• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Worst School Teachers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote

Notably absent.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Why isn't the main character of Kodomo no Jikan in there? Holy shit what a sick fudge that dude was. That manga was one of the few instances I can think of where it got licensed and then canceled because because it was so bad.

Apparently someone else licensed it for a digital release, and even had a Kickstarter to release it in a physical format?

Only thing good about that manga was the cute chubby teacher.

seven seas licensed it, but then canceled the manga cause it was basically softcore ecchi fanservice and it was causing a lot of controversy. but seriously. compared to other ecchi series like highschool dxd , trinity seven , triage x shinmai mao no testament and others like the uber loli fanservice anime series popotan, kodomo no jikan's lolicon fanservice is rather tame

luckily it was relicensed by digital media who was the one behind the kickstarter. hopefully if the manga does well enough, it might finally warrant the license holders to get the anime series licensed in the US, fully unedited and uncensored. i for one would definitely get that dvd version since i have already preordered the manga, though i am the minority here since i have a massive tolerance for over the top ecchi and borerline fanservice. including the lolicon type (IE: watch & compare kodomo no jikan to Popotan)

also kodomo no jikan's teacher actually gives a damn about his students. sure he's no koro-sensei or negi springfield cause of his obvious lolicon complex, but at least he's not a bat shit serial killer like the teacher from ERASED!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Why isn't the main character of Kodomo no Jikan in there? Holy shit what a sick fudge that dude was. That manga was one of the few instances I can think of where it got licensed and then canceled because because it was so bad.

No, you're wrong. As a teacher, Aoki was pretty damn professional, despite most of Rin's advances. It makes perfect reason he's not on the list. And the reason Seven Seas dropped it was because they didn't have the balls to release the rest of it considering the developments of the later volumes, not because it wasn't good.

Quote:
Apparently someone else licensed it for a digital release, and even had a Kickstarter to release it in a physical format?

Digital Manga did. Backer here. Smile

Vaisaga wrote:
No, you're thinking of Reiji, Rin's cousin/step-dad who was all Hikaru Genji for her. In the anime at least the main teacher showed no interest in her.

Anime never showed that far ahead, only up to events depicted in volume 4, but Aoki and Rin's relationship does develop slowly in the later volumes, hint;spoiler[They have sex in the last (extra, 14th) volume, after Rin comes of age].

jr240483 wrote:
luckily it was relicensed by digital media who was the one behind the kickstarter. hopefully if the manga does well enough, it might finally warrant the license holders to get the anime series licensed in the US, fully unedited and uncensored. i for one would definitely get that dvd version since i have already preordered the manga, though i am the minority here since i have a massive tolerance for over the top ecchi and borerline fanservice. including the lolicon type (IE: watch & compare kodomo no jikan to Popotan)

Digital Manga you meant. Not sure it will ever be released outside of the kickstarter but if it does I too hope it will become successful despite the controversial content. But unlike you I'm not as hopeful for us seeing an official US release of the anime. As I've once said before, unless FAKKU decides to venture into anime licensing, hell will freeze over before that happens...
A lot of people have doubts DM will be able to pull this off despite working with the original translator of this series(SaHa), the frequent staff changes as well as not being the only project they have postponed, including the BL projects they have spent a lot of effort on(in the past). Just read the kickstarter comment threads for all their current projects...
Of course I hope they will pull this through before going under, being a backer myself.

Quote:
...also kodomo no jikan's teacher actually gives a damn about his students. sure he's no koro-sensei or negi springfield cause of his obvious lolicon complex, but at least he's not a bat shit serial killer like the teacher from ERASED!!!

Yes, wholly agree, that's the reason he's not included on this list. Smile
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Didn't Cardcaptor Sakura have three student-teacher relationships? I remember the main character's dad married their mom while he was her high school teacher. So now it's three times as gross!.

Yup.
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
with any luck, you won't have tutors as terrible as the ones on this list...

... Kaho Mizuki
... Akane Minagawa

Let's not kid ourselves here: any male student would very happy to have teachers like them!

This is a double standard I get really sick of. But that aside, while it's undeniable Minagawa Akane is attractive, her personality and the way she treats people leaves a lot to be desired.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
lebrel wrote:
That is a very common argument as seen on the internet, but in terms of actual biology it lies somewhere between "so oversimplified it's wrong" and "just plain wrong". Most internet-denizens who talk about evolutionary psychology are men's-rights / PUA types, and learning evo-psych from those guys is like learning paleontology from young-earth Creationists; all you'll get is misinformation. There are actual books by actual scientists out there if you want to know about it.

Actually they teach that in actual University courses that I paid for and attended classes on campus and everything. But this stuff isn't an exact science. All you can do is look at trends and suggest possible explanations.

Not sure what basis there is to claim anything cultural is behind it, though. As girls who get older "sugar daddies" and guys who get young "trophy wives" are socially looked down upon.

Well, I hope it was just throwaway talking points in classes that were actually about something else, or else you overpaid. If men were evolved to select women based on fertility, they'd avoid high school girls like the plague; even in modern societies where the only rate-limiting step is getting pregnant in the first place, 16 year olds are below peak fertility. In hunter-gatherer societies, where the rate-limiting step is keeping the kid alive until adulthood, teenagers are a complete wash; in many extant hunter-gatherer societies, a 16 year old girl has a good chance of not even having hit puberty yet. Across extant HG cultures, a woman's first child is born around age 20 and has a below-average chance of survival; the age at which women are most likely to give birth to children who survive is pretty consistently late 20's to early 30's. A guy who shacked up with a 16 year old would have to wait close to a decade for her to hit peak childbearing potential. For comparison, in chimpanzees, where societal disapproval of "trophy wives" and "sugar daddies" isn't a factor, males preferentially mate with older females.

There are plausible evolutionary reasons for human male preference for young women, but they have to do with exclusivity and control, not fertility. (Short version: the tradeoff for long investement in a relationship with a woman who is only marginally fertile is an increased probability that when she does start bearing surviving children, they will be yours. Because women aren't fully monogamous, and the probability that they have a guy or two on the side is quite high by the time they hit peak childbearing. Which is actually probably a factor in why survival rates increase as the mother gets older; the boyfriends help provide resources and social support.)
KML777

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Let's see, I'm reading both Land of the Lustrous and The Ancient Magus' Bride so I'm gonna watch those two. As for the third option, it'd be Infini-T Force because I'm a fan of both Gatchaman and Casshern, so any shows with them would be an automatic watch for me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
This is a double standard I get really sick of. But that aside, while it's undeniable Minagawa Akane is attractive, her personality and the way she treats people leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course this isn't going to always be the case, but mostly if a teenage boy manages to bed his hot teacher, he becomes the coolest kid in his group. It's something he'll brag about, not be ashamed of.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Of course this isn't going to always be the case, but mostly if a teenage boy manages to bed his hot teacher, he becomes the coolest kid in his group. It's something he'll brag about, not be ashamed of.

Teenage boys don't "bed their hot teachers." They're being raped by older women regardless of whether they believe it's consensual or not. That's what's it's called when a grown adult takes advantage of a teenager, aka minor, aka child. What you're perpetuating is a toxic double-standard that oversexualizes boys and gives adult women a pass at not being predators.

P.S. This vein of conversation is done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Oh good timing.

Quote:
Kimura (Azumanga Daioh) A self-proclaimed pervert, Mr. Kimura serves as a source of awkward comedic relief. His face is sunken and worn, presumably from a career of disappointment that he cannot legally shack up with his pupils.The cast is surprised to find out that Kimura is not a lonesome bachelor, but the husband of an attractive wife and father of an elementary-aged girl. What's most amazing about Kimura is that he still has a job at all. This guy isn't attempting to fool anyone about his motives for teaching high school.

In light if what you just said, please explain this. A good man, a good husband, a good father... even a good teacher. Yet you already have him written off as a... I have no idea what exactly. Sexual predator, right?

He likes looking at high school girls which is the meat of anime so I think he's something of an audience surrogate, a "I really don't have to have swimsuits shots but since I guess I do, here's the guy I imagine who likes looking at the things I draw!" moment. But until he does some of the these the previously mentioned female teachers have done... like going to a student's home at night and getting nude or masturbating in class while thinking of her students... judging him guilty of being a sexual predator is just your own bias, right?

Coming down hard on women is commendable, coming down harder on guys who do less isn't. Let's see... What you're perpetuating is a toxic double-standard that men are pigs and gives adult women a pass at not being predators.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Teenage boys don't "bed their hot teachers." They're being raped by older women regardless of whether they believe it's consensual or not. That's what's it's called when a grown adult takes advantage of a teenager, aka minor, aka child. What you're perpetuating is a toxic double-standard that oversexualizes boys and gives adult women a pass at not being predators.

Okay, I'll drop it but please let me ask one thing first. If a victim doesn't view themselves as such, who are we to force them to think that way? Isn't disregarding how they feel just as toxic?
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

Only thing good about that manga was the cute chubby teacher.

seven seas licensed it, but then canceled the manga cause it was basically softcore ecchi fanservice and it was causing a lot of controversy. but seriously. compared to other ecchi series like highschool dxd , trinity seven , triage x shinmai mao no testament and others like the uber loli fanservice anime series popotan, kodomo no jikan's lolicon fanservice is rather tame

also kodomo no jikan's teacher actually gives a damn about his students. sure he's no koro-sensei or negi springfield cause of his obvious lolicon complex, but at least he's not a bat shit serial killer like the teacher from ERASED!!!
what's loli about High School DxD those girls have HUMONGOUS boobs.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Judging him guilty of being a sexual predator is just your own bias, right?

Coming down hard on women is commendable, coming down harder on guys who do less isn't. Let's see... What you're perpetuating is a toxic double-standard that men are pigs and gives adult women a pass at not being predators.

No. Kimura is a sexual predator although again, he's used for comedy in the show. I don't think he's supposed to be an audience self-insert. He's presented as non-threatening because he looks ridiculous (facial expressions), is over the top, and has a silly bathing suit. But yes, his motivations for being a teacher if applied to reality are gross. Again, if we're weighing him against the examples in Card Captor Sakura, I'd say he isn't as bad, namely because the anime never tries to present his fascination with teen girls as healthy or okay.

Card Captor Sakura never presents either of the teachers as wrong, which I think I worse.

Also I'm not calling men pigs, I'm calling adults that pursue careers to feed their sexual attraction to minors pigs. I think you skipped a few steps, about where you took my criticism of a fictional character as a judgement on yourself.

To the other poster who I'm too lazy to quote: no it's not toxic to consider minors victims of sexual assault by adults regardless of whether they do or not. It's not toxic, teenagers are considered minors for a reason. I'm not in the mood to sign up with educating on a teen psychology lesson, that stuff is obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Man I am actually glad that they put Mr. Takeuchi from A Silent Voice as The Worst Teachers because seriously he didn't do crap as he just watched and let kids be kids, via bullying onto the other and only cared about his job. Why he be a teacher, if he doesn't set up a example, I mean his lack of empathy did do some good to the Protagonist as he grows, however he still comes off as uncaring and I hate him for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3