• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Restarts Metroid Prime 4 Switch Game Development at Retro Studios

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
It is a shame that they have to start over it must have been really bad if they are throwing away all that development, I am glad that it is at Retro, even if the original creators left the studio. I'm sure there must still be people there who worked on the first 3.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
It's hard to be too broken up about this; literally all we knew about the game was that it existed and wasn't being handled by Retro. A bigger question on my mind is whether or not whatever Retro was working on before (be it the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix or something else) is cancelled so they can focus on Prime 4.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
A bigger question on my mind is whether or not whatever Retro was working on before (be it the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix or something else) is cancelled so they can focus on Prime 4.

That's what I've been wondering myself. They've been working on that for years and made quite the big deal of it in some kind of interview or statement so I hope we will at least get some info if it does happen to have been cancelled. Just for closure.

It doesn't necessarily have to have been cancelled though. If this decision is recent and development on MP4 has really just now been rebooted, they're probably still in the planning and/or prototyping phase while their previous project might be in the finishing stages. So even if Retro isn't particularly good at splitting up their resources to work on multiple projects at once, there'd still be plenty of ways to have these two projects overlap without them having to split much of their workload.

The fact that we haven't heard even so much as a peep of what that previous project might have been, let alone seeing any footage, does make me think that it was a troubled project for a while, though. I think it's probably been canned for a while now. And perhaps they've been doing some unsuccessful experiments and pitches and that caused Nintendo to put two and two together and give 'em Metroid again instead.
I just hope the devs aren't too sick of having to work on that same franchise AGAIN, though.

Now with this probably taking another 2-4 years to get finished, I wouldn't mind them bridging the gap with a nice new 2D installment (preferably sprite-based) made either in-house at Nintendo or by some kind of third party (or even somewhat indie) studio that really knows what they're doing.
Like... WayForward? Yacht Club? Heck, even Capcom since they've gotten pretty good at making games again.
That'd be cool.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo likely hadn't done much at all when MP4 was announced with a logo. They obviously did this to prevent backlash over the fact that they were announcing another MP for 3DS at the time and to reassure fans that a proper game was coming.

Retro is likely still allowed to finish whatever it is they're currently working on, and once that's done, move to full production on MP4. It's very likely they'll re-purpose and reuse whatever Nintendo had cooking.

But as they said, this isn't coming to come out for a long time.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Shame about that they have to done over it again. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Nintendo likely hadn't done much at all when MP4 was announced with a logo. They obviously did this to prevent backlash over the fact that they were announcing another MP for 3DS at the time and to reassure fans that a proper game was coming.

You're basing this theory off of what exactly?

Also provided that the next 3DS game (if it exists) is like the remake of 2 why would fans get upset at such a game being announced in lieu of MP4 being redone and not coming out for another 2 to 4 years?

Especially when the Prime games aren't considered traditional games by the fanbase (in spite of their success).

jdnation wrote:

Retro is likely still allowed to finish whatever it is they're currently working on, and once that's done, move to full production on MP4. It's very likely they'll re-purpose and reuse whatever Nintendo had cooking.

It that was the case this announcement wouldn't have happened it also would contradict your previous theory.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Uh, that's jumping to some SERIOUS conclusions. It wasn't to prevent backlash, MP4 was announced at the same time as Samus Returns, the 3DS remake of Metroid II. Federation Force had been out for awhile by then. It's more like they were saying "Yeah, we got new Metroid games coming. What, do you think we're IDIOTS? Good god."

Plus this is nothing new to Metroid, especially the Prime series. The initial builds of Metroid Prime 1 were AWFUL. As in utterly unplayable they were so bad. Nintendo basically had to step in and guide Retro into doing Prime to make sure it was up to their standards.

And that's ultimately what this is about. The original build wasn't working so they decided "Screw it, we're scrapping it and starting from scratch." Sometimes that's just necessary, it's what Nintendo does. If something isn't working, they start over because better to start over than release a bad game
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I wasn't expecting this. This is actually sort of a big deal when it comes to keeping the Switch's momentum with core gamers. I always thought 2020 was the earliest we'd see it anyway, but now we're looking at 2021 at the earliest, I believe. Worse case, it launches near some potential successor to the Switch, like what happened with Breath of the Wild and the Wii U.

A shame. I was looking forward to seeing another studio handle development and maybe push the series forward a little in 3D. That was probably wishful thinking, as it's called "Prime." Outside of the HD treatment, though, I'm kind of expecting a pretty by-the-books follow-up at this point with Retro back, with a too-familiar-for-its-own-good aesthetic. Don't get me wrong, Metroid Prime 1 rivals Super Metroid, and I enjoyed all of the other Samus-starring Prime games (including Hunters) to one extent or another, but after four games of that type, there's not a lot of room to grow gameplay-wise in 1st person 3D compared to, say, 3rd-person 3D. I mean, if Link was only seen in 3rd person when he rides a horse, would something like Breath of the Wild have been maximizing its potential? I think Samus has been limited in her evolution in 1st person (in the long run, that is). The mixed bag of things like Metroid: Other M and Metroid Blast (Nintendo Land) is no reason to stop trying to push the series forward. It only takes one breakthrough to exponentialize sales. I think that Breath of the Wild took things way too far, taking out useful game-design structures with hindering ones, but it was enough of a jolt to give the Zelda series a lot of new potential going forward and make it much more financially viable than simply doing an HD reimagining of Ocarina of Time. Plus, if someone's new to Metroid, like they were new to Zelda with BotW or new to Mario with Odyssey, a 3rd person 3D experience is going to be much more familiar and welcoming to them on the whole at this point.

Then again, this is a different Retro Studios than the past. It's possible this could be rebooted into a revolutionary 3D Metroid entry rather than a safe one. We'll have to wait and see. But Metroid needs it's ah-ha moment, where it breaks free in 3D.

Now Switch needs something to fill in... Maybe Pikmin 4 will build up speed and pick up the slack a little?
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I want a traditional Metroid game, not a FPS.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
jdnation wrote:

Uh, that's jumping to some SERIOUS conclusions. It wasn't to prevent backlash, MP4 was announced at the same time as Samus Returns, the 3DS remake of Metroid II. Federation Force had been out for awhile by then. It's more like they were saying "Yeah, we got new Metroid games coming. What, do you think we're IDIOTS? Good god."

Plus this is nothing new to Metroid, especially the Prime series. The initial builds of Metroid Prime 1 were AWFUL. As in utterly unplayable they were so bad. Nintendo basically had to step in and guide Retro into doing Prime to make sure it was up to their standards.

And that's ultimately what this is about. The original build wasn't working so they decided "Screw it, we're scrapping it and starting from scratch." Sometimes that's just necessary, it's what Nintendo does. If something isn't working, they start over because better to start over than release a bad game

Are you kidding me? Nintendo didn't give a F about metroid at the time. Thats why they gave it to Retro studios "who was doing terribly in everything they've made at the time" so why would they care if it was the most unplayable junk ever?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

Are you kidding me? Nintendo didn't give a F about metroid at the time. Thats why they gave it to Retro studios "who was doing terribly in everything they've made at the time" so why would they care if it was the most unplayable junk ever?

It was more complicated than that. Firstly, the reason Nintendo didn't make a Metroid game for the N64 was because Nintendo had trouble figuring out how to do a Metroid game in 3D for the system. Even Sakamoto, one of Metroid's co-creators who directed Super Metroid, couldn't think of how to control Samus with the N64 control scheme.

Secondly, with Retro things were REALLY messy. The studio was founded in 1998 and began development on four different titles. However, the studio was not working well by 2000 and Miyamoto himself visited their offices. He...was very concerned. Basically all their projects at the time were complete junk. However, he saw potential in one of the engines they were developing (used for an unnamed titles simply called "Action-Adventure) and thought it could be used as the basis for a 3D Metroid game. Initially the first few builds were trash, but after they worked it out things finally fell into place. Prime's development was essentially a trial by fire for Retro and Nintendo put them through the ringer.

The rest is history. Trust me when at the end of the day all that matters is what turns up on screen, not what happened during development.
animelover_j

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
Good! I don't want a crappy game. Please take the time to make it right.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
#892037 wrote:
I want a traditional Metroid game, not a FPS.
What exactly is a traditional Metroid game?
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope that it actually gets released and they don't pull what Capcom did with Mega Man Legends 3. O_o
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
Let's just hope that it actually gets released and they don't pull what Capcom did with Mega Man Legends 3. O_o

I have a feeling that's gonna happen. If it does, I won't be surprised. As a Nintendo property, Metroid doesn't really have the same amount of mainstream appeal as Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda do. And I say this as someone who played the first two Metroid Prime games on the GameCube.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2