• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - What A Horrible Halloween To Have A Column

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:27 am Reply with quote
A someone who speaks both English and Japanese, I respect the stance that having real people involved matters (AI is not the way), but question the blind faith that every single decision on every single script came with some higher-up's seal of approval. There are too many plot-holes specific to the English versions of script-heavy games like Tales of Arise, Digimon Survive, and Unicorn Overlord (to name just a few titles that stuck with me) for me to believe that every inch of every script is checked for consistency, especially if I can find glaring issues just by playing through from start to finish. That level of quality control is absolutely true for titles like the Ace Attorney games (Janet Hsu runs a tight ship), but much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I suspect they're the exception and not the rule. The real problem isn't an agenda, but that people are just overworked and underpaid and nobody really cares once a sale has been made.

But on a lighter note, I think I even saw Cornell in that Vampire Survivors trailer. Guess that makes both it and the DLC a must-buy. It wasn't really on my radar before, but it is now.

Also, I second every title on that spooky games list.
BrazillianCara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
After this DLC, the funniest/most awesome thing Vampire Survivors can do eventually is to have a crossover with Bloodstained.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Huh, there’s a thought. How much are the energy costs vs human costs? I mean most of these AI engines won’t be sustainable unless they get hooked up to dedicated nuclear reactors, but how much is that vs employing translators and proofreaders?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Things are rough for Castlevania fans, because Konami hasn't been doing much for those games. It seemed like a new compilation of the beloved Nintendo DS titles was the most we could hope for. Poncle will do what Konamisn't, and ensure that anyone hankering for some good ol' Castlevania goes home with a heaping plateful.

Should be V Rising also be included since that also dropped CastleVania DLC just this summer?
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
A someone who speaks both English and Japanese, I respect the stance that having real people involved matters (AI is not the way), but question the blind faith that every single decision on every single script came with some higher-up's seal of approval. There are too many plot-holes specific to the English versions of script-heavy games like Tales of Arise, Digimon Survive, and Unicorn Overlord (to name just a few titles that stuck with me) for me to believe that every inch of every script is checked for consistency, especially if I can find glaring issues just by playing through from start to finish. That level of quality control is absolutely true for titles like the Ace Attorney games (Janet Hsu runs a tight ship), but much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I suspect they're the exception and not the rule. The real problem isn't an agenda, but that people are just overworked and underpaid and nobody really cares once a sale has been made.

In my experience, that kind of issue isn't really a problem with the team lead so much as it is everyone skimping on testing. Being able to catch that sort of context issue is a valuable skill (I've tried to teach it to people to no success) but the money people don't seem to get that and won't ever hire those people on or pay them what they're worth. The result is that even if a project is given ample time for humans to play through the game, they may leave obvious contradictions in the main route (to say nothing of harder to access dialogue.) Since game translations are nearly always done without sufficient context, you've got to have human testers who know how to check text, but those skills are always on the chopping block even before these dipshits start talking about bringing in AI.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I get wanting to use AI for translation, but the usability is really not there yet. Especially not for something like Trails, which so referential to the broader series. Its a soup of weird proper nouns, even by RPG standards.

I'm gonna be a shameless SaGa apologist here, and note that the remake for Romancing SaGa 2 came out this week. I can't shake the feeling that it was sent out to die, given the rest of the RPG competition in October, but I've been quite enjoying it thus far. Its also probably the cleanest entry point into the franchise as a whole- a lot of the unexplained background mechanics are now presented cleanly and easily for players to see. which has long been something the franchise needed to do.
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Poncle, huh? I love Okami and was not expecting to see poncles brought up here. I think that's the origin of their name because the only results are Okami and their studio. If so hell yeah~

As for people being weird about translations, I think that is a thing that can happen with niche interests and stuff. People don't get as weird about it as they do for anime, but I have heard of some niche fan circles arguing a lot about translation for other things. I think it has to do with it being a combination of a niche interest and escapism. People with niche interests love minutia and people looking for escapism, hate their "realism" that aligns with a narrow worldview being broken. Couching arguments in concerns about correctness or authenticity is one of the most classic ways to spew toxic sludge under the guise of impassioned intellectualism, hopefully one day anime and video game fans can calm down (god forbid you're an anime game fan, that gets real messy).

Beatdigga wrote:
Huh, there’s a thought. How much are the energy costs vs human costs? I mean most of these AI engines won’t be sustainable unless they get hooked up to dedicated nuclear reactors, but how much is that vs employing translators and proofreaders?

I believe doing translation work on computers uses some amount of energy that isn't negligible, but part of why that comparison is hard to make is then you have the AI processing energy costs as well the proofreaders' energy cost as well. Since we don't have a model for what making a polished translation based on an AI foundation looks like, it's hard to say how many additional work hours are needed for such a task and it could be a pretty good amount of energy from proofreading + AI energy costs.

At the end of the day, even if we got it to a similar point in energy use and accuracy there are still many downsides like loss of employment and the fact it will hamper the field of translation. Because even if we made the perfect translation machine for the year 2024 language will continue to develop and for AI to keep it will need more translations that factor in the changes to grow, except if AI were the norm then there would be an ever decreasing data bank of translations that actually understand the changes that have occurred. Thus AI translation will become unsustainable in a data sense regardless of the energy costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1