• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf: merchant meets the wise wolf Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not really surprising at this stage but i won't have to worry about that while watching the last moment of today's episode, they might really intend to make a full adaptation if so let's continue this way for 6 whole seasons until the last volume.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
It's not really surprising at this stage but i won't have to worry about that while watching the last moment of today's episode, they might really intend to make a full adaptation if so let's continue this way for 6 whole seasons until the last volume.

They don't need 6 seasons though.The main story is just 17 volumes and 4 of them are side-story collections. So 3-4 seasons is enough for the full adaptation depending on the pace.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is a real shock. I am glad it will continue.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
They don't need 6 seasons though.The main story is just 17 volumes and 4 of them are side-story collections. So 3-4 seasons is enough for the full adaptation depending on the pace.

Main story is up to 24 volumes and still ongoing as of January 2023. The sequel Wolf and Parchment is up to 11 volumes as of September 2024.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

Main story is up to 24 volumes and still ongoing as of January 2023. The sequel Wolf and Parchment is up to 11 volumes as of September 2024.

Spring Log aka vol. 18- are not the main story. These are just extra side stories even if some of them take place after the main story epilogue. The point is that adapting them is not necessary.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
The point is that adapting them is not necessary.

Who said anything about "necessary"? People will probably always want MOAR.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad to know it'll keep going. Very Happy
On one hand it kinda figures they'd do more since they went through the effort to relaunch the anime from the beginning, but on the other hand you never know with these kinds of things, lol.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! We'll finally officially go past what the original anime adapted!

Seems like they are committed to adapting the full story, which is amazing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So as someone who hasn't watched any of this version, where is it at in terms of covering previously-unadapted content? I know that season 1 ended by covering novel 4, which was skipped in the first adaptation, but this season would presumably start with a retread before getting to truly-new stuff, right? Just want to get a sense of what-all I'll need to watch when I get around to it.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
:flailing Kermit: YAAAAY!

It's amusing that this second season is also going to have to kick off retreading ground covered by the original series, but I'm looking forward to everything beyond that.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
So as someone who hasn't watched any of this version, where is it at in terms of covering previously-unadapted content? I know that season 1 ended by covering novel 4, which was skipped in the first adaptation, but this season would presumably start with a retread before getting to truly-new stuff, right? Just want to get a sense of what-all I'll need to watch when I get around to it.

Season 2 will most probably adapt vol. 5 (which was adapted in the old anime), 6, 8 and 9. To finish the plot with Eve.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Season 2 will most probably adapt vol. 5 (which was adapted in the old anime), 6, 8 and 9. To finish the plot with Eve.

Agreed. Of the three short stories which constitute v7 (Side Colors), one was the basis for episode 13 of this version and another is a multi-episode-length story from Holo's past that doesn't fit at all into the current timeline. The third takes place between the first two story arcs, so the opportunity to adapt it this time around has passed by. (In the original series, it was an OVA episode that Funimation classified as episode 7 for its release of the series.) My one slight concern is that volumes 8 and 9 are on the short side, so I could see something from one of the other Side Colors volumes being slipped in.

I also do agree that this announcement is a more solid indication that they intend to adapt the whole main story this time around. While the end of v9 is a good seasonal stopping point, the overall story's solidly in its middle at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Agreed. Of the three short stories which constitute v7 (Side Colors), one was the basis for episode 13 of this version and another is a multi-episode-length story from Holo's past that doesn't fit at all into the current timeline. The third takes place between the first two story arcs, so the opportunity to adapt it this time around has passed by. (In the original series, it was an OVA episode that Funimation classified as episode 7 for its release of the series.) My one slight concern is that volumes 8 and 9 are on the short side, so I could see something from one of the other Side Colors volumes being slipped in.

I also do agree that this announcement is a more solid indication that they intend to adapt the whole main story this time around. While the end of v9 is a good seasonal stopping point, the overall story's solidly in its middle at that point.

They are not that much shorther. Like around 30-40 pages difference.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear this! I really enjoyed watching this show and thought a second season wasn't confirmed, when I checked ANN this morning and there was no announcement.

Watching the final episode of season one tonight!

Hope the shipping intensifies next season.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
They are not that much shorther. Like around 30-40 pages difference.

30-40 pages/episode is a typical adaptation speed for this franchise, though. (And a lot of other light novel-based franchises, for that matter.) So that's a big enough difference to mean one less episode needed per novel for 8 and 9.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2