• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
1. If you've been banned, please read this. Don't create aliases or get your mates to cry foul in this thread.

2. This thread is not an opportunity for people to hang shit on ANN staff. If you do, expect your posts to be moderated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
It's clear that you have no idea what Count Dankula is all about (the guy is a former communist for crying out loud)
You're trying to argue a very specific example of how things can go wrong in some examples. In criminal law, which is forced on all residents of society, it is very important that the individual are protected, and that semantics and technicalities matter. Where an unfair judgement ruins a person's life.

That's not ANN. You're here by choice. You can leave. If our moderators are overzealous and ban someone who perhaps wasn't saying exactly what the moderators interpreted, then that person's life isn't ruined. They simply lose the right to post on an anime forum. No big deal.

Our goal, and responsibility is for the betterment of the community, not the rights of the individual. (If a government body were to say this, I'd be among the first to protest)

At the same time, past behaviour doesn't matter much in law. Being a good person for 45 years won't get you out of a criminal conviction for hate speech. Here at ANN that isn't the case. As I said earlier, we'll judge people based on their history here. A single accidental outburst will get a reprimand (and a history of constantly testing the limits of the rules will get a ban). You don't get banned at ANN on technicalities, and you don't get out of a ban on technicalities.

Ergo, the semantics technicalities of cases that took place in the legal justice system are completely and utterly irrelevant to this forum.

Speaking of Dankula, he's now a member of a populist, white nationalist political party known for fascist leanings, racist rhetoric and xenophobia. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tempest on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
I just want to add that I have friends and acquaintances who are from countries where these discussions and movements for the rights of certain marginalized groups are far less mainstream. They make innocent mistakes and have misunderstandings, sure, but don't spout the kind of hate speech that people seem to be suggesting would be "inevitable" for people from those countries. To do that you have to actually be hateful, not just not understand the "right" way to talk about these issues in a particular culture. And historically, I've seen this forum handle this pretty well around sensitive issues (a good recent example is an exchange between Mad_Scientist and another user who spoke English as a second language in the Golden Kamuy review thread, re: how to discuss trans identities).

That said, people definitely exaggerate how true this is for other countries, particularly Japan. I just finished reading The Bride Was a Boy, a manga that is a personal memoir about a trans woman, and based on her "explanatory notes" it sounds like the Japanese trans and broader LGBT communities have a lot of the same discussions and controversies that those communities have in the United States.

Anyway, long story short, I think the point is that it's easy to tell the difference between someone who honestly doesn't understand how to talk about something in a particular language or context, and makes innocent misunderstandings, vs. someone who holds actual hateful beliefs toward a marginalized group and is using "cultural differences" as a smokescreen. I'm not too worried that the forums are going to suddenly get so draconian that they get that wrong. I'd be kind of curious for people bringing up this supposed issue to give any examples where they thought that happened or would be likely to happen under the new rules, rather than just talking about vague hypotheticals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
As I expected, this thread became a minefield after a bit.

I still maintain my own ideas about this whole thing. Personally speaking, I'm not sure if it'll encourage discussion from me, because the risk of getting banned because I may not "get" certain topics due to very different viewpoints is very high.

I saw a brief mention of the Devilman thread earlier. I wanted to post a civil rebuttal of that review (mostly for the anachronism - the other meaning of the word), but unfortunately I didn't want to risk it, due to a brief mention of personal experience that would have been a catalyst for a flame (I assume that happened?) even if it shouldn't be.

Same for other "controversial" topic like the Omega Labyrinth Z ban or whatever happens in the future.

I won't risk expressing any viewpoint on any matter that may be "sensible" (or other non-sensitive topics like the absence of a voice against DRM in streaming services...but I digress). Civil or not, "wrong" or "right" doesn't matter.

I still think putting "ethical" concepts in rules will be a problem in the future, due to the constant changing landscape of "ethics". As far as I'm concerned, it's not putting it into the rules that helps (or not) to resolve the issues - and I have my fair share of moderating experience from other forums.
With all that said, this is a private entity and absolutely has any right to do as it pleases, so any comments regarding the "unfairness" of the rules are rather absurd.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
After reading all 16 pages, I understand ANN's reasoning to revise the rules and I agree. Forums that end up with hate-filled posts only discourages and alienates. And you are a business and have to do what you have to do. However:

Quote:
Towards these ends, we do not allow hateful speech that denigrates an individual, or group of individuals based on their identity. This includes, but is not limited to, any speech that suggests that any person or group is in any way inferior due to their age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability. We also consider hate speech to include any suggestion the rights of an individual should be limited due to the above mentioned identifiers or that their personhood is in some way unethical.

Would it be possible to add political affiliation to this list? Because everyone should be welcome here regardless of political affiliation, as long as, of course, you meet the rules of respect for another individiual. For instance, in this very thread, on Page 6 I saw this:

Quote:
A good change. I can already see the predictable conservative whining that not being allowed to engage in casual bigotry is an intolerable burden upon them, ignoring completely the burden being subjected to said bigotry inflicts upon others. Ignore these people.

While I am not a Republican nor a Conservative or "Alt-Right", I find this type of talk unwelcoming on this forum. Because not all Republicans or Conservatives are White Supremacists nor Nazi's, and same with the left being labeled Communists and Hippies, yet people throw around names to belittle and demean. This sort of hateful talk should not be welcome, because this is a world-wide forum and ALL should be welcome, regardless of who you are or whom you are associated with. As you all indicated on previous pages, the key word is "Respect".

But I can understand the need to go after the real Nazi's and White Supremacists. Though personally, I think people are trolls acting as these people just to light fires. But I really don't want a "Trump Hat incident" here either, where a moderator sees a Trump Hat in someones Twitter or Facebook link and bans them just for that. While we all have our opinions, there needs to be reasonable ground not to judge someone unless that individual's own actions requires moderation.

That or you can have it say "Leave Politics at Home!" that would be good too! Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Would it be possible to add political affiliation to this list? Because everyone should be welcome here regardless of political affiliation, as long as, of course, you meet the rules of respect for another individiual.

That or you can have it say "Leave Politics at Home!" that would be good too! Razz

We would like people to leave their politics at home. Maybe we should add that to the rules.

I want to be tolerant of political solutions affiliations except affiliations that have hate as a core part of their philosophy. Extreme example, of someone to say they were a member of the Nazi party, that alone would be reason for a ban.
Garforian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
1. If you've been banned, please read this. Don't create aliases or get your mates to cry foul in this thread.

2. This thread is not an opportunity for people to hang shit on ANN staff. If you do, expect your posts to be moderated.

For the record - i haven't been banned or warned. I made fair points according to your own rules. I am not "mates" with anyone who regularly comments on this site, to imply that anyone who disagrees with you is an alliance suggests paranoia on your part.

My posts were quietly deleted with no comment or acknowledgement.

Ironically my first comment that was deleted was in full acknowledgement of this space not being a public forum but the domain of ANN staff and owners, i was however censored anyway.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

We would like people to leave their politics at home. Maybe we should add that to the rules.

My only problem with that is that one's political views are an intrinsic part of how one reads the world, much like religious, or cultural views. They influence every idea we form. I don't see how it's possible to discuss media with political topics (like Kino's Journey, or the Roses of Versailles or My lesbian experience with loneliness or -very obviously in recent events- Franxx) without acknowledging that we interpret these things through the lens of believes we already hold. It's not an accessory one can just not carry.

I don't think I was ever outright talking about my political views here before, but I'm sure they shine through when I voice my opinions, whether that was the intent or not.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

Garforian wrote:

For the record - i haven't been banned or warned. I made fair points according to your own rules.
Errinundra wasn't referring to you.
Garforian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Given the rest of my post i can't accept that as an appropriate response.

Why were my comments deleted without notice?
As CEO how do you justify ignoring your users concerns about new rules within the forum thread for discussing the same?

And since you are directly responding to me:

The topic of hate speech has come up in this thread, including specific terms deemed unsuitable for use here, do you intend to publish a list of banned terms?
How do you plan on dealing with the ongoing issue of ambiguous words that change in meaning (for example the term "eurocentric" might be construed as being a barely masked term for "white" by certain groups, ethnic/urban/thug being used as similar dogwhistle for PoC)?

Frankly I won't waste my or your time by restating my initial comment. I will however state that i am concerned by your site's lack of transparency on this issue, moreso now than i was before your moderators chose to unilaterally ignore and delete my comments from the public record.
In more stark terms: when confronted with concerns about the misuse of these new rules, your staff could not endure the first forum thread concerning them before abusing them outright.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Garforian wrote:

She was referring to someone who was banned.
Quote:

Why were my comments deleted without notice?
I don't know. All the moderators. I deal with policy, but avoid getting involved in individual cases. Only the moderator who took that action can answer your question and they may not be online right now.

Quote:

As CEO how do you justify ignoring your users concerns about new rules within the forum thread for discussing the same?
the moderators and I have replied to many concerns. If we missed some, we'll get to them. But of people ask questions that have already been answered, we'll address other original questions/concerns first.

Quote:

The topic of hate speech has come up in this thread, including specific terms deemed unsuitable for use here, do you intend to publish a list of banned terms?
Not at this time. We may choose to create a list on the near future, but if we do so, it would not be a case of "Any word not on this list is ok."

Quote:

How do you plan on dealing with the ongoing issue of ambiguous words that change in meaning (for example the term "eurocentric" might be construed as being a barely masked term for "white" by certain groups, ethnic/urban/thug being used as similar dogwhistle for PoC)?
B y examining the context on which they are used and the posting history of the individual who used them.

Quote:
Frankly I won't waste my or your time by restating my initial comment. I will however state that i am concerned by your site's lack of transparency on this issue, moreso now than i was before your moderators chose to unilaterally ignore and delete my comments from the public record.
In more stark terms: when confronted with concerns about the misuse of these new rules, your staff could not endure the first forum thread concerning them before abusing them outright.
your concern is noted.
AbsolutelyNotDmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Garforian wrote:
Tempest wrote:

It's actually a coincidence. Errinundra was referring to me.

[Banned -t]
J-Dark Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Tempest wrote:

My only problem with that is that one's political views are an intrinsic part of how one reads the world, much like religious, or cultural views. They influence every idea we form. I don't see how it's possible to discuss media with political topics (like Kino's Journey, or the Roses of Versailles or My lesbian experience with loneliness or -very obviously in recent events- Franxx) without acknowledging that we interpret these things through the lens of believes we already hold. It's not an accessory one can just not carry.

I don't think I was ever outright talking about my political views here before, but I'm sure they shine through when I voice my opinions, whether that was the intent or not.

I'd also like to add a no politics rule or motto doesn't work. I know this from experience because I used to go to the Spoony boards. They had such a rule and all that resulted was a thick atmosphere of passive aggressive comments and unending grudges. It legit became a toxic place to hang around.

Letting moderators keep things under control is absolutely the key to letting a forum run properly, and I think if the new rule is followed properly and they're allowed to exorcise their powers, it will be a net positive in the long run.

If someone starts genuinely abusing that power, then the rest of the staff has to deal with it behind closed doors since bringing it out in public tends to create even more problems. That's always been how a proper mod team functions in my experience.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
This post was deleted, don't re-add it back. -LL

I agree. Too often these days, a conservative perspective on any number of issues is silenced and ridiculed as "hate speech" and "bigotry". The market place of ideas is massive and there are many different ways of looking at the world. People need to be open to actually understanding where another person is coming from rather than just dismissing their view as "bigotry" and "offensive".

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Velshtein wrote:

You might want to consider taking off your progressive and Eurocentric lenses and recognize that there are far more cultures on earth than your own. Western progressivism is nowhere near a global phenomenon. That's why these new rules are too narrow, are a slippery slope, and fail to adequately serve ANN's diverse community.

Of course there are far more cultures than just those found in the US and Europe. Like consider Pakistan, a country that does not exactly have a good history when it comes to LGBT rights. What if someone from Pakistan were to come on this forum, and then post in a thread that dealt with the issue of trans rights? They couldn't help but have a negative opinion of transgender people, is that what you're trying to say?

Except that's false. Pakistan in fact just recently passed a massive transgender rights bill, which outlines a whole host of rights and protections and is considered a major step forward for LGBT rights. Assuming it gets signed by the President, then Pakistan may soon become significantly more friendly towards trans people (at least from a purely legal/official perspective) than about half the US states. The idea that transgender people are human beings deserving of rights, dignity, and respect is [b]not some foreign idea completely alien to the people in Pakistan.

Earlier Tempest mentioned the idea of a "country where people don't yet know how not to be hateful", but this is in my opinion poorly worded. Because there does not exist a single country like that. The truth is always more complicated. Every country in the world has LGBT people, and people who fight for LGBT rights. Every country in the world has people who fight for the rights of women. And so forth. Every country in the world has people who understand that hate is wrong.

I get what Tempest was trying to say though. There are some countries that are especially oppressive, and so he's willing to allow some leniency in some cases.

But the idea that by banning hate speech, entire countries/cultures/etc outside Europe/USA will be barred from being able to participate in the ANN forums or expressing their views is in my opinion, quite frankly insulting to the many diverse cultures and peoples that exist outside the USA/Europe.

And to repeat something that Tempest said:
Quote:

Are you really concerned with our foreign readers? Somehow I suspect you're merely looking for an excuse to argue against progressivism.

Because to use another hypothetical example, it just seems like some people are really, really concerned about say, the people in Saudi Arabia who are probably pissed off that it's ban on women drivers has been lifted. They want to make sure that such folks don't maybe "accidentally" say something negative about women that would run afoul of ANN's hate speech policy, something that could be construed as hateful, but that they're sure wasn't meant with ill intent.

But at the same time, these people don't seem all that concerned about, say, the women activists responsible for the driving ban being lifted. Many of who went to jail in order to fight for their rights, people who deal with enough sexist and hateful crap in their offline lives already, and who would probably want to be able to indulge in their hobbies without dealing with more hate and sexism.

Like, I have no idea how many people, if any, from Saudi Arabia even participate on this board: it's an English language board after all. But I do know that in the case of Saudi Arabia or any other oppressive country, if you're really concerned about welcoming, for example, the people who believe women are inferior and don't deserve equal rights, but at the same time you're not all that concerned about creating a welcoming atmosphere for the women who suffer under that oppression, than you're not actually interested in allowing people from Saudi Arabia to participate in these forums.

You're interested in allowing certain people from Saudi Arabia to participate, specifically those who oppress, rather than those who are oppressed. Or maybe, like Tempest suggested, you actually don't really care about anyone from Saudi Arabia or any other foreign country, and are just looking for an excuse to argue against progressivism.

My concern is that perspectives and worldviews outside of European/American progressivism will be silenced and deliberately misframed as "hate speech". These new rules create a very slippery slope to becoming an Orwellian nightmare and witchhunt against "bigotry". A forum ought to promote civil dialogue between people of differing views, not stifle and shut down dissent.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Ah, Count Dankula, a guy who got in trouble for, quite literally, teaching his dog to "heil Hitler", in a video where he (the person, not the dog) repetitively says to "gas the Jews", and calls his dog a "good wee Nazi!"

I mean I guess there's an argument to be made as to whether this guy should have been outright arrested for this, but ANN won't be arresting people. They'll just be banning people.

So... umn... are you saying that ANN shouldn't ban someone for repeatedly saying "gas the Jews?" because if you're saying that, well, I don't think you're gonna get a lot of agreement. And if you're not saying this, why bring up Count Dankula?

Because the Count Dankula case is a prime example of people looking for genuine "hate speech" and "Nazism" where none exists. In this specific case, the guy was just enjoying some dark humor with his pet dog. I'm a person of color and I did not find his video offensive at all, in fact I found it hilarious. People need to lighten up.[/b]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:

People need to be open to actually understanding where another person is coming from rather than just dismissing their view as "bigotry" and "offensive".

No, we don't need nor have to "understand" where a person is coming from if their point of view is "homosexuality will bring on the end of Western civilization" or if their point of view leads them to attend a white supremacist rally

Quote:
My concern is that perspectives and worldviews outside of European/American progressivism will be silenced and deliberately misframed as "hate speech".

You're just gonna straight up ignore all the examples given to you about non European, non American countries where, unlike some of y'all popular belief, social justice and fights for equal rights for marginalized groups like women, lgbt+ people and racial minorities, (yes, Japan included) actually do exist, aren't you?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 21