• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do TV Ratings Apply To Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

And I think I've read that cable TV is much less common in Japan than the US

It indeed is. And it's part of the problem I mentioned before, since if the reruns aren't on free aerial TV, even less people may watch them.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
But most of those reruns are on cable TV, not on the original free TV. That itself limits access to said anime.
And you wrote it, there are so many different services in Japan, that if you will be lucky and your favourite anime was put online (which is still not guaranteed in Japan), chances are it will be on a service you will only use that one time and never again. And not even the most devoted otaku would pay for such a service. It is easier to pay for cable or satelite subscription in hope the cable channels may air your favourite anime in future (which may never happen, or may happen on a channel your provider doesn't offer) or wait for home media releases, than search like 15+ streaming services and pay for them. That's how things are in Japan.

Most media in Japan is viewed as a 1 time watched and disposed after that. Reruns are very rare, even outside anime. Most people that want to see a rerun tend to rent in DVD/BD rental stores.

Even when come to DVD/BD people tend to prefer rent them than buy it, because that way they free space at the small homes.

Anime producers were surprised that DVD's that were supposed to be for the rental marked, started to be buy by anime collectors.
That was one of the main reason as why anime DVD/BD are so expensive in Japan. The prices are rental marked prices and now are aimed at the small collector marked. Most Japanese anime fans don't buy them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But these days most anime is shown late at night, during hours rented out by the producers, and the programs are shown as infomercials. For those timeslots, the TV networks don't really care how many people watch, since they get paid by the show producers no matter what. And since it's so late at night, most people are watching the show online, or using recording devices to time-delay the show to watch later.
I've known this for awhile, and often wondered: is there still a point to pay to air this stuff on TV, when they could probably reach the hardcore/dedicated otaku audience just as well via streaming? That's money that could be going to animation studios instead.
Valjean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

That presumes they're strictly limited by mobile data, a dangerous presumption indeed.

Not at all. There are still some rural ISPs that offer either capped data only or charge exorbitant prices for unlimited.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've known this for awhile, and often wondered: is there still a point to pay to air this stuff on TV, when they could probably reach the hardcore/dedicated otaku audience just as well via streaming? That's money that could be going to animation studios instead.

Japan is still a country were streaming are still not prevalent in the otaku community. The preferred means of watching anime is still TV.

And I don't think they would just give more money to studios to make the same anime. Maybe producers would used that saved money to make more anime for other LN or manga.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

That presumes they're strictly limited by mobile data, a dangerous presumption indeed.

Not at all. There are still some rural ISPs that offer either capped data only or charge exorbitant prices for unlimited.

I don't even live in a rural area, and our choice of ISPs are all either extremely slow or expensive AND unstable.

The major thing is that, in the US, there is a sort of agreement among ISPs to divvy up cities, towns, and neighborhoods where each of them gets full control over certain areas. People like us don't have a choice in the matter. In my case, Frontier Communications has the only ISP above DSL in my area, the other options being small providers like Windstream that, at least in our neighborhood, cannot go above 1 Mbps.

I have also yet to be able to find an equivalent to channel surfing on streaming services. Streaming services are built on the assumption that you want to watch something specific, and even randomizers are based on cookies, which assume you want to watch something similar to what you've been watching recently. (And I am not interested in always starting from the first episode.) The people who make TV programs are making more money than ever, and the networks own these shows so they're not in any financial troubles, but I am sad that channel-surfing is becoming a lost art. Channel surfing is how I got into anime in the first place: I was bored one afternoon and noticed Dragon Ball Z was on Cartoon Network, so I watched it and I liked it. (It was just before the Ginyu Force battles.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
I think we are misunderstanding how studios are making money from viewers.

1) Online Streaming - The studios sell licenses to legal streaming sites for a sum, mind you not a small sum, a considerable sum. And that is already quite a large amount to cover their expenditures ->Provided an online platform is actually willing to buy them.

2)TV - Yes, they do show almost everything you see on online platforms on TV. The reason why they do and they don't have to put them up on Japanese streaming platforms is because the Japanese people can record them on their TV set top boxes for when a show airs, AND THEY DON'T NEED THE SHOWS TO BE SUBBED! *How lucky are they to be Japanese/know Japanese/live in Japan lol.....

3)Blu-Rays/DVD & Merchandise - Blu-Rays are expensive stuff. Yes, even if the number of people who do buy them might be low, if a show's popular, they get sold out real quick. Unbelievable but true. And merchandise - They can range from cheap to very expensive. People do buy them too. *by people, I mean, this mostly concerns viewers in Japan

So the profit from a show isn't purely from telecasting it, it comes from a number of sources. So it really explains how producing a show is really a gamble. If people like it, you might gain, but even so, you might still not gain a lot. If people don't like it, that's where you can see studios closing down or go on hiatus to save capital and wait for the next season before making another show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2