• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wonder Egg Priority

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
So if Momoe is supposed to be trans, why would they include a scene where you get a close up of her neck while Neiru literally says "no adam's apple."? Is the "symbolism" here that Neiru was blind all along and she doesn't realize that Momoe is in fact trans?

Also if we consider Momoe trans, this means that she is someone who looks physically male, who often wear male cloths and uses male pronoun, but gets mad at people when they treat her as male... She might be female, but she's an asshole.

Also her school and parent accepted her trans status (letting her wear girl uniform at school) but her friend she's trying to rescue did not, making her the villain in this. Adult/school administartion = good, fellow friend = bad isn't very in line with the rest of the show.

Then we also have to account for Acca bro considering Kaoru a girl, denying her her preferred gender and going by biological sex. But actually considering trans Momoe as a girl ignoring her biological sex.

But hey she's wearing a bra (something she doesn't need underneath male cloths) that's coloured teal, clearly she's trans.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So if Momoe is supposed to be trans, why would they include a scene where you get a close up of her neck while Neiru literally says "no adam's apple."? Is the "symbolism" here that Neiru was blind all along and she doesn't realize that Momoe is in fact trans?
Also her school and parent accepted her trans status (letting her wear girl uniform at school) but her friend she's trying to rescue did not, making her the villain in this. Adult/school administartion = good, fellow friend = bad isn't very in line with the rest of the show.

Then we also have to account for Acca bro considering Kaoru a girl, denying her her preferred gender and going by biological sex. But actually considering trans Momoe as a girl ignoring her biological sex.

The show is clearly dipping into a trans narrative. Whether or not the character is, they’ve made a conscious decision to do so. It’s totally fair to discuss what it means to do so, and whether that does more harm or good in the end. What’s not helpful to discussion or criticism is to treat Momoe’s gender as a refutation of the experiences of transgender individuals, which is what you really seem intent on doing. Because stuff like this:

Quote:

Also if we consider Momoe trans, this means that she is someone who looks physically male, who often wear male cloths and uses male pronoun, but gets mad at people when they treat her as male... She might be female, but she's an asshole.

But hey she's wearing a bra (something she doesn't need underneath male cloths) that's coloured teal, clearly she's trans.

Is what really makes someone an asshole.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
But hey she's wearing a bra (something she doesn't need underneath male cloths) [...].

I'm sorry, what? In what way does wearing masculine clothing obviate the function of a bra?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Didn't read the last pages because these discussions makes me very tired.
This is one thing that I dislike about these discussions about gay representation. Everyone and everything MUST to be gay to some degree, no matter what the characters themselves believes, feels, says. Sometimes the answer is simple but some people always try to find some twist of words to justify denying the characters with their headcanon.

For me Momoe is cis.
She dressing "as a boy" is something that makes me dislike her because I remember she talking about this and I believe she said she was doing that for the attention. Because she wasn't receiving the attention she wished from the boys that refuses to give to her because of their preconceptions and prejudices about her "lack of traditional femininity" she decided doubled down. Not only for the attention but also, I suspect, as some sick joke to attack the girls that makes advances on her.

Anyway, talking about disrespect, what about the very thorny detail that between the rules the story established at the beginning was that the Egg World can only be accessed by women? Don't this betray Kaoru?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Didn't read the last pages because these discussions makes me very tired.
This is one thing that I dislike about these discussions about gay representation. Everyone and everything MUST to be gay to some degree, no matter what the characters themselves believes, feels, says. Sometimes the answer is simple but some people always try to find some twist of words to justify denying the characters with their headcanon.

For me Momoe is cis.
She dressing "as a boy" is something that makes me dislike her because I remember she talking about this and I believe she said she was doing that for the attention. Because she wasn't receiving the attention she wished from the boys that refuses to give to her because of their preconceptions and prejudices about her "lack of traditional femininity" she decided doubled down. Not only for the attention but also, I suspect, as some sick joke to attack the girls that makes advances on her.

Anyway, talking about disrespect, what about the very thorny detail that between the rules the story established at the beginning was that the Egg World can only be accessed by women? Don't this betray Kaoru?

It would probably help if you read the review and comments before posting. As is you’re clearly responding to a straw man that you’ve built up in your head, which makes your post more of an “old man yells at cloud” than a response to any criticism, especially when accusing them of twisting words that you didn’t even bother to read.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
meiam wrote:
But hey she's wearing a bra (something she doesn't need underneath male cloths) [...].

I'm sorry, what? In what way does wearing masculine clothing obviate the function of a bra?

If she's trans then she has no breast, making bra pointless.

Hey, this is a pretty ignorant comment. I'm going to chalk it up to just not knowing much about the topic, so hopefully this explanation is useful.

Bras have more uses than functionality and their usage isn't an indicator of gender or biological sex. Things bras can be used for:

-breast support (the most obvious one and likely what you were thinking of)
-preventing chaffing. Regardless of gender or breast size, nipples rubbing on the inside of fabric can be uncomfortable!
-smoothing out the silhouette; a lot of fabric is thin and for modesty reasons a person may not want their nipples to be visible through their shirt, regardless of chest size
-personal aesthetic: lingerie, especially the kind designed for women, is often marketed as a self-esteem booster. Regardless of someone's gender, wearing underwear that makes them feel good can improve confidence.
-extra pockets

Equating chest size to femininity is a bad idea for cis and transwomen alike. It's a body area that many people develop complexes about whether their breasts are big or small.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
meiam wrote:

I mean, someone without much breasts to speak of could wear a bra because it makes them feel feminine, tackle their dysphoria. Similarly someone with breasts could wear something similar for the opposite purpose as a binder.

I think that it is fair to say that Momoe's body is fairly androgynous, but matters less what her body might look like but what meanings she might put onto her clothes might mean more, which I would think is relatable to trans people. Even though I don't personally see her as literal trans girl, I don't think it is entirely helpful to try and disprove things.

Momoe and her story is still very queer coded, even if she might in a literal sense be a cis het girl.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
meiam wrote:

That is 100% not what you wrote in the sentence I quoted. It's also just as wrong, as octopodpie explained better than I could.
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Momoe has hurt other people, but maybe she did it out of confusion, not because she's an asshole. Also, her friend could be a lesbian, as Kaoru helpfully points out.

meiam wrote:

Other people have covered the reasons that she might wear a bra, so I'll skip that. Yes the color has meaning, especially when the meaning exists outside the fiction. The show uses that symbolism earlier with Kaoru as well, so it's established to have meaning in the fictional world too. This isn't even a live action show where maybe the wardrobe department just happened to have that bra laying around. It's animation, so the bra could have looked like anything. Symbolism and subtext have importance, sometimes just as much as the text.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote
I don't know what Momoe's deal is, but it's clear she ties up confusions about gender and presentation into a nice package complete with pink and teal bow. Show, don't tell, and all that. Ambiguity and confusion are the name of the game with her.

(On a different, but related, topic: Sometime soon well learn that she has one dress in her closet because her uncle gave it to her.)
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
I had doubts whether or not Momoe was trans before,but if anything, this episode solidified for me that she is a cis straight girl,I would see it way too contradictory for this not to be the case afterwards.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
With EP 10 in the can, we are now at the end, with 2 EPs to go. Can they do it? Long time ago in watching "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" at the end of EP 11, I was like, "There is no way in Hell, that these guys can end this in 24 minutes. This thing is a failure and a waste of time!" At the end of EP12, "Masterpiece! Masterpiece!" So tripping lightly over my own ignorance, Once burned, twice shy as they say, I am willing to believe that something that is or has been very good in 10 will finish in 2 resolving all plot points. After all, Wonder Egg Priority has been dealing in some very serious issues, like Hikikomori , Genetic Engineering, Depression, Guilt, Gender, Child Abuse and Shoujo-ai all taken together seem much too heavy for the Trauma Truck. But I'm just baka so there you have it, make me a believer in 2.
For those who have come this far (EP10), I will lay out some plot points which I would like to see resolved, and for those who are not up to date then spoiler alert,

Headings:
MC
Issue
Animal
Real Girl loves MC
Egg Girl may love MC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

spoiler[
Ai
Hikkomori
Chameleon
Koito
Kurumi
]

spoiler[
Neiru
Super IQ, Genetic Engineering
Snake
Kotobuki
Kotobuki
]

spoiler[
NOTE: Neiru and Kotobuki are the product of genetic engineering by Japan Plati
founded by Acca and Ura-Acca who later uploaded themselves to the Egg World.
Although both are only 14, Neiru is Director of BlueCorp, and Kotobuki is an MD
working for Japan Plati.
]

spoiler[
Rika
Depression, Guilt
Tortoise
Chiemi
Cult Girl Shino
]

spoiler[
Momoe
Gender, Abuse
Crocodile
Haruka
Kaoru

]

These seem to be some of the major plot points which I hope get resolved.
After wading through buckets of blood and gore that would embarrass High-Rise Invasion, one can only hope. During this trip, I could not help but think that WEP was like a milk that "would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra violence."
-Alex DeLarge
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I never thought Momoe was trans because we saw her wearing her female school uniform back when Haruka was still alive and I assumed she started presenting like a boy as a weird reaction to her lesbian friend killing herself after Momoe rejects her advances. It would make more sense if she was trans and felt that Haruka's suicide thus was her fault for not being a cis boy who Haruka wouldn't fall in love with/fell in straight love with.

Aside from that, Ai's hair style when she goes to the gallery is pretty much identical to her moms. That probably means something.
motormind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
So the girls learn that those two creepy dummy guys are actually spoiler[former employees at Neiru's company who got turned into brains in vats. On top of that, Momoe and Rika overhear them saying that are involved in the suicides of the girls in the dream world. ] You'd think that the girls would have a ton of questions and accusations, and not only to those two dirt bags, but also Neiru who has been keeping this information from them. Instead they go "Na, it's probably fine. Let's talk about Momoe's date instead!"

What??

Also, why the heck doesn't Momoe warn the rest that the promise of reviving those girls is a lie? All that happens after Momoe "clears the game" is that spoiler[ she gets threatened by a horribly-designed character who appears out of the blue, after which she gets put through some form of bizarre psychological torture]. You'd think this information is important enough to spread to the others, but no.

Look, I am all for withholding information from the viewer and characters to keep the story intriguing. I draw the line though at characters acting like complete morons for no good reason whatsoever. It's just lazy writing.

This a rather disappointing state of affairs, but I can't say I am that surprised. In the end, this show turned out to be your typical combination of yuri-baiting and faux-psychological nonsense that has permeated the anime landscape for literally decades now.

Well, it has some pretty animation though. I'll grant them that.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
but also Neiru who has been keeping this information from them.

Has she? I assumed that Neiru only dug up that information after she heard from Momoe and Rika. Misaki even says in episode 9 that Neiru is "getting closer to the truth," implying that she doesn't know what's really going on at that point.

I also thought the butterfly head was a pretty neat design.

Definitely disappointing to see the show framing things in terms borrowed from Freud, though. A show that wants to deal with contemporary issues shouldn't be wallowing in science that outdated and debunked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19