• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
@FireChick From what I've seen from partially reading the first chapter, and from what others have told me happens down the line, the author most definitely grossly sexualizes young children to a really awful degree.

No matter how much I'd otherwise enjoy the premise, I'm passing really hard on reading or watching anything by this guy.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
@Calico
@Silent_Ninja

I've the habit of buying the Japanese printings of manga and novels that catch my attention.

And have been following Made in Abyss for several years...
Refresh my memory at what point does the manga " grossly sexualizes young children to a really awful degree."

Only quasi "sexual" situation I remember may be misinterpreted by those whom have not read special chapter 2..or is it 3? Hint,there once was a dog,enough said.
Or I'am forgetting stuff..it has been a while since I've read the early volumes.

There is the standard Japanese humor towards bodily waste and bodily functions...As you get further into the story,one thing is clear the author uses body horror,really horrific stuff.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
@FireChick From what I've seen from partially reading the first chapter, and from what others have told me happens down the line, the author most definitely grossly sexualizes young children to a really awful degree.

No matter how much I'd otherwise enjoy the premise, I'm passing really hard on reading or watching anything by this guy.

It's really not that big of a deal and the core appeal can easily be seperated from the questionable aspects.

To me, it's just another flaw. It really annoys me more as a poor attempt at comic relief rather than something offensive.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
For those of you saying it's not a big deal or that I'm exaggerating, the first chapter has the twelve year old but younger looking protagonist tied up and naked.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
there is a clear distinction to be made here: a pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to real-life children (including boys and girls), and a lolicon is someone who is sexually attracted to fictional drawings of little prepubescent girls.

The problem with this argument is that, if someone finds a drawing of an adult character attractive, it's a near-certainty that they feel the same way about similar-looking real humans; and equally likely that they are generally attracted to people of the same apparent age and gender. It seems like quite a stretch to say this strong correlation does not apply when the drawing is of a child.

That said, the situation with Made in Abyss (going by the anime, at least) is not so straightforward. Westerners tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to underage nudity, as if it automatically means a pedo is on the loose; Japan seems to be kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum, believing it represents innocence, even when sexual themes start to sneak in. For an anime fan, I'm pretty easily-offended when it comes to fanservice, but I never felt like MiA crossed that line--there's no noticeable "male gaze" camera positioning or anything of that nature. The tendency for Riko and Reg to fall into traditional gender roles (not most of the time, but too frequently to ignore) bothered me more than the nudity issues.

Some people will still find those aspects of it unacceptable, and I'm not going to tell them they're wrong, but I don't think we need to be concerned that the author might be a pedophile. If the manga was really unambiguously inappropriate, the high-concept-and-production-values anime adaptation either wouldn't exist, or it would be a slap-dash job with the nasty stuff amplified instead of toned down.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

There is the standard Japanese humor towards bodily waste and bodily functions...As you get further into the story,one thing is clear the author uses body horror,really horrific stuff.

I assume this portion of your comment I've quoted applies specifically to me? I say this because your previous paragraphs are more directed to @Calico even though you've tagged my username at the top too which makes it seem like you're directing them towards me as well thus potentially causing some confusion. Unlike @Calico, I did not say that it "grossly sexualizes young children to a really awful degree.".

In any case, I'm no Japanese cultural guru but I already know that bodily waste and functions are part of Japanese humour. I understand some of the jokes are the awkward kinds that children make at that age and I don't have an issue with that. However, I do find some of the other jokes to be in poor taste. I'm also not new to body horror in manga as I'm a reader of Berserk. I recognize that the author is doing a great job of making the Made in Abyss manga very disturbing which is the point and I don't have I problem with it, but how he implements his take on body horror comes off as fetishistic in my honest opinion as that's one of the few things I don't like about the manga. However that's not going to stop me from reading it because I also do recognize he has a talent for storytelling and that's something I'll always give him credit for despite some of the elements I'm not fond of.

Last edited by Silent_Ninja on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
For those of you saying it's not a big deal or that I'm exaggerating, the first chapter has the twelve year old but younger looking protagonist tied up and naked.

For one panel, and that was really as bad as the series ever got. Some playful dick jokes don't draw the same ire as child bdsm.

Yeah it's gross but I'll be damned if that alone ruined a series this good.

I guess this is a series you need a bit of an iron gut for, and I mean that in both a good and bad way.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Silent_Ninja wrote:
there is a clear distinction to be made here: a pedophile is someone who is sexually attracted to real-life children (including boys and girls), and a lolicon is someone who is sexually attracted to anime or manga lolis that don't resemble real-life children due to their anime-style visual character design.

The problem with this argument is that, if someone finds a drawing of an adult character attractive, it's a near-certainty that they feel the same way about similar-looking real humans; and equally likely that they are generally attracted to people of the same apparent age and gender. It seems like quite a stretch to say this strong correlation does not apply when the drawing is of a child.

That said, the situation with Made in Abyss (going by the anime, at least) is not so straightforward. Westerners tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to underage nudity, as if it automatically means a pedo is on the loose; Japan seems to be kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum, believing it represents innocence, even when sexual themes start to sneak in. For an anime fan, I'm pretty easily-offended when it comes to fanservice, but I never felt like MiA crossed that line--there's no noticeable "male gaze" camera positioning or anything of that nature. The tendency for Riko and Reg to fall into traditional gender roles (not most of the time, but too frequently to ignore) bothered me more than the nudity issues.

Some people will still find those aspects of it unacceptable, and I'm not going to tell them they're wrong, but I don't think we need to be concerned that the author might be a pedophile. If the manga was really unambiguously inappropriate, the high-concept-and-production-values anime adaptation either wouldn't exist, or it would be a slap-dash job with the nasty stuff amplified instead of toned down.

Ah, that's a fair point if the drawings do resemble real life children. You are correct about that. What I meant by "fictional drawings of little prepubescent little girls" is ones who are actual anime lolis we watch in anime shows or read in manga and don't resemble real life children due to their anime-style visual character design. My sincere apologies for the wording, kotomikun. I hope I've clarified any misunderstandings. I also fixed my original comment to further prevent more misunderstandings from others.

I do wholeheartedly agree with your other two paragraphs though. I believe it would be best if we did not drag out this discussion any further than it needs to.

Last edited by Silent_Ninja on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

For one panel, and that was really as bad as the series ever got.

Did you really read the same manga as I did?
We should we talk about the spoiler[ popping boner with the two 12 years old bathing together during Nanachi's arc, while she recalls that happened whenever she was carrying him around after a overheating ] or the most recent infamous example that made literally every thread about MiA on /a/ call him out as a lolicon god for somehow coming up with a spoiler[cullingus monster bathroom, where Riko was making a quite odd face while saying she "wasn't expecting it to wipe out so much"]
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Wow, I’ve never seen such a narrow-minded review of anything before this one.

Try reading some of the reviews on this very website. Some people here are cultivating a culture of shaming japanese works for not being completely aligned with modern western values (or, in case of Darling in Franxx reviews, accusing authors of things they haven't even done yet). So try to not be surprised it's finally bearing fruits.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll tell you a bit about these charges: the author of Made in Abyss, after the arrest of Hurouni Kenshin author Nobuhiro Watsuki, said he would draw less nudity because some people were already bothering him about it. Besides the fact that he did not want the authorities to bother him because of baseless accusations. So he decided he would use less nudity so that no one would raise unfounded charges.

This I saw on your Twitter profile. I personally can not claim that he is a sexual offender based on his work, that is not enough. But I can not deny that in Japanese culture the nudity they reproduce in comics is common involving a wide range of ages. An example is Tsugumomo, Girls Last Tour and more. It is not a constant, although it is there. Made in Abyss is the same thing.

I am not against anyone who gets bothered by it; if you are troubled, then you have every right to question, but remember: justice is the same for all, you have to prove what you are accusing others of. Because I have no evidence, I will not accuse him, because I did not see anything too much about it.

Now, one question that I leave in the air: why do not these people criticize, for example, sexual tendencies in Western works notoriously charged with this?
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
I'll tell you a bit about these charges: the author of Made in Abyss, after the arrest of Hurouni Kenshin author Nobuhiro Watsuki, said he would draw less nudity because some people were already bothering him about it. Besides the fact that he did not want the authorities to bother him because of baseless accusations. So he decided he would use less nudity so that no one would raise unfounded charges.

This I saw on your Twitter profile. I personally can not claim that he is a sexual offender based on his work, that is not enough. But I can not deny that in Japanese culture the nudity they reproduce in comics is common involving a wide range of ages. An example is Tsugumomo, Girls Last Tour and more. It is not a constant, although it is there. Made in Abyss is the same thing.

I am not against anyone who gets bothered by it; if you are troubled, then you have every right to question, but remember: justice is the same for all, you have to prove what you are accusing others of. Because I have no evidence, I will not accuse him, because I did not see anything too much about it.

Now, one question that I leave in the air: why do not these people criticize, for example, sexual tendencies in Western works notoriously charged with this?

I apologize if I'm interrupting the conversation between you and @FireChick, but I just want to say "Amen" to your comment because it was well-written and very well said.

As for my answer to your question, well I don't want to answer it so that it complete diverts this thread into a completely different topic altogether. However, I will say this: those people you describe are absolute hypocrites. Evil or Very Mad
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
Ronie Peter wrote:

I apologize if I'm interrupting the conversation between you and @FireChick, but I just want to say "Amen" to your comment because it was well-written and very well said.

As for my answer to your question, well I don't want to answer it so that it complete diverts this thread into a completely different topic altogether. However, I will say this: those people you describe are absolute hypocrites. Evil or Very Mad

Or they probably don't read western comics to even know about that. Seriously tho it all comes down to personal tolerance levels. If he had overly sexualized the kids that would be one thing but the panels they talk about were a one and done thing, something to show "this is how the world operates" and then moved on, it never lingered on it or placed the camera at suggestive angles like they do in say the recent 3piece anime. And what children don't talk penises and what not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2