• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Film Wins Oscar Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xe4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
But Spike Lee fully admitted he was only nominated because of the Oscar's push for more black directors and creators. If the people being nominated can admit it's all politics, fans should be able to as well. They're not trying to hide it or anything, they're pretty open about it. Like I said before, I don't think anyone truly was expecting Mirai to win, there's no benefit to it winning.

The Oscars have *always* been political. But just because politicking went on behind the scenes doesn't negate the validity of the win. And I'm not just talking about politics around race, but also the interrelationship between the different departments, and the absolutely massive lobbying campaigns that went on.

But even with all that Spider-verse didn't win because it starred an afro-latino teen. It won because it was a revolutionary leap forward for theatrical animation and it had a damn solid story to boot. It would've won whether it had a black, white, native American, or asian protagonist. I mean shoot, the entire point of the film was that anyone can be Spider-Man whether you're black or white or someone who lives in a black and white dimension. Or are a talking pig. Or an anime girl. Or whomever.

Last edited by Xe4 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
I am thrilled for the winners! Spider-Verse was innovative, fun, moving and overall brilliant, and Domee Shi finally proved to Pixar that women can direct!

But the Academy seems to go out of their way to show they don't truly appreciate animation as an art form. That "childish things" intro was downright insulting. Since when are celebrities quoting the Bible at award ceremonies, and why would they use that quote if they didn't want to imply that animation is somehow inherently childish? In a year with an art house Wes Anderson nominee which is *clearly* not marketed to young children? It was so out of place. (Also, weird how they had John Mulany introduce animated short and not animated feature when he actually voice acted in Spider-Man and probably would have done a better job of representing the category respectfully.)

Ugh, I really hope they get actual animators or voice actors to introduce the award next year.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I am thrilled for the winners! Spider-Verse was innovative, fun, moving and overall brilliant, and Domee Shi finally proved to Pixar that women can direct!

After the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, provided by Brenda Chapman on "Brave". Sad

Quote:
But the Academy seems to go out of their way to show they don't truly appreciate animation as an art form. That "childish things" intro was downright insulting.

A lot of irreparable damage was also done by Disney getting a big head over "Beauty & the Beast"'s Best Picture nomination in '92 (caused by a combination of lack of November nominees, and adults trying to use the NYFF to "validate" admitting in public that they liked a 90's Disney-Renaissance movie), causing NINE years of fan-nagging to get another one up there.
The Academy created the Best Animated category in the hopes of shutting them up, and hearing no more about it....Just in time for "Toy Story 2" and the big nine-year "Pixar for Best Picture!" push.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:14 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

After the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, provided by Brenda Chapman on "Brave". Sad

I don't know why this is even a thing. Women have been directing lots of things for awhile now. I don't at all believe there's any conspiracy to keep women from directing things. If anything it's just that a lot of men had a head start and a lot of senior people tend to get the job because directing comes with A LOT of responsibility. These aren't easy gigs, it's hard work and a tough job, and generally men tend to take on those challenges more often in tons of fields. And when you take the top jobs, you have to put up with all the hard stuff and take the fall for when things go south. And top jobs tend to be fewer than the remainder of tasks. You can have 100s of animators, staff and artists, but usually only 1 or 2 directors who naturally bring things together towards a single vision, so those spots don't open up as often as other technical things and positions, so change-over is slower. And naturally you'd want to give your multi-million dollar projects to people with experience. Anyone, men or women, in these positions have to deal with a lot of pressure.

So it's not really a thing against women. It's just a thing about people who've been in the business a long time that get these responsibilities over new young blood, it's older versus younger, particularly when women are making their way into the industry much later than most men.

All that needs to happen is to let the passage of time take its course and see where the chips fall naturally.
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
Well, this should please most of the people in the animation industry who go to and get information about the industry at this website (said website having a gripe with AMPAS for giving all of the Best Animated Feature awards to Disney and Pixar movies for the past decade and for not knowing anything about animation generally.)

[quote="jdnation"]
EricJ2 wrote:
I don't know why this is even a thing. Women have been directing lots of things for awhile now. I don't at all believe there's any conspiracy to keep women from directing things. If anything it's just that a lot of men had a head start and a lot of senior people tend to get the job because directing comes with A LOT of responsibility. These aren't easy gigs, it's hard work and a tough job, and generally men tend to take on those challenges more often in tons of fields. And when you take the top jobs, you have to put up with all the hard stuff and take the fall for when things go south. And top jobs tend to be fewer than the remainder of tasks. You can have 100s of animators, staff and artists, but usually only 1 or 2 directors who naturally bring things together towards a single vision, so those spots don't open up as often as other technical things and positions, so change-over is slower. And naturally you'd want to give your multi-million dollar projects to people with experience. Anyone, men or women, in these positions have to deal with a lot of pressure.

So it's not really a thing against women. It's just a thing about people who've been in the business a long time that get these responsibilities over new young blood, it's older versus younger, particularly when women are making their way into the industry much later than most men.

All that needs to happen is to let the passage of time take its course and see where the chips fall naturally.

My sentiments exactly.

Last edited by Sky Captain on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of evidence that John Lasseter created a hostile work environment for women at Pixar, to the point where female employees were told not to attend meetings with him because they would be "a distraction."

It's pretty hard to become a director when you can't attend meetings with your boss.

I suspect there will be more opportunities for women at Pixar now that he's gone.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Also, don’t delude yourselves here. No, spiderverse did not win due to its innovative animation techniques or bold storytelling. No, the academy doesn’t all of a sudden respect animation more. Very few of them once again saw the indie nominee. As much as spiderverse deserves to be celebrated for its accomplishments, the reasoning behind this win was ultimately still just “I saw this with my kids and they liked it, I liked it too, so I’ll go with that one.” Remember that Spider-Man is still very popular with children so yes, plenty of old hats saw the film solely because their youngins wanted to.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Btw, like they do every year now, the Academy interviewed the creator and producer of Mirai during Oscar Week before the Awards night.

https://youtu.be/hOKlWQsq_T0?t=52m

[/url]
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Spider-Man deserved to win. Mira I was great but it just fell short of best of the year. Also, Spider-Man made history because it represents the first Oscar awarded to a black director in the animation category. Why isn’t that mentioned in the article?

Because the color of the director bears no influence whatsoever on the quality of the film.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Romuska wrote:
Spider-Man deserved to win. Mira I was great but it just fell short of best of the year. Also, Spider-Man made history because it represents the first Oscar awarded to a black director in the animation category. Why isn’t that mentioned in the article?

Because the color of the director bears no influence whatsoever on the quality of the film.
That's true, but in the past the Academy hasn't always acted that way. The reason this is cause for celebration is because it represents a step towards making that ideal actually true.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Spider-Man released in Japan a week ago and people seem disappointed. Spider-Man movies have become less enjoyed in Japan over the time. People really liked the movies directed by Sam Raimi but all the newer ones haven't really been accepted as well by Japanese fans. The new one does not even star the real Spider-Man and fans felt even more disappointment.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Spider-Man released in Japan a week ago and people seem disappointed. Spider-Man movies have become less enjoyed in Japan over the time. People really liked the movies directed by Sam Raimi but all the newer ones haven't really been accepted as well by Japanese fans. The new one does not even star the real Spider-Man and fans felt even more disappointment.

That's because we read the print comics over here, which delve into the detailed alternate-versions that various Marvel writers came up in four or five different spinoff print-titles...In Japanese terms, that's rather like trying to keep track of ONE Tenchi timeline.
Apart from the visual style, that's why the more loyal comic-reading fans over here seem to be reacting to it so well.

Whereas countries that don't read the printed material have to get by on the movies.
So, if you were a foreign moviegoer and all you knew about Peter Parker came from the first Sam Raimi movie--and boy, do we not blame you for not liking the second, third, or those disastrous reboots--Miles Morales and a female Octavius would require a LITTLE bit of explanation, never mind Spider-Ham.
The whole movie exists because Sony needed a bit of property that Sam Raimi and now Marvel didn't own, and that covers a bit too wide ground for Japan or China to take in at one go and expect to do the exact same box office as in the US...Just sayin'. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
That's because we read the print comics over here, which delve into the detailed alternate-versions that various Marvel writers came up in four or five different spinoff print-titles...In Japanese terms, that's rather like trying to keep track of ONE Tenchi timeline.
Apart from the visual style, that's why the more loyal comic-reading fans over here seem to be reacting to it so well.

Whereas countries that don't read the printed material have to get by on the movies.
So, if you were a foreign moviegoer and all you knew about Peter Parker came from the first Sam Raimi movie--and boy, do we not blame you for not liking the second, third, or those disastrous reboots--Miles Morales and a female Octavius would require a LITTLE bit of explanation, never mind Spider-Ham.
The whole movie exists because Sony needed a bit of property that Sam Raimi and now Marvel didn't own, and that covers a bit too wide ground for Japan or China to take in at one go and expect to do the exact same box office as in the US...Just sayin'. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure most of Spider-Verse's audience have never read a comic in their life, let alone ones starring the non Peter Parker version of Spider-Man. We're talking about comic books that sell tens of thousands on average. Small market. Not many people knew who these characters were going into the theaters But Spider-Verse is just as unrecognizable from the source material it's based on just as any other Marvel movie is. So "comic-loyal" fans have no advantage going into these films, and most of them have griped over the years at the changes to film versions of these characters so I don't see that as a benefit at all.
It's clear Spider-Verse has a huge issue that makes it unappealing to certain foreign audiences, and it has nothing to do with unfamiliarity with the source material considering how well other superhero movies have done in those markets in the past. It did well in China, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5