crazy gun toting americans Rolling Eyes ....

To be serious I don't think Schools should be so trigger happy about arresting kids who say they want to kill someone, people say that kind of thing all the time, but they almost never mean it.

Anyway why are there crazy and isolated kids who want to kill people? That's the real problem. There were never any kids like that in my school.
You obviously didn't have the internet, or various video games, DS, or PSP when you were in school then?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

Really?

Hmm... I don't suppose that you'd be willing to take a drive over and dig around a bit? Maybe find some stuff the press hasn't figured out? Like maybe... I dunno, maybe this kid was trying a creative way to take a week off from school? Maybe there's some kind of moral panic going on? Maybe they're latino boys, and race is a factor?

Your avatar is a photojournalist, you can't claim you're not interested. ~_^
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You obviously didn't have the internet, or various video games, DS, or PSP when you were in school then?

People didn't tend to play those in school, though there were a good few nerds and whatnot, DS and PSP always seemed like something you'd do on a plane, we usually played card games in school, and you can't really play video games IN school
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8