• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Pokemon Sword and Shield

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:
This has to be the weakest batch of initial Pokemon since… well, ever.

Gen 3 & 4 say hello.

Gen 4 was alright, I think, but the gen 3 starters were probably the main reason I stopped playing Pokemon as a kid. Torchic evolving into a feathery power ranger was a big disappointment. And that became the start of the now-overused fire+fighting starter concept...

My general issue with newer generations is that an ever-increasing percentage of the critters look less like fantasy creatures and more like cartoon characters. Giant heads, overly humanoid, etc. The new starters are a good example of this problem. (Though the best example is probably Gen 6's Chespin, the Animal Crossing reject.) And even though the rabbit is the worst in that regard (looks like a baby Bugs Bunny with a bandaid on its nose), that's probably still going to be my choice unless it has a Torchic-esque disaster of an evolution, because the grass one is ugly and the water one... I dunno what they were going for with that. Sad moe or something? (Fire is my default choice anyway, since my original starter was Cyndaquil. Which, until recently, I thought was spelled "Cydnaquil." )

Juno016 wrote:
I'm more worried about fire bunny being accused of plagiarism on that really convincing, popular fan-created fakemon not that long ago. The evidence is pretty striking, if you ask me:

Maybe. Most of the details are different, though--they're both fire rabbits doing the same type of pose, but the eyes, ear shapes and positions, feet, arm sizes, that fluffy black coat thing only the left one has, etc. don't match--so even if it was "inspired" by that I doubt it would qualify as plagiarism. I don't know where this fanart came from, so beyond that I can't really say.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I literally cracked up hearing the names of the new Pokemon games. I'm a huge Suikoden fan and there's already an old joke in the Suikoden fan comparing it to Pokemon (Suikoden. gotta recruit 'em all!), I'm even currently on a replay of the second Suikoden game (the one most loved by the fandom)... and what are the central runes from that game? the Bright Shield and the Black Sword runs (the two halves of the rune of Beginning). this is practically asking for more "suikomon" jokes.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I loved Treecko - at least in terms of concept and design - from Gen 3 and had no problem with gen 4, so this gen's starters are also the weakest for me.

At least so far. Last gen, I immediately wanted to pick Litten when the starters were first announced. It looked like it would be a dark/fire cat of both cute and destruction!

... but then the final evolutions were shown and I decided to go with Rowlet. I'm hoping that the opposite happens this gen and one of the last forms ends up being more appealing.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I see y'all speaking bad of gen 3 starters and I'm like full Guzma 'round here. Some folks just don't get it, eh?

Still, not gonna lie, I didn't buy into these new starters either. Gonna have to wait on them and see what comes. Still, the game does seem pretty but what I really want to see is whatever they're changing in the battle system. I'm hoping for a shaker as big as the spec/phys split. Anything less than that is just too little.

Oh, and UNIB in Evo? Man, that sure came from the left field. Kinda brings to mind back when Melty Blood got in. People went crazy over that. French Bread is a pretty good dev and I really love their fighters (I'm still holding out to the next Melty Blood, guys) so seeing them being recongnized among the big league sure feels nice. Glad they dropped Melee too.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
squirrelmecha-2.0 wrote:
Bet Pokemon Shield will have slaves in it

Pokemon are already slaves forced to fight for the amusement of mankind.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I don't recall Satoshi's Pikachu going around solving cases let alone talking in the original show Razz

My bad. I meant to say original game.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
[

It's kind of hard to accuse Nintendo and the Pokemon Company of engaging in plagiarism of something they own the rights to.

Not really? If you make fanart of something, the company doesn't own it. That was the thing with the whole Bowsette debacle.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

My general issue with newer generations is that an ever-increasing percentage of the critters look less like fantasy creatures and more like cartoon characters. Giant heads, overly humanoid, etc.

Gen 1 had the same thing though

Giant head? = Vortorb/Electrode Gastly
Cartoon like= Exeggcute, Exeggcutor, GengarTangela, Raticate, Porygon, Dragonite,Psyduck, Clefairy, Jynx (who also fits in humanoid)
Humanoid = Mr.Mime,Hypno, Kadabra/Alakazam Mewtwo

They're just doing what's already been done.

AksaraKishou wrote:

Not really? If you make fanart of something, the company doesn't own it. That was the thing with the whole Bowsette debacle.

Which was to bed when the Mario Odyssey art book revealed that Nintendo basically had their own version of Bowsette that was cut from the final game.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

AksaraKishou wrote:

Which was to bed when the Mario Odyssey art book revealed that Nintendo basically had their own version of Bowsette that was cut from the final game.

To be clear, I don't have the actual context, nor any proof for this, but thinking about it, it's always possible they took out their own Bowsette to avoid people claiming ownership over the idea after the fan Bowsette hit the internet like storm. Sure, they would likely win such a case, but it's questionable enough that I can see them removing it to avoid the controversy in the first place.

So why not change Hibunny into something else to avoid the same thing? Maybe oversight. Even if it's only a coincidence, it's kinda weird they wouldn't have noticed the fan creation, considering how widespread it got, hitting even Pokemon celebrities. I'll only be seriously concerned about this if the evolutions look similar to the fan artist's evolution concepts. He made those due to the initial popularity of his fake starters, so they didn't spread around as much, but they were still awesome.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gen 1 had the same thing though

I'm not a "genwunner"--like I said, my first starter was Cyndaquil, gen 2--so that's not the best line of argument to follow. That said, while gen 1 did have some wonky/uninspired designs, it really didn't have the same types of issues that came up later. (Also, if you're going to point out overly-humanoid ones, how could you forget the Machop line?)

Here's a list of the starters through the generations. I don't really have the art-theory knowledge to explain exactly what's happening, but it's pretty obvious that some gradual shift in style has been happening. As you go down the list, they get increasingly skinny, making the humanoid elements of their design stand out more, with the heads staying roughly the same size. That, I think, is what makes (some of) them appear more like characters from Dora the Explorer or something, rather than animals.

(Just to go down the list: Gen 3, Treecko has a hint of this. Gen 4 brings it into full force with Chimchar. Gen 5, nothing obvious, but they all feel a little "off." Gen 6, only animal-esque one is Fennekin, and it looks worse when it's not right next to Chespin... yikes. Gen 7 is actually one of the best, good variety and not too much cereal-mascot aesthetic. But then you get to Gen 8 and it's right back to Gen 6 territory. Actually, now that I look at it, the grass and water starters are remarkably similar between 6 and 8.)

And, obviously, Pokemon literally is a children's cartoon, among other things; but the unique style that made it popular seems to have diluted over time, becoming more generic. It's not a universal problem by any means; all the generations have good and bad designs. But this is the first time that all three of the starters didn't read as Pokemon to me, which is a little concerning. I'm still going to play it because I never bought a DS of any sort, so I kinda missed several generations, but I might end up doing a ditch-your-starter playthrough.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, Grookey is the first monkey Pokemon I actually like because it doesn't look like the typical monkey design. It's actually cute.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
Like the water and grass, so hard to choose. Will have to see later evolutions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
(Also, if you're going to point out overly-humanoid ones, how could you forget the Machop line?)

Probably because Machamp goes into weird territory with it's extra arms and unnecessary beak Razz. Honestly I don't how or why I skipped over the line.

Juno016 wrote:
To be clear, I don't have the actual context, nor any proof for this, but thinking about it, it's always possible they took out their own Bowsette to avoid people claiming ownership over the idea after the fan Bowsette hit the internet like storm.
Sure, they would likely win such a case, but it's questionable enough that I can see them removing it to avoid the controversy in the first place.

Problem with this theory is that Super Mario Odyssey (which had the original concept) was developed between 2013-2017. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe which featured Toadette (who was the inspiration for Bowsette) was developed around the same time as Odyssey. Why would Nintendo take out something in one of their game's to avoid stepping on the toes of a fan artist (and copy cats) regarding something they created and was created after what Nintendo made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2