• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter Campaign for Macross II Anime Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've got a few of AnimEigo's kickstarter releases and they're great quality, but I'm still surprised this isn't just getting a normal release and needs to be kickstarted.
Though I guess that is AnimEigo's model now, so I probably shouldn't be too surprised.

Regardless, glad to see these titles beginning to come out.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This is easily the one I have the least interest in, based mostly on how little I know about it, but hell, I've thrown money at a few of AnimEigo's campaigns before, so why not?

The bigger question I have is about the original series. I know Funiroll put out a Robotech set, but has anyone ever said anything about a legitimate, non-screwed-around with release of Macross proper?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:34 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The bigger question I have is about the original series. I know Funiroll put out a Robotech set, but has anyone ever said anything about a legitimate, non-screwed-around with release of Macross proper?

I think it's a question of who has the rights to it. Both AnimEigo and ADV released the original version of Macross almost twenty years ago.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:02 am Reply with quote
Macross II may be the black sheep of the franchise, but I wouldn't say it's bad. Certainly, its worst bits are no worse than the lowest points of Delta or Seven. And it does have some really cool mechanical design, which alone makes it worth watching, I think. It's only major flaw is that it's maybe a little too derivative of the original series.

Beltane70 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

I think it's a question of who has the rights to it. Both AnimEigo and ADV released the original version of Macross almost twenty years ago.

Didn't ADv also do a DVD release of Macross II? I vaguely remember seeing a copy at a secondhand shop several years back.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:08 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Didn't ADv also do a DVD release of Macross II? I vaguely remember seeing a copy at a secondhand shop several years back.

That was Manga Entertainment.

It's good this release is coming along. I'm among those who do not like II (I've tried, multiple times!), but it still deserves a good quality release, especially since it has some great design work and music.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:40 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
The initial announcements didn't mention streaming, and were mostly focused on eventual home video releases, but they also didn't say anything about streaming not being part of the deal. It's just that getting material ready to stream is also a time-consuming, often slow process - especially for series that are 26-50 episodes long, have songs that need to be subtitled, etc.

Being more focused on home video releases is a mistake, IMHO. We're no more in the 90's, blindly buying VHS because it was the only way to get more anime at home. That's how I discovered DYRL and Mac Plus. Not Mac II because it already had a terrible reputation ^^'

In the US, from what I can see on social network, there's still a strong anime video market. But in some territories, home video releases have been totally outcasted by streaming services. It's a pity for me who grew up in the 90's with plenty of VHS releases, but it's factual, I cannot deny it.

So if Big West is really targeting a global take off of Macross, they should better consider streaming services in the first place. It's theoretically the "fastest" way to aim for a large audience and to gather new and old fans around the world. Maybe they're waiting for the next Macross from Sunrise. I really hope so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:41 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of physical media, but I agree it would be odd if there was no streaming component to this global release. I have to believe there will be.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:07 am Reply with quote
Physical releases are nice but if you don't live in a territory where they are sold, you have to then import which drives up the costs. Streaming makes so much more sense, even if there are physical releases because and as others have said, it's a quicker and easier way to get people interested.
MadOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I've got a few of AnimEigo's kickstarter releases and they're great quality, but I'm still surprised this isn't just getting a normal release and needs to be kickstarted.

It doesn't need to be kickstarted. We use kickstarter because it provides us with the ability to spend more on preproduction because we are selling direct to consumer rather than wholesale. This provides the budget for more special features, collecting and preserving more source materials, and so on.

The historical preservation aspect of our limited-edition releases (including the oral history aspects of the extra commentary tracks) is something that has become increasingly important to me over the years.

Best, R
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't necessarily consider Macross II horrible. But still regard it as one of the more forgettable entries of the Macross franchise because of it being in a separate continuity compared to most installments of the franchise. So will admit, feel a bit indifferent on this announcement and not too invested in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is easily the one I have the least interest in, based mostly on how little I know about it, but hell, I've thrown money at a few of AnimEigo's campaigns before, so why not?

As per the 2021 announcement about the agreement between Harmony Gold and Big West, HG still holds control over the original SDF series and Do You Remember Love. So I seriously doubt we'll see any release of either oncthe foreseeable future.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
I thought the best part of Macross II was the soundtrack. It was the first ever anime CD soundtrack I bought. I know there are different rewards for backers depending on how much they contribute. I think one reward could be to offer the soundrack to anyone who backs to a certain level. That is if whoever currently owns the rights to this album is willing to make it available.

lossthief wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

As per the 2021 announcement about the agreement between Harmony Gold and Big West, HG still holds control over the original SDF series and Do You Remember Love. So I seriously doubt we'll see any release of either oncthe foreseeable future.
Yeah I'm really interested in that too. I'd definitely back a Kickstarter to somehow convince Harmony Gold to make the original Macross available and subtitled.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Lossthief: Actually, Woodhead said no one knows who has DYRL.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lossthief: Actually, Woodhead said no one knows who has DYRL.

Yeah, the general consensus is that Toho has some international rights to DYRL, which was part of the reason why it even had those two dubbed VHS released by non-anime companies during the late 80s/early 90s; Toho licensed it out in those cases, not Big West or Harmony Gold.

Not impossible to work the licensing kinks out of, but it requires more work than anything Big West or Harmony Gold would be able to do on their own.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Though noteworthy that Harmony Gold had subbed versions of SDF Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada streaming subbed on Tubi before the new deal was struck albeit in terrible quality. SDF Macross was also available on Amazon Prime for a few years prior to this deal.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3