• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix Releases "Translator's Notes" For Komi Can't Communicate Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is them trying to make good after several high profile subtitle controversies. I think its nice, but they really need to improve the tech behind their subs if they want to be contenders in the anime scene.
Columbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Is this supposed to be funny? TL-notes are frowned upon and are a sign of being unprofessional at translating/subtiteling Anime. They expect us to pay for their subpar service but they can't even do any typsetting which a show like Komi-san heavily relies on.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:
Is this supposed to be funny? TL-notes are frowned upon and are a sign of being unprofessional at translating/subtiteling Anime. They expect us to pay for their subpar service but they can't even do any typsetting which a show like Komi-san heavily relies on.

Eh? Why would the translation notes be bad and unprofessional? There are many puns with the names that could use TL notes and not a whole separate video to explain them. The thing that ruins the puns though is changing the order of the names for the west.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:

You do know that Netflix uses XML for subtitles, right? They're text-based, not graphical like DVD/Blu-ray subs.

Also, AnimEigo says "Hi" while waving a stack of liner notes.
Columbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Columbo wrote:

Eh? Why would the translation notes be bad and unprofessional? There are many puns with the names that could use TL notes and not a whole separate video to explain them. The thing that ruins the puns though is changing the order of the names for the west.

They have their place as liner notes but do not belong in subtitles. They are distracting and do not add anything to the entertainment value. It's entertainment not some japanese class.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Columbo wrote:

You do know that Netflix uses XML for subtitles, right? They're text-based, not graphical like DVD/Blu-ray subs.

Also, AnimEigo says "Hi" while waving a stack of liner notes.

I don't care what they use. If they want to destribute anime they should do it properly and not half assed. They have enough money and can invest in technology. Otherwise they shouldn't licence anime to begin with.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that they did this, but it would have been simple to just have a single line on the screen explain the meaning or even just have a notes section at the end of the episode if there was too much.

Nothing wrong with an onscreen note imo as long as you don't go overboard, otherwise liner notes are probably better.

I ended up moving from Netflix to fansubs though because they didn't leave out so much of the on screen text (not to mention the 2 week delay). Hopefully netflix can improve on that (especially for the second season)
SmurfRockRune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:

Nah, I'd rather actually understand the jokes hidden within character names and other non-translatable things than cater to someone who somehow gets distracted by a single line of text being on-screen.
Picky33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
Still didn't put the translations of there conversation from episode 1 on the board. i was fully expecting to see that in the video instead it only focused on the names of the characters, Hopefully Netflix does a series of these that include that conversation.

Luckily someone in the Forums for the episode review linked the translations.
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:

a) it depends on how it's done
b) TL notes are crucial for japanese heavy shows like monogatari or to a lesser extent, gintama. watching them without them is basically like watching them dubbed.

that said and all, i hope those TL notes of netflix are an optional button thing...right????
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
and btw, does anyone find it hilarious how a multi billion dollar company like netflix can't be bothered to invest in their sub tech?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:

They have their place as liner notes but do not belong in subtitles. They are distracting and do not add anything to the entertainment value.

Pretty subjective just in the same way with dub purists who complain about how subtitles on their own are distracting.

Columbo wrote:

I don't care what they use. If they want to destribute anime they should do it properly and not half assed. They have enough money and can invest in technology. Otherwise they shouldn't licence anime to begin with.

Or you could just not watch anything they produce if they won’t cater to your specific taste.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:
They have their place as liner notes but do not belong in subtitles. They are distracting and do not add anything to the entertainment value. It's entertainment not some japanese class.

Understanding references or puns is part of the entertainment, in my opinion. The only alternative to translator notes is doing what Capcom did with Gyakuten Saiban and giving the characters awkward English names like calling Komi "Kant Talker" or Najimi "Childe Friendo" which just doesn't fly with anime fans. People already have issues with Netflix for using Americanized stand names in Stone Ocean, and Joco instead of Chocolove in Shaman King.

#Neothegreneland wrote:
and btw, does anyone find it hilarious how a multi billion dollar company like netflix can't be bothered to invest in their sub tech?

Not particularly. Netflix is aimed at more mainstream audiences than anime fans, and I imagine services made specifically for anime have had a lot of people voicing opinions and criticism to get them where they are today in terms of sub quality. Crunchyroll may not be perfect, but it's probably going to cater to subtitle fans more than Netflix. For example, more people watched Squid Game, a live-action Korean drama on Netflix, dubbed than subbed. Subs are definitely an afterthought for them.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember a fan translation group for Zetsubou manga had a section at the end of the chapter that explained the puns of character's names. the official manga had a section at the end explaining lots of the references. (I don't remember if the fansubs for the anime explained it, though I feel like they did, but I do recall them translating [expletive] EVERYTHING, like everything on the blackboard or classroom walls). For series like SZS and Komi with massive amounts of Japanese puns, you really want to provide explanations.
I think for a series like Komi it's good to have translation notes. Honestly, the fact they didn't have them from the start is pretty surprising.

I mean maybe some people don't need to know of puns like Tadano Hitohito being basically "Just a Dude" but a lot of anime fans appreciate that extra level of understanding.

BonusStage wrote:
People already have issues with Netflix for using Americanized stand names in Stone Ocean

I don't know exactly what Netflix used but it was the same for Crunchyroll, they changed the names to avoid copyright seeing as most of the stand names are based on copyrighted band names. So in that case it's not Netflix's fault and there was already a precedent for it.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Nothing wrong with an onscreen note imo as long as you don't go overboard, otherwise liner notes are probably better.

I miss the extensive notes that many of the fansubs from the 20th Century had - the pause button is your friend here. Especially for shows that are "out there" (e.g., Neon Genesis Evangelion).

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Pretty subjective just in the same way with dub purists who complain about how subtitles on their own are distracting.

Seems that "dub purists" is an oxymoron. Rolling Eyes
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Columbo wrote:
It's entertainment not some japanese class.

It's 10x more entertaining when I actually understand the jokes in the context they were originally given. Always have loved the T/Ns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2