• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are Theaters For Theatrical Releases Decided?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't think that Windsor is that weird. "That city across from Detroit" seems like a good location in that you can get people from the Detroit area without actually having it be in Detroit itself. Actually after looking it up on a map, it becomes even more apparent. When one says it is across from Detroit, it is right across from Detroit. Like you would only need to cross one bridge from downtown Detroit, and you're there. To me it seems weird that they wouldn't have locations there.

Wow, you're right. Looking at the street layout, Windsor also seems to be in the middle of a much larger metropolitan area, whereas I had the impression that it was a small town of 1,000 out in the middle of the countryside.

Having made the odd trip to Windsor I can categorically state that that it is not the easiest trip to make; there is a two-lane tunnel that is located on the U.S. side very close to the RenCen and a four-lane bridge that is <2 miles away to the South is packed with truck traffic (the only other bridge from Ontario to the Lower Peninsula that can accommodate commercial trucks is ~65 miles to the North -- over an hour's worth of driving).
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:

Having made the odd trip to Windsor I can categorically state that that it is not the easiest trip to make; there is a two-lane tunnel that is located on the U.S. side very close to the RenCen and a four-lane bridge that is <2 miles away to the South is packed with truck traffic (the only other bridge from Ontario to the Lower Peninsula that can accommodate commercial trucks is ~65 miles to the North -- over an hour's worth of driving).

I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience as me trying to get through border patrol, or if I really was just super unlucky both times. Regardless, I still wouldn't risk the trip if I lived in Detroit, personally.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
GanNingKino wrote:
I really do try not to be offended by silly things, but calling the Midwest WASP-y was pretty snarky and not that accurate, either.

Just because we're not on a coast doesn't mean you can insult us.

Yeah, the Midwest is so provincial I don't know how they get more than 5 people to show up to Ohayocon and Anime Central. :roll: Rightstuf must be a fortress, hunkered down as they are amidst all those uncultured, xenophobic Iowans.

There's some truth to the stereotype, though. I'm in the extremely un-diverse Grand Rapids metro area, and the dominant theater chain here does great a business running Red State movies like "God's Not Dead", while their rule-of-thumb for anime pretty much starts and ends with Ghibli. Although, to be fair, they're doing two showings of A Silent Voice, which is more than I expected (although that might have been partly from my haranguing them on Twitter about it).

There used to be an Alamo Drafthouse an hour south in Kalamazoo, but they have closed up shop. Most of the time, I need to drive two hours each way to the The Maple Theater just outside Detroit, which pretty much gets all of these anime movies, including the four-hour Love Live Sunshine concert movie last month.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08

How officious the Border Patrol is probably is based on how recent the last scare was. The last time I was out of the country was before 9/11 which makes a big difference. My wife an I were attending a doll convention in Niagara Falls. One morning we walked over the bridge to the Canadian side for breakfast . (You didn't need a passport then) The restaurant is about fifty feet from the falls. On the way back the BP just waved at us.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@relyat08

How officious the Border Patrol is probably is based on how recent the last scare was. The last time I was out of the country was before 9/11 which makes a big difference. My wife an I were attending a doll convention in Niagara Falls. One morning we walked over the bridge to the Canadian side for breakfast . (You didn't need a passport then) The restaurant is about fifty feet from the falls. On the way back the BP just waved at us.

You probably also didn't look very suspicious either. Especially after 9/11, some of my Muslim friends would keep getting caught in security. Someone I've known since we were 6 year old is a Sikh, headgear and all, and he has a LOT of trouble.

I remember in my high school, some of these friends would have various faculty people go through their backpacks and such, whereas I was never targeted for a "random inspection" even once even though, as an art student, I carried at least a dozen sharp tools and toxic liquids in my bag.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
@Alan45 Yeah, I'm amazed when I think back to Family trips to Canada when I lived in Washington State. The ease of getting over and back was insane. It may as well have just been traveling to another state.
My more recent trips, in 2010 and '15, were a much different case. Getting into Canada was easy enough, just like going through a ticket booth, but the way back was something else. We had to exit the car, they brought out dogs, I don't know if it was legal, but they even searched the car.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Yeah, a middle aged white couple doesn't attract much attention. I've always felt more or less invisible in crowds, one of those people no one notices.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I don't know if it was legal, but they even searched the car.

U.S. Customs is practically a law unto itself. Amtrak, at one point, had a train running from Chicago to Toronto by way of Port Huron, MI; then it was truncated to Port Huron when -- amongst other complications -- Customs started holding the trains for as long as they felt like it.
Wikipedia wrote:
Until 2001, the International had a customs stop of about one hour, with U.S. officials conducting screenings on the train at Port Huron. After the September 11th attacks, security personnel were redeployed to the Blue Water Bridge, and U.S. Customs refused to continue on-board screenings. (On-board screenings continued on Amtrak's three other border-crossing routes.) Westbound passengers had to be bussed with their luggage from Sarnia to Port Huron, costing Amtrak $27,000 a month. The security issues caused massive delays, even after on-board screening resumed on February 19, 2002 amid complaints from the state and both railroads. By this time, just 8 to 15 passengers crossed the border on a typical day.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to respond to this -- and it's been almost a week since my previous post.....
Compelled to Reply wrote:
^American Chinese food isn't the same as Chinese you will generally find in China. [...]

When I was living in the D.C. area, I tried to frequent this restaurant (China Canteen) for it's Chicken Over Vegetable Szechuan Style dish. I would end up leaving the restaurant with both my eyes and nose running, accompanying an endorphin rush. On a white board nailed to a wall there were written what I assumed were Hanzi characters laying out the menu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3