• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Gingi7890 wrote:
I loved this episode. It animated one of my favorite parts of the first novel spoiler[where Lena uses the cannons to help them get away - partly because it's the first time in the story that they acknowledge her as an equal, in my opinion.]

spoiler[It is probably the closest they've come to acknowledging her as a true comrade at this point in the series. And she earned it.]
Quote:
For the person who wondered what type of consequences Lena is going to face, spoiler[she gets demoted, which she does not care at all about. She also continues to use the cannon to support the next squadron.]

spoiler[I wonder if they might expand more on the fallout on Lena's side since we're probably going to be getting more anime original content with her to bridge the gap to the second cour. We're probably going to see Shiden and Bloody Reina in the finale, at the rate things are going.

I imagine we'll see Spearhead arrive at the Federacy to kick off volume 2.]

Key wrote:
Gingi7890 wrote:
I kind of wished they'd spoiler[included the scene where Lena visits the spearhead squadron's base - I don't know if it was cut for time, but I hope they include it next week.]

Don't think you have to worry here. Given the next episode's announced title, the scene you're talking about will almost certainly be a featured part of that episode - probably even the opening scene.

On another note, fun fact about that shot of the flowers at the end: spoiler[those are higanbana (aka red spider lilies), and legend has it that they bloom whenever two people part ways forever.] Not that that scene needed any extra weight, but it carries even more impact if you know that.

spoiler[It's especially poignant when you remember it's presence during volume 3, in complete contrast to how it is used here.]

The director really knows what he's doing.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Callum wrote:
However, the second reason is also my last remaining worry with 86. I prefer original series because they generally arrive at a definitive ending within their run. The 86 light novels are still ongoing and most light novels don't get the privileged Sword Art Online full adaptation treatment. Is this going to be another show where we all sit around hoping for a second season while light novel fans desperately try to get me to read the book? I realize there's still a second cour to come, but I'm hoping that every narrative arc gets a conclusion as satisfying as this one.

You don't have anything to worry about here. If the series ends where nearly all novel readers now think it will (and really, there's only one stopping point which makes any sense at all), then anime-only viewers will find it eminently satisfying.

BTW, good catch on Lena ignoring the traffic laws in her desperate run also being symbolic of her not playing by the rules anymore; I had missed that one. In retrospect, the series has been rather specific prior to this episode about showing Lena dutifully waiting for traffic signals, so the production team was setting up that add-on scene from the very beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saber721

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gingi7890 wrote:
I kind of wished they'd spoiler[included the scene where Lena visits the spearhead squadron's base - I don't know if it was cut for time, but I hope they include it next week.]

Don't think you have to worry here. Given the next episode's announced title, the scene you're talking about will almost certainly be a featured part of that episode - probably even the opening scene.

spoiler[Agreed, I just wonder how much of the episode its going to take up. I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Spearheads rescue by the Federacy until ep 11.]

Key wrote:
On another note, fun fact about that shot of the flowers at the end: spoiler[those are higanbana (aka red spider lilies), and legend has it that they bloom whenever two people part ways forever.] Not that that scene needed any extra weight, but it carries even more impact if you know that.

spoiler[We'll be seeing them again. You know the flower field Spearhead was talking about in the final scene is going to be the one Shin battles the Morpho in, and reunites with Lena.]

Also, I loved that whole final scene. Seeing Lena desperately running east as fast as she can to try and stay connected to Spearhead for as long as possible, to stay with them for just a moment longer before losing them, got me right in the feels.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
saber721 wrote:
Also, I loved that whole final scene. Seeing Lena desperately running east as fast as she can to try and stay connected to Spearhead for as long as possible, to stay with them for just a moment longer before losing them, got me right in the feels.

Oh. That's what she was doing (I thought it was weird she was running away from the base-station and so would lose the local signal sooner.....)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
BTW, good catch on Lena ignoring the traffic laws in her desperate run also being symbolic of her not playing by the rules anymore; I had missed that one. In retrospect, the series has been rather specific prior to this episode about showing Lena dutifully waiting for traffic signals, so the production team was setting up that add-on scene from the very beginning.

I was so focused on Lena's desperation that I missed that too, but in light of how many times the series has shown her waiting at that crosswalk it makes a lot of sense.

Probably a really far-fetched stretch of symbolism but the insert song kicking in after Lena got to the root of Shin's fight with his brother and calling him by name is what finally got him to get back up again felt fitting spoiler[because the song is titled "The Answer" and the answer to all of Shin's character problems usually ends up being Lena.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
I really like this series a lot, but I just can. not. get. past Lena's idiotic uniform. Every time the series floors it to wring the last drop of pathos and emotion from any situation, there's that bloody magical knight academy uniform to rip me right out of the story. It's like reading a page-turning mystery novel and having some moron poke you in the ribs every two pages. Yes, it's trivial, but that makes it all the more irritating because it was so unnecessary an irritant. Why couldn't they have just given her a nice, sober uniform befitting the tone of the series?
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really like this series a lot, but I just can. not. get. past Lena's idiotic uniform. Every time the series floors it to wring the last drop of pathos and emotion from any situation, there's that bloody magical knight academy uniform to rip me right out of the story. It's like reading a page-turning mystery novel and having some moron poke you in the ribs every two pages. Yes, it's trivial, but that makes it all the more irritating because it was so unnecessary an irritant. Why couldn't they have just given her a nice, sober uniform befitting the tone of the series?

The author really REALLY loves her garter belts
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

[img]http://prntscr.com/14pce3b[/img]

Well as you can see from the afterword, the author really likes her garterbelts.I don't really think that's suuch a bad thing though, not like the Alba uniforms are meant for practicality/for use in an actual battle.If the 86 wore these kind of uniforms, it would admittedly be distracting but thankfully that's not the case so I can give the author some leeway to indulge in something she likes that's not really affecting the story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
I can give the author some leeway to indulge in something she likes that's not really affecting the story.

But it does affect the story for me. Making Lena "sexy and cute" isn't what her character is about, and is a distraction (for both those who like it and those who don't), as well as being incongruent with the tone of the whole story.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:
I can give the author some leeway to indulge in something she likes that's not really affecting the story.

But it does affect the story for me. Making Lena "sexy and cute" isn't what her character is about, and is a distraction (for both those who like it and those who don't), as well as being incongruent with the tone of the whole story.

But...you can have a character be "sexy and cute" with that just being an aspect of the character and not overshadow her other qualities.It's not like it ever really focuses on that particular aspect of her(promotional material excluded at least)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
It's not like it ever really focuses on that particular aspect of her

No, of course they would never sabotage an emotional scene by focusing on that.

pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:

Oops,you're right.I didn't notice that Lena's thighs were in 1 frame of the scene,now the whole scene is ruined and I can't look at it the same way again.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:

No offense, but you seem to be taking this WAY too out of proportion. If something this trivial ruins entire scenes for you, then I dont know what to tell you. You are reacting like the show had random ass and panty shots. News flash, well written female characters are allowed to be sexy too.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:

Well as you can see from the afterword, the author really likes her garterbelts.I don't really think that's suuch a bad thing though, not like the Alba uniforms are meant for practicality/for use in an actual battle.If the 86 wore these kind of uniforms, it would admittedly be distracting but thankfully that's not the case so I can give the author some leeway to indulge in something she likes that's not really affecting the story.

Agreed - if the 86 got prominent garterbelts, it would feel disrespectful to me and I would hate that, but somehow I just don't mind that much the "Alba princess" fanservice - or is it authorservice in this case? I get it can be distracting sometimes, but I just treat it as "Shin would love to see that for sure" moment.
Speaking of 86 and respectfulness/fanservice, that reminds me of the "beach" moment when all the girls were not only sensibly dressed for soldiers on downtime, but also one second away from turning the voyeurs into Swiss cheese leaking ketchup, that was awesome.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Lena's uniform. Is it visually appealing in an impractical way? Yeah, kinda, but I don't think it's ever detracted from any of the serious, emotional, moments or made Lena's character seem lesser.

I'd more readily complain about the show cutting out the one bit of male fanservice in the whole volume they're adapting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13