• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zootopia Wins Animated Feature Film Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Somewhat on topic. La La Land winning best picture, oh man...
peno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Nope, Moonlight won, after embarrassing mix-up, where Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway were mistakenly given Best Actress envelope and after Beatty was reluctant to read it, Probably knowing something's fishy, Dunaway actually read La La Land and caused all this. On the bright note, thanks to this, Moonlight creators literally got their awards from La La Land creators Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Having briefly surveyed the results of the annual Hollywood echo chamber, I suggest that the following is a more uplifting article headline for members of our forum:

Your Name As Successful In Oscars As Both Lion And Hell or High Water
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
TrowaAyanami wrote:
Ugh, I REALLY wanted Kubo to win that one.
Kubo was merely ok in the long run. It had great visuals of stop motion animation tacked on a story so predictable that it bored me... though your mileage may vary on the "OMG, you're that person!" plot aspect.

Zootopia on the other hand was cartoon noir. Or a buddy cop film. Or a talking animals pic. Or an essay on the concepts of stereotypes and the detriments of profiling. Or a comedy.

But mostly I just love it for Nick's character animation. Who knew 3D CGI animation could be subtle? Wait, after watching any DreamWorks project, who knew it could be subtle?
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
You know what? Your Name. should have been nominated (what the hell is My Life as a Zucchini?!)

... Rolling Eyes

My life as a Zucchini is a winner of several high prestige awards, including the main award of Annecy animation festival (the most important animation festival worldwide), and it had won the César Award for best animated film just a few days ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
Said it before, but Zootopia only won because of its political themes and the current political climate. That's it.
Proud2bPnoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Somewhat on topic. La La Land winning best picture, oh man...

Nah Oscars gave out the Steve Harvey thuglife effect surprise mofs Dunaway brought back the Miss Universe awkward moment. But hey man La2x Land was actually good.

I'm glad Zootopia won it deserves it and not moana.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
(what the hell is My Life as a Zucchini?!)

A perfectly valid nominee that was "only" in competition at Cannes. If you want people to respect your favorite media, you better start respecting others.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Said it before, but Zootopia only won because of its political themes and the current political climate. That's it.
Pretty sure it being a Disney/Pixar movies matters more. They save the political motivations for the big-boy categories like Best Picture.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Pretty sure it being a Disney/Pixar movies matters more. They save the political motivations for the big-boy categories like Best Picture.

Then why not Moana?

Kubo was the better film, but not being Disney and not being a rebuttal to well...Trump, meant its fate was sealed.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Then why not Moana?

Moana made less money and had much less hype behind it. And Zootopia is much better written, though Moana is more impressive on a technical level. But story is always what makes or breaks a movie, not visuals.
Kreion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Then why not Moana?

Kubo was the better film, but not being Disney and not being a rebuttal to well...Trump, meant its fate was sealed.

Kubo wasn't even the best film that Laika have made, as a movie it just didn't pull itself together very well. It had good elements propped up by stellar visuals but the ending was pretty weak no matter what way you look at it and as I said it felt less consistent than something like Paranorman or even Box Trolls(which I think is probably their weakest film).

As a film I can't agree that Kubo compared that favourably to Zootopia, it was just less consistent, less focused, seemingly unsure of its audience (seems to be aimed more at kids but a lot of the stuff in there just isn't really written with kids in mind) as a family movie I can't agree that it's as good as Zootopia. I mean, with that said I think Kubo is more interesting, but if I'm just judging it as a film then that's just one element to consider.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Zootopia for winning this prestigious award! Very well deserved! Sure, it won not only because it's Disney but also because its social subtext is pretty relevant in today's political climate and quite frankly, it is needed now more than ever.

As for the other films in this category, I really enjoyed Moana as it is visually spectacular but its story feels been there, done that and it isn't as interesting as Zootopia, Kubo is another very well done effort from Laika and I still haven't seen the other two films on that list.

Lastly, after seeing how much Your Name has gotten so much attention, I felt that film got snubbed and totally deserves to be nominated.
Vesemir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Well deserved, Zootopia was really good.

Your Name wasn't anything special imho, it was a visual spectacle as usual for Shinkai but hardly groundbreaking in other areas.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
For all the "Of course Disney/Pixar won" comments that are pretty much well-deserved, I do feel that Zootopia was at least the better movie this time around (full disclaimer that I haven't had a chance to see Zucchini yet). I thought Kubo was marvelously meticulous in its animation, but from a storytelling point of view, it stumbled really badly at the end. I feel like if that theme of spoiler[forgiveness] had been woven throughout the film rather than slapped on at the end, it wouldn't have felt like such an emotional 180 to me.

I also think that the way Zootopia was received (as generally not pandering nor alienating) was an important part of its success; if it had just preached to the choir or been some kind of glorified after-school special, it wouldn't have been nearly as popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5