• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truanimesfanxdd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since it's written by Mari Okada, an author known for melodramatic themes, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans relies on character drama and complex political themes more than your average Gundam show.

IBO having more complex political themes than other Gundam shows?
You can't be serious, you gotta be kidding me, right?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Not a horrible start, but like the first season the dialog and character acting gets on my nerves.

I have to strongly disagree with the reviewer on the music. I found it to be uninteresting on a standalone level and I never even notice it while I'm watching the show. Definitely not my favorite soundtrack.

I liked the little twitch McGillis had when the word friend was dropped. That was a nice touch.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
:< The article subtitle on the front page is a huge spoiler.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Not sure saying that it starts years after the first season is all that big a spoiler.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Not sure saying that it starts years after the first season is all that big a spoiler.

A spoiler nonetheless.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
So set 300 years after the calamity war would be a spoiler then?

Seriously, a narrative set up ≠ plot points.

Anyway copy pasting my thoughts from the series discussion tread

Quote:
pilot is way way better then the first season where it was really convoluted. as for the too much talking, i don't find any problem with it since it's a very organic dialogue and it makes S2 more easily approachable for newcomers to just watch ep 26 in medias res since it pretty much gives us a synopsis on S1 and their situation after the events in S1.

not to mention it fleshes out the characters their goals and the growth that they have gone through during the time skip.

and praises to the director and DOP for giving us a great ep with the minimal amount of actual animation with a tv series size budget.

finally awesome op can't wait to see how the op actually starts and what type of ed we'll get. only complain is the ending of the op, is that for shadowing or something?? seriously wtf please don't become 00 and literally make mika a gundam.

And although need to see a few more ep to confirm this but I'm calling S2 to be the season where makie, tekkadan and kudelia rise up the ranks and S3 would be the climax of all out war between Mars, economic blocks and the mob.

Oh and hush would betray the team some point in S2
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah Hush is obviously being setup as the traitor, it's a bit annoying at how naked it is, plus it's the start of the season yet there spending so much time on a character no one know or really care about. Crying or Very sad

I doubt there'll be a S3, no gundam show ever worked that way, they always come in sets of 2, maybe if it does extraordinarily well there's gonna be a sequel (so another set of 50) but I doubt it, from what I gather the number are respectable but nothing special, both in show air time and fungal sale.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to get to see the world premiere event for this at Anime Weekend Atlanta this past weekend and I really enjoyed it.

It did well setting up where our characters are now both with verbal and visual story-telling. As a big mecha nerd, it was especially fun seeing the final battle (if it was a bit short). The scene of spoiler[the Barbatos Lupus just dropping from the sky in a standing position like a bamf before home run-batting a mobile suit to death and revealing a good quality Gundam eye light-up sequence] pleased me immensely.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
truanimesfanxdd wrote:
Quote:
Since it's written by Mari Okada, an author known for melodramatic themes, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans relies on character drama and complex political themes more than your average Gundam show.

more complex than build fighters, I guess.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
truanimesfanxdd wrote:
Quote:

more complex than build fighters, I guess.

Most of them actually, maybe only behind zeta.

You have a lot of different party around.

You have the different economic spheres (5 if I recall correctly) which are all still compromised of various country. Then you have Gjallahorn which is technically beholden to the economic sphere but at the same time seems pretty independent, then within it you have the 7 families, which can probably be grouped into 3-4 internal factions, along with the different section, like earth defense fleet and outer sphere fleet.

Then there's also the various companies like turbine which is linked to one of the economic sphere, then you have Tekadan which is an off-shoot of that. Then there's mars itself which seems to have certain degree of autonomy at the moment. And I'm not quite sure how the space colony work, probably as country within an economic block. Along that you have various other organization and mercenary groups and pirates.

So yeah, pretty complex compared to almost all gundam series, like I said on top of my mind zeta seems to be the only one with similar level of complexity, and I'm not even sure that's the case (especially if you only compare the first half of Zeta to the first season of IBO). Wing, 00, SEED, turn A, Age and G certain didn't have that level of complexity, same for the original gundam (just counting the actual initial 50 episode). Reconquista maybe, but that's kinda of a cluster fudge.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
truanimesfanxdd wrote:
Quote:

more I don't think so but is it complex like any other Gundam anime ? yeah around the same levels as 00.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
after Arslan and Re: zero ended...

finally something to look forward to on Sundays again

maybe there are some other good shows coming out this fall
taurussieben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 am Reply with quote
I still get that: "At the end everybody will be dead"-vibe. Crying or Very sad

But seriously, I very much look forward to the second season, and #ep26 was good start. The timing for the end was really good. And Orga is staying true to his form. spoiler[Saying, that he can't run, when Mikazuki ist still fighting.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
money si onw the new masked guy still being mcgillis.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm betting on him being spoiler[the very much not dead Gaelio]. We'll see eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 47