• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Console Crosses 100 Million in Sales

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Proud owner of a Switch here. Great console.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Proud owner of a Switch here. Great console.
Same here. It might just beat the SNES as my favorite console ever and considering how old that system (and me) is, that's saying something. Putting out another Mario Kart might just give it enough juice to beat the PS2 sales record.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I owned both Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite. Smile
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing that the Switch managed to reach those numbers, I wonder how those people who thought it was going to sell fewer units than the WiiU are right now.
The software numbers are even more impressive than the hardware in some aspects, Mario Kart 8 DX sold over 50 million if you count the WiiU version, and Animal Crossing New Horizon has dethroned the original Super Mario Bros. as the best-selling game of all time in Japan.
Now that Nintendo said that the Switch is in the middle of its lifecyle I wonder if it can come close to the PS2 and DS numbers. Nintendo can manage to make a lot of games that can move hardware, it's a shame that the only third-party games that can do similar numbers on the system are Monster Hunter: Rise, Momotaro Dentetsu and Minecraft, for a console with over 100 million units sold the Switch has less 3rd party support than previous Nintendo consoles, and with the numerous acquisitions by the competition Nintendo should try to grab some exclusives.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
and with the numerous acquisitions by the competition Nintendo should try to grab some exclusives.

Unless they’re planning to introduce a console where the graphics aren’t a step down from the competition I’d rather they not.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

The software numbers are even more impressive than the hardware in some aspects, Mario Kart 8 DX sold over 50 million if you count the WiiU version, and Animal Crossing New Horizon has dethroned the original Super Mario Bros. as the best-selling game of all time in Japan.

for a console with over 100 million units sold the Switch has less 3rd party support than previous Nintendo consoles,

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy though - if there's not much 3rd-party support, the only things people could buy would then be the 1st-party ones. That would further increase the sales of those games, and would explain why the numbers are that impressive (like network TV ratings pre-cable vs. post-cable)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1