• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is The Purpose Of Recap Episodes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Along with Re:Creators, my other favorite recap begins episode 16 of Kill la Kill.

Darn, you beat me to it.
jenny10-11 wrote:
My favorite non-planned recap/clip episode was from The Legend of Korra (I know it's not an anime). They had too much series left at the end of their money, so they either had to fire some animators, or throw together a recap episode They added some new animation ad some fun jokes, and it worked well. It was also at the end of the series, so it didn't feel as unnecessary as one in the middleof a show.

Funny, that was probably my most-hated recap episode, to the extent that I refused to watch it when rewatching the show with my folks.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
My hero academia episode 13.5 was a very fun recap episode. Tons of great small little additions. Loved Deku's drawings and the the way they edited the whole thing. Felt like it was really well thought out.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
How many recaps(recap-esque episodes) do we have this season? Is it just Wake Up, Girls and Just Because? I've seen about 10 shows so far, but those are the only two I've caught with them. It's not a good sign to see multiple last-resort recaps in a single season, regardless.

Yuyuyu had a recap, though it made sense to have one rather than jumping directly from the prequel half to the sequel half (I happened to rewatch the first season for the dub around the same time, so it was kind of wasted on me, though), so I assume it may have been planned ahead of time.

True, but YuYuYu's recap was a special case - recapping events from a separate entry in the franchise before proceeding to it's sequel. I wouldn't count it among this season's recaps/special eps myself, like re:Creators it's in a category all it's own.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Recap episodes occasionally do some good, unless the viewer has a super memory. I felt the ones in the Monogatari franchise and at the beginning of My Hero Academia season 2 were well-done and appropriately timed.

Monogatari is a funny example of something being sort of planned. I remember when the second season was announced it was stated that Shaft would be adapting six books (Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiangshi, Nadeko Medusa, Shinobu Time, Hitagi End and Suruga Devil), but closer to airing it was announced that the last one would be a separate ova. There's a possibility that the staff realised they'd have trouble getting the final arc out on time, but I personally suspect they saw how the release of Neko Black as a one/two day special event didn't hurt blu ray sales, and decided to just do it at a later date, padding out a recap episode between each arc. I found it pretty annoying at the time but there was a crafty logic to it.

Also, as a few people have mentioned, Wolf Rain was affected by the SARS outbreak that was hitting most of Asia at the time. That's less a case of production going off the rails, and more freak disaster territory, just like how the final episodes of Madoka were delayed by months due to the 2011 earthquake.

You can normally tell if recap footage is deliberate a lot by the placing or inclusion of additional content. FMA:B, Kill la Kill and Re: Creators all had one at the end of a major arc around the mid-point of the show, in order to re-jog your memory before continuing. This allows them to add characterisation, jokes etc. With shows like Kado, Last Exile: Fam (or half a dozen Gonzo shows), which had recaps recaps out nowhere in the middle of an arc, you can tell there were some production difficulties involved.

Long running shounen sometimes follows a similar structure, in addition to usually having smaller recaps open the episode for the purpose of padding/time saving.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Washio Sumi no Shou stood almost entirely on its own; the flashback episode helps keep viewers who managed to get interested in season 2 invested since the second half takes place right after the first season ends. Outside of that, it also does a neat job of stitching the two halves of the season together.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of "favourite recap episode", I'll go with Kekkai Sensen's episode 10.5. The way it was framed as a talk between Leo and a radio host was cool, plus you can never get enough of Studio Bones' animation. That was one of those half-new half-old cases but the finale still had a crazy delay.

Using that as an example, I'd say recap eps aren't as effective as you think they are all the time, but in most cases the extra week of catch-up does allow things to come to completion.

My heart only breaks for the animators when I learn of circumstances behind recap episodes, because obviously you can't feel sorry when the recap ep was planned from the beginning (as was the case in Kado, IIRC).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

rizuchan wrote:
I guess my question is, if recap episodes are so damaging to the reputation of the show, why not just show a rerun or something else? US TV shows do this all the time when there are production issues without a huge stink, although TV shows in the US hardly have reliable schedules to begin with. It just seems like creating a recap is a waste of time and money, if it's not saving face at all. Usually there's got to be a voice over or something to keep it coherent, so there's gotta be a handful of staff that have to be pulled away from their hectic schedules to cobble it together.

Based on the article itself, the issue is that a specific TV show has a limited amount of timeslots to fill. Whether it's a rerun or a recap, they have the same amount of timeslots left. My guess is that a recap at least looks like some effort was made to producr something in time, whereas a rerun would look like a total white flag. And since reruns are rare on Japanese television (for anime at least), it might confuse audiences.

I didn't realize what they were getting at exactly until just now, but the reason they can't just air a rerun to fill the time slot for a week is because the block was purchased by the production committee for their specific series. Since production committees are generally created for each series, specifically for that series, they don't have the rights or ability to air anything else but that series. If the TV network was the one who purchased the rights, that would be a different situation, but that is rarely the case with anime, especially late night anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I didn't realize what they were getting at exactly until just now, but the reason they can't just air a rerun to fill the time slot for a week is because the block was purchased by the production committee for their specific series. Since production committees are generally created for each series, specifically for that series, they don't have the rights or ability to air anything else but that series. If the TV network was the one who purchased the rights, that would be a different situation, but that is rarely the case with anime, especially late night anime.

Well, I meant reruns of that same show, such as, say, the first episode or something.

Of course, the big thing, I'd say, is that viewers are promised a new episode of something, and they'd better put out a new episode. We get the season system here in the United States where animation has a lead time of years (with a few exceptions), but I know Americans will get really angry too if they're expecting a new episode and they get a rerun instead.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I guess my question is, if recap episodes are so damaging to the reputation of the show, why not just show a rerun or something else?

If a recap episode makes the production look bad, a straight repeat or something else entirely would make the production look worse. A recap episode isn't great, but it at least shows they put some effort into something; not doing it says either they're too cheap/lazy for even that minimum effort or too incompetent to even get that much done.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
oh god, GOd eater they ahd so many recaps episodes in the first season that they ran out of stuff to recap, not to mention they ahd to buya second season to air the 4 episodes they misssed in the first one; god bless ufo table.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, I meant reruns of that same show, such as, say, the first episode or something.

Of course, the big thing, I'd say, is that viewers are promised a new episode of something, and they'd better put out a new episode. We get the season system here in the United States where animation has a lead time of years (with a few exceptions), but I know Americans will get really angry too if they're expecting a new episode and they get a rerun instead.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. Also, most of these cases aren't long running shows, so, it would be pretty confusing to suddenly be served the first episode that you just saw 6 weeks ago over again, before skipping back to the current episode a week later. No real sense in that. With longer running shows I could see it making a little sense, but it would only work with something episodic that you could easily drop in and out of, not something like One Piece, where you generally need to see an arc in its entirety to make any sense of it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Oh yeah, I'm with you. Also, most of these cases aren't long running shows, so, it would be pretty confusing to suddenly be served the first episode that you just saw 6 weeks ago over again, before skipping back to the current episode a week later. No real sense in that. With longer running shows I could see it making a little sense, but it would only work with something episodic that you could easily drop in and out of, not something like One Piece, where you generally need to see an arc in its entirety to make any sense of it.

Detective Conan actually does air reruns of older episodes not infrequently. Not that we see them outside Japan. The show does seem like a good fit for that though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, that, or something like Sazae-san is what I was thinking of exactly. It makes a lot of sense in that situation. Especially since you could literally go back a decade or more to grab an episode that many of your current viewers likely have never seen.
Daizo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Anyone remember KareKano? If you tally up all the recap bits (and episodes), they probably make up at least a quarter of the entire series...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many completed episodes the average show has when it starts broadcast. I've long heard about the ragged anime production process and, of course, Shirobako was all about that. It makes me wonder why production committees don't plan it so that there are sufficient episodes already in the can before broadcast starts so that the pipeline literally can't get backed up. I don't watch many North American animation TV shows, but my impression is that they don't suffer from the recap disease.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5