• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Moriarty the Patriot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
All three have James as their middle names.

William James Moriarty
Albert James Moriarty
Louis James Moriarty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriarty_the_Patriot

There's an unsurprising spoiler in that article spoiler[both Holmes and Watson are listed].
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm finding the portrayal of class conflict in this story pretty ham-handed. Are we in for disgusting-nobleman-of-the-week? Will any stories raise doubts about the morality of the brothers' actions?
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm finding the portrayal of class conflict in this story pretty ham-handed. Are we in for disgusting-nobleman-of-the-week? Will any stories raise doubts about the morality of the brothers' actions?

The series is operating on a similar appeal to something like Hell Girl, if you've seen that series before. It's set around building up these unredeemably evil people, so that in the third act, we get to see them face a karmic end. In Hell Girl there was one arc where this set up does get questioned. This will likely also be the case in this show when Sherlock enters the picture.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is a contrivance or not, but it seems odd that the butler who was in charge of reminding the Vsiscount to take his medicine, as well as to keep his drinking in check, was simply not there during the tea party. It just seemed really odd that it would just be him and the three Moriartys alone in the conservatory, especially after a knife attack by the Gardiner's Wife.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
The series is operating on a similar appeal to something like Hell Girl, if you've seen that series before. It's set around building up these unredeemably evil people, so that in the third act, we get to see them face a karmic end. In Hell Girl there was one arc where this set up does get questioned. This will likely also be the case in this show when Sherlock enters the picture.

That's more or less where I assumed the series was going after the flashback. The first episode about bringing a nobleman who secretly preys children to justice was all well and good, but then we immediately get the backstory of William orchestrating the death of his adopted family sans the brother he recruited just so he can inherit their name which will aid him in his reshaping of the world in his ideals. Given it's a Jump series, Death Note seems like an obvious comparison, but it's standard God Complex storytelling. Many series have protagonists doing evil things in the name of a self-perceived "good" that generally ends with karma catching up to them, presumably when Sherlock Holmes pops up.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Another Anime exclusive episode this week like the first episode, I guess the writers of the anime adaptation wanted to setup the new location the Moriartys are going to be living in where Williams begins his job as a professor in Mathematics and where they plan most of their schemes.

Next episode however is going to be an adaptation of a chapter from the manga and features the debut of the manga's incarnation of Sebastian Moran who was part of Moriarty's organization and the main antagonist from Conan Doyle's "The Adventure of the Empty House", the first of 13 stories in the Return of Sherlock Holmes collection, which takes place after "The Final Problem" as well as Fred Porlock, a minor character in the Sherlock Holmes lore who was a petty criminal working for Moriarty and who Sherlock Holmes once likened to a remora, of no real significance himself, but dancing constant attendance on the great 'shark', James Moriarty..

El Hermano wrote:
aaa1e2r3 wrote:

That's more or less where I assumed the series was going after the flashback. The first episode about bringing a nobleman who secretly preys children to justice was all well and good, but then we immediately get the backstory of William orchestrating the death of his adopted family sans the brother he recruited just so he can inherit their name which will aid him in his reshaping of the world in his ideals. Given it's a Jump series, Death Note seems like an obvious comparison, but it's standard God Complex storytelling. Many series have protagonists doing evil things in the name of a self-perceived "good" that generally ends with karma catching up to them, presumably when Sherlock Holmes pops up.

Also, at least judging by what I'm reading in the manga so far, spoiler[Holmes and Watson are still heroic characters like in most incarnations, with Holmes seemingly having a more emotional and compassionate side to the plight of the innocent while later chapters seem to indicate that William's end goal is a lot more complex than just killing bad nobles and might not be as altruistic as it seems.]

Last edited by BBally on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
@BBally - I know you haven't posted at ANN much so you probably aren't aware that the rule of thumb around here is if you are discussing things you've learned from reading the original source (manga, for example) in an anime thread where those things have not shown up in the anime yet, please use spoiler tags. You don't even have to use your own judgment on what is a "spoiler" or not... simply use the tags for anything that has not been presented in the anime adaptation regardless of how trivial it may seem to you. Thanks!
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@BBally - I know you haven't posted at ANN much so you probably aren't aware that the rule of thumb around here is if you are discussing things you've learned from reading the original source (manga, for example) in an anime thread where those things have not shown up in the anime yet, please use spoiler tags. You don't even have to use your own judgment on what is a "spoiler" or not... simply use the tags for anything that has not been presented in the anime adaptation regardless of how trivial it may seem to you. Thanks!

Done, sorry about that.

Yuvelir wrote:
I've been wondering for a while - why are all three brothers called James Moriarty?
Even if they are all complicit in Moriarty's crimes, William and only him is very evidently the James Moriarty of Holmes' novels. At least for now, because I guess having three different James Moriarties woud be useful for running a crime syndicate.

That's kind of the fault of the Doyle stories, while Moriarty in the Holmes canon is referred to as Professor James Moriarty, spoiler[The Final Problem referenced he had a brother who works in the army called "Colonel James Moriarty", however in The Valley of Fear it is mentioned by Holmes of Professor Moriarty that, "His younger brother is a station master in the west of England."].

The agreed reason for this confusing plot hole is that Doyle basically created Moriarty as an excuse to kill of Sherlock Holmes and be rid of the character so he can move on to other projects he was more interested in like historical fiction and non-fiction books but due to the strong demand for the return of the master detective (plus he actual passion projects not being as profitable), he reluctantly brought the detective back to life and written stories that were both new adventures post Final Problem but also stories that takes place before The Final Problem, one of the latter being The Valley of Fear where he retcon the information about Moriarty's brother, making him a station master instead of an army colonel.

This confounded Sherlockian fans for years and led to two fan theories, one is that both characters were the same who was both a colonel and a station master or the two brothers theory.

Canadian born American writer, Vincent Starrett author of the highly regarded 1933 Sherlockian study The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, wrote that it is possible that Moriarty had one brother (who is a colonel and station master) or two brothers (one a colonel and the other a station master), though Starrett considered two more likely, and suggested that all three brothers were named James. Leslie S. Klinger, writer and a member of the Sherlock Holmes literary club called The Baker Street Irregulars writes that Ian McQueen proposed that Moriarty does not actually have any brothers, though Klinger himself suggests that Professor Moriarty has an older brother named Colonel James Moriarty in addition to an unnamed younger brother, and adds that John Bennett Shaw theorized that all three brothers were named James.

The premise that Professor James Moriarty has two brothers also named James has been used in adaptations and pastiches outside of Doyle's stories, such as the radio series The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by BBally on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know about that.
But regardless of there being one borther, two or none it's kind of strnage that he went for the same name as Professor Moriarty? Unless, of course, Professor Moriarty didn't have a given name at the time or it was used to set up a case or its clues and red herrings.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
BBally wrote:
Another Anime exclusive episode this week like the first episode

This week's story was in the manga - it was the first "adult Moriarty" story after the backstory. I remember because a good friend of mine who's a pharmacist was less than impressed with the grapefruit/quinine bit. Smile

Yuvelir, it's been my understanding that Doyle was so done with Holmes as a character that he didn't much care about Moriarty and his ever-changing number of similarly-named brothers. I favor the thought that this version is operating under the idea that "James" can be a surname as well as a given name, so it could almost be read as a hyphenated name (James-Moriarty). That's totally me making stuff up, though; nothing in the lore supports it.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
it's been my understanding that Doyle was so done with Holmes as a character that he didn't much care about Moriarty and his ever-changing number of similarly-named brothers.

Considering Doyle had trash thrown at him while he was walking in the streets following the first time he killed Holmes, that sounds about right.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Even if he hated the character he created, I still love him for bringing Sherlock Holmes to life.

Now if we can get Robert Downey Jr to reprise his role again, now that he is no longer doing Tony Stark.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
BBally wrote:
Another Anime exclusive episode this week like the first episode

This week's story was in the manga - it was the first "adult Moriarty" story after the backstory. I remember because a good friend of mine who's a pharmacist was less than impressed with the grapefruit/quinine bit. Smile

I read the manga online and the site I was reading it on seems to skip that chapter so I didn't know.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
This episode covered Chp 2, Vol 1 of the source manga.
However, quite a few plot points were simplified and changed for the episode.

For example,spoiler[ how the Moriartys champion social reform for the Durham workers. The locals also hate Brighton for being a snobbish landlord who treats them like slaves, but have no other alternative since he's the major employer around and they've no means to look elsewhere.
So the Moriartys offer them more generous rental rates and lower taxes to work on their estate. This pisses off Brighton, since he's losing his workers and could potentially go bankrupt. This leads to a dinner meet to discuss the employee theft (instead of conservatory teatime, which is an anime-original thing. The manga viscount didn't have a conservatory at all.) Burton and Melissa also come to the dinner as invited workers' representatives.

Brighton's classist mentality is more prominent in the manga. He sees the workers as filthy peasants, the Moriartys' as naive brats who don't understand noble supremacy, and them bringing Burton and Melissa inside his house as an attack on high society itself. In addition, he strongly believes the law will always favour him since he's highborn.

William reveals Melissa's identity to Brighton and tells him he's come to enact punishment. Events pretty much proceed according to the manga, except they also trick Brighton into thinking it's a copout and make him will his estate to the workers upon his death; which comes shortly after.

Burton and Melissa moving away is anime-original. In the manga, it's implied they still stay in Durham, and pledge their lives and loyalty to William. He responds by asking them to live on for each other, and to await the day he creates a utopian country free of social status, sadness and suffering.
]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I remember because a good friend of mine who's a pharmacist was less than impressed with the grapefruit/quinine bit. Smile

That's cheating. Razz Here I was going to praise you for wading through the overwhelming amount of nonsense online about making hydroxychloroquine from the "naturally occurring quinine" in grapefruit rinds (they don't contain quinine, and even if they did, you can't make HCQ from quinine at home) to find that information. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12