• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Accept No Waifu Imitations: How to Spot a Fake Rem Bride Figure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
reanimator wrote:
If you have one of those counterfeits, then it's better off give it little kids. Make sure it doesn't look NSFW.

Hmm, would you say that applies to plushes too?

I ask because I collect plushes, and I discovered at least one of them is a counterfeit. (I found that out by comparing its tag with that of another plush from the same line that I have and noticed the print quality on the knockoff's tag is much, much lower. It was also off-model, but sometimes, official stuff is horribly off model anyway so I didn't pay that much mind until later.) I want to get rid of it, and I've since obtained the official thing (which is a LOT more on-model), but i have no idea how to do so besides outright disposing of it.
I wouldn't give kids any illegal merchandise, because there's no telling what health hazards they might contain. Like lead paint, fiberglass stuffing, any number of dangerous chemicals...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
[quote="reanimator"]
Puniyo wrote:
If you have one of those counterfeits, then it's better off give it little kids. Make sure it doesn't look NSFW.

Actually, giving knock-off goods to kids without notice is a bad idea, as that would mess with their developing ability of identifying fakes. Plus, there's the risk of them being exposed to toxic chemicals while handling the fake good.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't give kids any illegal merchandise, because there's no telling what health hazards they might contain. Like lead paint, fiberglass stuffing, any number of dangerous chemicals...

True. I bought it from a vendor at a convention, though I guess these guys can be slippery enough to vanish if they get in trouble for it.

Makes me think of a plush pumpkin I had when I was little. I poked my finger when carrying it and found a pin in there. My mom, alarmed that it was in there, spent a great deal of time examining it and found at least 24 more pins and needles inside of that thing. At that point, she threw it away because it was dangerous. I have no idea what went on at the factory that led to there being that many of them in there. (The counterfeit plushes I have, I have yet to discover anything dangerous inside of them though.)
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Makes me think of a plush pumpkin I had when I was little. I poked my finger when carrying it and found a pin in there. My mom, alarmed that it was in there, spent a great deal of time examining it and found at least 24 more pins and needles inside of that thing. At that point, she threw it away because it was dangerous. I have no idea what went on at the factory that led to there being that many of them in there. (The counterfeit plushes I have, I have yet to discover anything dangerous inside of them though.)

Holy shit how in the hell did that many pins and needles end up in that thing???

That wasn't a plush pumpkin it was a well-used pincushion
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Was your "plush pumpkin" about four or five inches in diameter with heavy thread marking the indentations in the sides? Did it come to you used? It may have been literally a pincushion. They have been making them looking like that for generations. Some come with what looks like a strawberry attached by thread to the center of the top. That contains pumice for sharpening and cleaning needles.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@ leafy sea dragon

I can't say much about counterfeit plushes because I never bought one. If it contains hazardous materials as others have mentioned, then my recommendation is just toss it out for sake of safety.

It is painful to throw away something that has wonderful memories, but the life goes on and no treasure lasts forever. To me, pirated items only reminds me of foolishness of youth by being conned by shady sellers.

If you have a small percentage of counterfeits among legit merchandises, then disposing them wouldn't be too painful.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

Was your "plush pumpkin" about four or five inches in diameter with heavy thread marking the indentations in the sides? Did it come to you used? It may have been literally a pincushion. They have been making them looking like that for generations. Some come with what looks like a strawberry attached by thread to the center of the top. That contains pumice for sharpening and cleaning needles.

I knew what a pincushion was at that time, and it was WAY too big to be a pincushion. (My mom did a lot of sewing and had a few pincushions herself, including the tomato-and-strawberry kind, so I was quite familiar with pincushions.) I'd estimate it to be about 15 inches (about 37 centimeters) across. It was big enough and soft enough to be used as a pillow (and the seller spoke of it like it was a pillow), but fortunately, I never rested my head on the thing because we found the first pin before I ever used it as one.

There were about five pins and needles barely sticking out of it, visible if you looked carefully. The rest of them, my mom found by squeezing it. That is, the pointy things were completely embedded within the pumpkin and thus not visible at all. It would've impaled anyone tired enough to crash onto a couch and actually use it as a pillow. That's why I used the word "inside" though, and not "on" like you would a pincushion.

And no, it was not used, or at least it showed no signs of use. It came wrapped in sealed plastic. I suspected then that it was like this when it came out of wherever it was made, and that's what I suspect today. Someone at the factory probably DID use it as a pincushion, and instead of taking them out, just pushed them into the pumpkin so no one would notice.

We had an equally sized watermelon with it, but that one only contained about 5 pins and needles. That was eventually thrown away too though. My father was infuriated at these dangerous things we were finding in these and wanted to go over to complain, but the seller vanished without a trace.

reanimator wrote:
@ leafy sea dragon

I can't say much about counterfeit plushes because I never bought one. If it contains hazardous materials as others have mentioned, then my recommendation is just toss it out for sake of safety.

It is painful to throw away something that has wonderful memories, but the life goes on and no treasure lasts forever. To me, pirated items only reminds me of foolishness of youth by being conned by shady sellers.

If you have a small percentage of counterfeits among legit merchandises, then disposing them wouldn't be too painful.

It's fine, I got an authentic one that looks a lot better and is on-model. The counterfeit has nothing dangerous in it as far as I can tell, but it WAS a lesson on not just buying things at conventions without examining it carefully, because there will always be a few bootleg things here and there (and can be hard to tell if the franchise has historically had a lot of off-model and poor-quality merchandise, like Pokémon or Sonic).

I was initially thinking of donating it, but I felt guilty about giving someone a counterfeit without informing them of that first. It'd also make a terrible gift. So I've just had it wrapped in a plastic bag in the corner of my room for years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2