• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this anime so far
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Everything about the aftermath was a cop-out---reattaching an arm is one thing, but perfectly, without any marks?

The memory erasure is not only a cop-out, it has ethical implications. Is it ok to erase an entire week of someone's memory without their knowledge or consent, good and bad memories alike? Even if only erasing bad memories, not everyone would want to have their negative experiences erased. And they're doing this partly because she'll be an easier mark to be kidnapped again (not that Kurumi knew that when she suggested the treatment, or Nozomi's dad realized that when he agreed to it).

In the end, they erased a whole week of someone's memories without their knowledge or consent to avoid long term trauma, which is ethically dubious all on its own.

Nordhmmer wrote:
@Rebecca Silverman

It's still lazy writing,but there is a time limit on Kurumi's PTSD "treatment"(erasing memories).She developed the treatment long after the war,so no quick fix for Asuka.
And the other school friend,Sayako,still suffers from her trauma,as Kurumi is really only motivated to "help" if Asuka is directly involved.

Kurumi didn't meet Sayako until after her trauma had "set" and was impossible to erase, and Asuka didn't know memory erasure was an option until this incident with Nozomi.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

The memory erasure is not only a cop-out, it has ethical implications. Is it ok to erase an entire week of someone's memory without their knowledge or consent, good and bad memories alike? Even if only erasing bad memories, not everyone would want to have their negative experiences erased. And they're doing this partly because she'll be an easier mark to be kidnapped again (not that Kurumi knew that when she suggested the treatment, or Nozomi's dad realized that when he agreed to it).

In the end, they erased a whole week of someone's memories without their knowledge or consent to avoid long term trauma, which is ethically dubious all on its own.

Yeah, this crossed my mind as well. I don't think they wanted to erase her memories without her consent, but she wasn't in a state of mind to give her opinion, and if they waited long enough for her to stabilize, it would permanently imprint, so the decision automatically went to her guardian. That's pretty standard for most health situations if an individual is incapacitated, but then it's not uncommon to have people arguing over what is the right thing to do even in less dubious situations. Asuka did almost offer a differing opinion at least, but I wish they'd explore that more since you could probably get a lot of material over exploring memory questions, but again... I doubt they will.

That reminds me of another question I had though-- wouldn't she question why the date jumped a week when she woke up?
Michformer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
As far as expressive countenances go, Nozomi’s upon contracting PTSD from her close brush with death is just heartbreaking.

It’s just so… raw and unbridled in its execution, if a bit overplayed. You can tell Nozomi’s torn asunder within.

A shame, then, that the Deus Ex Machina from the manga that is Kurumi’s mind wipe has been reused in the anime. Removes the potential for drama and character development in Nozomi’s part.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy the Russian duo were easily dispatched. It's what I wanted last week but I guess they needed to draw it out for suspense. And then we got a glimpse of the overwhelming power of the real enemy. Overall great episode and I'm happy no one got killed off.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind for Nozomi. Yay! It would have been sad to have all of Nozomi's energetic enthusiasm disappear. Now she can have it ground out her by a couple of decades of disappointments like the rest of us. Poor Gabriel gonna be hard to use her scissors now. I feel I overreacted to the torture scene. I just re-watched Accelerator rip the leg of one of Misaka's replicas and the clone training girls make the latest one clean up the room full sister of corpses from the previous murder session (This is Railgun, if you haven't seen it) So compared to other anime this one is kind of tame. Anyway I quite like this so far, the animation is a bit limited but not bad It will be interesting to see where the story goes. Maybe they'll end up pumping Asuka and the others full of anti-psychotics like real modern militaries do. to their burn-outs
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
I’ll admit, even though I’m enjoying this series quite a bit, it’s the hardest to watch for me out of all the shows I’m viewing this season. The gore has been more visceral than I expected it to be and I’m feeling really bad for Asuka for having to go through this experience. It looks like things will not slow down from here though, so while I would have appreciated a breather after the last two episodes, I’ll have to buckle in for what this show has in store next.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Everything about the aftermath was a cop-out---reattaching an arm is one thing, but perfectly, without any marks?

I brought up Sayako to point out though the writing is lazy,even a ex machina-such as this treatment is- has limits.One of which is Kurumi's character,what with her being a yuri-yandere trope.
---------------
This manga is not some indepth look into PTSD. It's girls with guns mixed with dark magical girls,and of course it panders to it's intended fanbase.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The memory erasure is not only a cop-out, it has ethical implications.

You know I somewhat disagree with this. The memory erasure is not necessarily a cop out, precisely BECAUSE it has ethical implications. If it does just turn out to be a perfect reset of the status quo with no longer term impact on Nozomi or any of the other characters, then yeah it's a cop out, but if the show actually addresses aspects of this including the disturbing ethical implications of everything in the future so that Nozomi's experience does have meaning, then it might not be a cop out.

We'll see I guess.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
Well, without it we wouldn't see so much of how terrible the adults are and what new plans they have.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting insights by the reviewer this week, as well. It does kinda feel like that's where the series is leading; magical girls trying to get free.

As for Nozomi's memory erasure, i didn't have a problem with it, mostly because it felt like something that would be brought up again later. Also, it wasn't done on a whim or anything; we can absolutely understand why all the characters would wish to somehow "undo" Nozomi's trauma, and Asuka especially wanted it as a kind of surrogate to erase her own experiences. Like a lot of the more mature content of this story, it didn't feel to me that this element was being treated lightly.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Columbian front,”

Shouldn't all of these be "Colombian?" The CR subtitles did get it correct.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
“Columbian front,”

Shouldn't all of these be "Colombian?" The CR subtitles did get it correct.

Fix'd.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
This is a nice review with some good insights.

... but there's something, clearly important to the plot, that stood out to me:

What was Mia eating at the beginning? My initial thought when I saw it was "wow, these special Starbucks holiday fraps have really gotten out of hand" until it zoomed out and seemed to be some kind of... ice cream?
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Russian mafioso who left his magical girl partner for dead on the battlefield.

Quote:
so-called illegal magical girls. The Russian mafia doesn't appear to value theirs, who is clearly much younger than the other magical girls we've seen

Uhh, that girl wasn't a magical girl. Just a normal magic-using mercenary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10