• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 9 Anime Holiday Songs to Set the Mood

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Christmas in the Galaxy" by the Nadesico Cast (Martian Successor Nadesico)

...the cast stays in silly character mode for the track, it succeeds at being FUN.

Got that right! Laughing

I'd also like to mention the number from the Christmas episode of Vandread.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
My special mention of anime christmas songs goes to the Sakura Taisen's "Kiseki no Kane"
https://youtu.be/Xwg60Yw6BSc
(oh, and BTW, saying that Michie Tomizawa sang "a few songs for Sakura Taisen" will be quite an understatement).

Silent Night by Ryotaro Okiayu
https://youtu.be/9_j_8NiQf1k

And Utae! Jingle Bells from One Piece
https://youtu.be/8Of9wfzEzbI
ArchetypeSaber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
I see that Onegai Teacher's "Snow Angel" is all but forgotten at this point. That is kind of a shame.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
This post needs links to all of the songs on YouTube.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't even think "Last Christmas" was the best song sung by Michie Tomizawa on the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Merry Christmas CD (which I own).

She also sung a very jazzy cover of "Hoshi ni Negai wo" on the very same album, which is, in fact, the Japanese version of "When You Wish Upon a Star" from Pinocchio as well as the song still most often used in generic Disney advertising (since "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" was "disappeared" into the memory hole some three decades ago), although they didn't license the song directly from Disney but rather through High Note Publishing Co. Ltd., the rights holder for Japan (at least in 1996, when this CD was published, not sure if still true today) according to the liner notes.

I'm not a hundred percent sure what "When You Wish Upon a Star" is doing on a Christmas album, although I suppose they can make a weak link between that song and the Star of Bethlehem, as well as the star on top of many Christmas trees and the starry night of Christmas Eve and wishing for presents from Santa Claus. Whatever, it's still one of the best tracks on the album.

As for Tenchi Muyo, aside from the Daughter of Darkness soundtrack, they also had a proper Christmas CD that mixed Japanese covers of Christmas songs, original Christmas-themed songs with the pretense that it's the characters doing karaoke, and comedy versions of "A Christmas Carol" and "The Little Match Girl" (a rather somber story to base a comedy on). My favourite track from that was Yumi Takada as a rather drunk Princess Ayeka singing "Koi wa Sesshoya Omahen Ka?" ("Isn't Love Cruel?"), a song about her feeling spurned at Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ABKazey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Sakura Taisen's Kiseki no Kane! Especially the version from the live concert. And "Snow Angel" is cute. There's also "Yasashisa no Tane", from CCS - it's more of a New Year song, but it was on the Christmas album, so.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Re: "Merry Christmas Without You": Cosmic Cuune is the name of the image album the song is on. No, I don't know what the title means (and the C's are uppercase on the plastic slipcover). The whole album is credited to "Sheryl Nome starring May'n / Ranka Lee = Megumi Nakajima."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2