• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Nostalgic OVAs That Are Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Magus Bride's OP is leading in the new poll, to be honest. I guess this is a case of simple numbers skewing the result. Personally, I thought the general consensus was that it's not a very good OP, but everyone is watching the show, so that's getting votes anyway.
My personal pick is Girls' Last Tour. Both the OP and ED for that show are phenomenal. It's a good season for OPs though. MMO Junkie, Kino's Journey, Blend-S, Inuyashiki, and a number of other shows all have pretty strong OPs.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Boy do I feel old! I have seen 6 of the 8 OVA's and I own 3 of them (MAPS, Elf Princess Rane and Sol Bianca)
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Have all of these on DVD except Sol Bianca (which I believe I once had on VHS) and Princess Rouge. I have fond memories of all the ones I have, especially Elf Princess Rane, These titles are lightweight to be sure, but can be a lot of fun. A part of me misses the handful-of-episodes OVAs of the past--a lot (perhaps too many) were drek, but mixed in the rubble were minor, not-too-polished gems like this list.

DIscotek, are you out there reading? Smile

(Correction: Elf Princes Rane is a polished gem. Fixed that.)
kagome1571

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all 8 and own four of them. 3 on VHS (Tattoon , SOL Bianca & Gestalt) and 2 on DVD (MAPS & SOL Bianca :Legacy). Also own or have seen many of the other OVA's that members posting have mention, (Lemnear, Mosquiton, Greenwood).

Here's another one - 4 episodes on 2 VHS volumes (Final Fantasy : Legend of the Crystals) Anyone remember it?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
All of these look fine to me, the best looking ones probably being Princess Rouge, Sol Bianca and Elf Princess Rane. Plastic Little looks....alright (first heard of it when I heard reviewer Carlos Ross suggest I believe rabid DBZ fans to watch it or something, I dunno...). Shinesman should have been on this list though, that's an amazing OVA! Or Ami-Chan's First Love!

Based on some of the other comments for OVAs I've seen and glimpsed at, Hyper Doll was decent, Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland was horrid, not only does it make the Care Bears Wonderland movie (which was horrid), look like an excellent adaptation of the Lewis Carroll story, it had no plot, the characters had no personality, I didn't laugh a single time and actually groaned at a certain predictable joke in the beginning (with the door), and what were you doing in there, Emi Shinohara, Sakura Tange, Rica Matsumoto, Masako Katsuki, Megumi Ogata, and Kikuko Inoue, what were you doing in that crap? Shocked

To me that one deserves to be forgotten and drift into obscurity along with other trash OVAs like Jungle de Ikou (how the hell did that get an A on this website?? Shocked) and Virgin Fleet, both of them being two of the worst anime I've ever seen. You can actually find it online at FantasyAnime.org, or Dailymotion, as I've done a channel "The Worst Anime Ever" which includes a lot of bad anime on it (including a good amount of Obari anime and Sailor Moon Crystal seasons 1-2).

Some good ones I've found are the "You're Under Arrest" OVA, and the Makeruna! Makendō one, based on the video game of the same name, I never thought in a million years I'd hear Kotono Mitsuishi and Ryo Horikawa voice two protagonists working together in that one, but does anyone else know any other old anime OVAs that could exist out there, just wondering, besides these ones here?

And also, if I'm correct, usually OVAs only have two or three episodes if they're not popular enough and/or don't sell well?

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Still got Elf Princess Rane on disk, and Video Girl Ai, but looks like I get to be the only poster who remembers Rumik World: The Supergal/Maris the Choujo?
Rumiko Takahashi's only comedy entry of the otherwise horror Rumik World series, and a return to the screwball space humor of Urusei Yatsura. AnimEigo had the VHS, and may have released an early DVD, before losing most of their licenses..."It's all the fault of being poor!" Very Happy

So many of AnimEigo's early OVA-era 90's releases are now missing-presumed-gone, like the original Spirit of Wonder, Vampire Princess Miyu OVA, and the Gall Force SD-spoof double feature of Ten Little Gal Force/Scramble Wars
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
How could you forget the early 80s OVA "Dallos"? That is considered to be among the earliest OVA titles?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Gestalt, I got a lot of laughs out of it. Plastic Little was surprising good, aside from the main plot.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
What!? No mention of KO Century Beast? Back then a seven episode OVA was rare, I think only Ranma 1/2 produced more.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm surprised that Magus Bride's OP is leading in the new poll, to be honest. I guess this is a case of simple numbers skewing the result. Personally, I thought the general consensus was that it's not a very good OP, but everyone is watching the show, so that's getting votes anyway.
My personal pick is Girls' Last Tour. Both the OP and ED for that show are phenomenal. It's a good season for OPs though. MMO Junkie, Kino's Journey, Blend-S, Inuyashiki, and a number of other shows all have pretty strong OPs.

I think the phrasing is a factor too. While I would agree that the OP as a whole isn't as good, given that it is phrased like this - What's your favorite opening song for the Fall 2017 season?? - I think that makes at least some focus on just the song, where as far as I can tell it is more highly regarded. The popularity of each of the shows is certainly a factor as well.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the ending song for Legend of the Last Labyrinth (Princess Rouge). The trailer also used the song.

Princess Rouge Legend of The Last Labyrinth part 4
(Ending song "Last Labyrinth", with subtitles, from 9:10 to 12:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeenFdUqbo#t=550

Princess Rouge (Legend of the Last Labyrinth) - US Preview Anime Works (2:17):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFLZXB8qtXY
animenewsnetwork.com/video/136/

菊池 志穂 (Shiho Kikuchi) - Last Labyrinth (Full version of ending song, 4:50):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohnC7u8LEM
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I've seen all but Tatoon Master. Débutante Detective Corps is visually similar enough to other 80's titles that I can't be sure one way or another. Sol Bianca is a classic; Plastic Little is worth a watch.

The Princess Rouge DVD release is notable for one of the first "re-mix" special features (a la Ghost Stories): the English voice actors redubbed sections with completely irrelevant dialogue, to comedic effect. I still remember "Monster vanquished. Tokyo saved. Scenes at 11."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@EricJ2

The Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs on DVD are still available from AnimEigo's website. $6.99 each.

Also I still have the Rumik World titles Maris the Chojo; Fire Tripper; and The Laughing Target on VHS. They never made the change to DVD as far as I know. They were all from U.S. Manga Corp. (Central Park Media) not AnimEigo.

Last edited by Alan45 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Gestalt, bizarrely having Takehito Koyasu voicing a meek priest in that, considering his other roles in late 90s and even in 00s anime.

My favorite though it is rather hard to watch at parts is Puppet Princess which Media Blasters released in the early 00s, the OVA was released kind of the late side of things in a bout 2000. I won't reveal anything about the dark bits of the OVA.

Twin Signal was another good OVA I watched.
Then of course there's the severally disjointed Earthian OVAs which even I managed to wring some enjoyment out of despite being rather disjointed and skipping over large portions of their own manga's storyline for some reason.

As for trashy OVAs I've seen that I liked, Dark Cat and Guardian of Darkness were two I remember.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was delightfully nostalgic for me too. I own all of these except Tattoon Master (which I am somehow totally ignorant of), and watched them all countless times. Since I don't remember Tattoon Master, I'd probably replace that one with Shinesman, the Rayearth OVA, or Shamanic Princess (not sure if this one is OOP atm) as my picks for formative and OOP anime OVAs nostalgic to me.

Kimera, Ninja Cadets, Jungle de Ikou!, the Oh My Goddess! OVA, and the Sakura Wars OVAs also come to mind as being memorable OOP titles for various reasons. *goes off humming the Sakura Wars OVA opening*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6