• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Studio Bones President Masahiko Minami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
This interview just made me remember my one regret after Anime Expo. I desperately needed to request that Studio Bones work with CLAMP to produce an anime original second season for Angelic Layer. I'm sure they get tons of request for this already.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they really like making original stuff, while there are still tons of good manga/LN thats waiting for an anime adaptation or sequels really dunno why they like to risk with lame shows like concrete which even had 2seasons and we all saw how poorly it sold not even 1k in discs and as an original work you dont make any more money out of promoting the manga/LN then.
So yeah i simply dont get it, because i truly believe its better to make for example a 2nd season for an anime that sold 10k+ and had huge boost in manga or LN while risking some original work which in most case fails specialy such genre so they are basicly trowing money away....
Anyway lets see and wait what the names of thoose 3 original tittles will be and what genre, hopefully somethin good.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I've also noticed with other interviews with Minami that the interviewer continues to bring up the Fujoshi question despite Minami repeatedly not understanding the connotations of it. Sure Bungou Stray Dogs could be considered Fujoshi bait but I'd hesitate to call the others anything aimed at the Fujoshi market.

Even though I personally don't consider any show aimed at females a "fujoshi show" since fujoshi are boy love fans (so far No.6 is the only TRUE fujoshi show BONES has animated) I'm glad Minami answered that it's the marketing crew job to create gender themed merchendise not the animators or directors. They can't control our "ideas"; only give out hints. Wink BBB and Noragami are for anyone who enjoys supernatural action and memorable characters; those Klaus X Leo doujins or Yato hair scrunchies are less important than a highly entertaining series (which both need another season Anime cry).

Besides BONES has been one of the most broad audience animation studios rather than aim exclusively to otakus or cheap looking productions. It's rare for them to have a blatant targeted show. As Jacob mentioned they still go for both original and loose adaptations with their anime but clearly have a limited release every year rather than work on 5+ projects per season. I have to admire their commitment to the craft even if it won't mean high disk sales.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Bungo Stray Dogs is fuyoshi bait? I just thought it was shit.
wizard626

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Seems like they really like making original stuff, while there are still tons of good manga/LN thats waiting for an anime adaptation or sequels really dunno why they like to risk with lame shows like concrete which even had 2seasons and we all saw how poorly it sold not even 1k in discs and as an original work you dont make any more money out of promoting the manga/LN then.
So yeah i simply dont get it, because i truly believe its better to make for example a 2nd season for an anime that sold 10k+ and had huge boost in manga or LN while risking some original work which in most case fails specialy such genre so they are basicly trowing money away....
Anyway lets see and wait what the names of thoose 3 original tittles will be and what genre, hopefully somethin good.

A show not selling doesn't mean its lame and Concrete in particular is pretty solid. On the other end, a lot of terrible work gets picked up for adaptation (some of those fail, some don't). So why not try original work? If anything I'd faster question why a large part of anime audiences are so resistant to trying original work but hey its the same issue with Western comics and film/TV adaptations. Maybe its bad business trying to put fresh stories out into the world but I have to commend any studio/producer that's willing to go for it. At least consider that a lot of major and profitable works that probably meant a lot to Masahiko Minami/BONES were anime original -- Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Sword of the Stranger.

While adaptations can be profitable, due in large part to their already established audiences functioning as a free marketing team/hype train, studios don't actually profit in sales boost for the source material. Its great for the publisher and manga-ka/writer but for studio, I'd imagine having full ownership over the IP and merchandise is more desirable.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Great interview (both the questions and the answers)! I'm very excited about the three original projects.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Minami is overestimating the reach/pull of Cartoon Network/Toonami. An anime block that's been running on Saturday nights in the US, the "going out" night, for a decade and change is only going to have so much of an impact.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I usually prefer original works over adaptations. I mean all anime exist to make money, but anime adaptations are just fancy commercials for the original work. Commercials that usually don't make enough money on their own. Why contribute to that cycle when you can tell the stories you want to tell without the need to promote an original work? Not to mention that a lot of the light novels that get anime adaptations are pretty generic. I'd rather have an original story that's interesting and unique than another boring adaptation. Sure BONES does adaptations as well and more often than not they are fantastic. But the major benefit for original works is that they actually have conclusions. There isn't a need to wait for a second season that will never come, or having to stoop to illegal means to enjoy the source material, and as someone who likes the feeling of completion in my stories original works are a godsend.

I'm honestly surprised that there are people who would actually turn up their noses at original works.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Amen to that. The majority of what I'd consider the best anime series ever created were original works, and I'd take one original story over a dozen soulless adaptations any day of the week. (Hell, I'd go so far as to argue that making anime adaptations solely for the sake of selling more copies of the original work is pretty much the most regressive part of the modern anime industry.) I've been a fan of BONES for more than a decade largely because of that, and even when they do adaptations, they often add flair to them that just didn't exist in the original: even with its occasional narrative issues, I still find FMA 2003 substantially more engrossing than Brotherhood.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Please, let one of the original works be the DTB season 3 and spoiler[let it be an alternate route after the OVA's.]
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Really great interview!

I personally didn't really care for Concrete Revolutio (though I do at the very least respect it's desire to be different.) but I'm always looking forward to any anime original shows since that's really when a team of show runners and animators can really shine without having to worry too much about getting "X, Y or Z" right or Correct. Their My hero Academia adaption did pretty much everything it should, but I personally still prefer the manga overall and projects like this seasons Mob where the team and their handling of the material to make it THIS good is, to me at least, very rare. I can't say I'm in love with absolutely anything and everything Bones does but, I do like the studio overall and have a lot of respect for the things they seem to want out of TV anime (or at least the projects that they REALLY REALLY seem to care about.)

All that said I'm really interested in seeing how they handle future MHA seasons if their intent is to have each season have it's own flavor and be a trail to one up themselves from previous installments (which in the case of the season that recently finished I can't imagine that being too hard.) I'm enjoying Mob Psycho this season and look forward to those original projects they have coming down the line.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Quote:
There's fujoshi shows: Bungo Stray Dogs, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Noragami.

The whole idea of "fujoshi shows" aside (can we please finally move on from that idiotic "girls only watch anime for the hot guys and BL" idea?), how on earth are Blood Blockade Battlefront or Noragami "fujoshi shows"?! Has the interiewer even seen these?
Even he was surprised by the idea that BBB is a fujoshi show(I assume she uses that term since he would pick up on it instantly) since there is nothing really about it that in the show, unless you count the main cast being mostly male, which would a shallow way of viewing it.

Quote:
There's lots. There are three titles, original works, in production. But I can't say.
I do like their original works more than their adaptations, I still need to see some of them though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
wizard626 wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:

A show not selling doesn't mean its lame and Concrete in particular is pretty solid. On the other end, a lot of terrible work gets picked up for adaptation (some of those fail, some don't). So why not try original work? If anything I'd faster question why a large part of anime audiences are so resistant to trying original work but hey its the same issue with Western comics and film/TV adaptations. Maybe its bad business trying to put fresh stories out into the world but I have to commend any studio/producer that's willing to go for it. At least consider that a lot of major and profitable works that probably meant a lot to Masahiko Minami/BONES were anime original -- Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Sword of the Stranger.

While adaptations can be profitable, due in large part to their already established audiences functioning as a free marketing team/hype train, studios don't actually profit in sales boost for the source material. Its great for the publisher and manga-ka/writer but for studio, I'd imagine having full ownership over the IP and merchandise is more desirable.
Yes it would of would of been pretty bad if the show had not been completed, at least with a Manga/LN if it is not fully adapted, at least the story is completed in its original form. Ghost Slayers Ayashi got cut down from 52 episodes to 25, due to low ratings, and as a result was terrible, and everything I've read about it said it felt rushed.

It is very hypocritical that people complain about there apparently not being enough original and different shows out there, and studios need to take chances on unproven concepts. Yet when there is one and they don't like it, they claim the show shouldn't be made, and it was a waste of money taking a chance on it.
CES06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly speaking, I hoped that the audience would be a little bit more receptive.

Seriously?!? Is this man on twitter or something, because I need to tell him what an absolute pleasure it was to watch Space Dandy. It's one of the best things to happen in anime in this decade and definitely a classic.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
SHD wrote:
Quote:
There's fujoshi shows: Bungo Stray Dogs, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Noragami.

The whole idea of "fujoshi shows" aside (can we please finally move on from that idiotic "girls only watch anime for the hot guys and BL" idea?), how on earth are Blood Blockade Battlefront or Noragami "fujoshi shows"?! Has the interiewer even seen these?
Even he was surprised by the idea that BBB is a fujoshi show(I assume she uses that term since he would pick up on it instantly) since there is nothing really about it that in the show, unless you count the main cast being mostly male, which would a shallow way of viewing it.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people really want to reject the idea that a show they like might possibly be appealing to fujoshi. I don't know. It seems weird to me that so many people take issue with the term and question it every time someone brings it up. Like everyone has to separate themselves from it. Just because it appeals to fujoshi(and it does, you're kidding yourself if you don't think so), doesn't mean it can't have broader appeal outside of that. What's the harm in calling it a fujoshi show? I really don't get it. I like Bungou, I like BBB, I like a lot of shows with exceptionally hot guys. It doesn't bother me that a lot of the merchandise and fanwork for it is clearly for people who like hot guys, often hot guys doing each other. And I really think the term is more of a catch all for the fanbase that appreciates hot guys in general, not necessarily just yaoi. I realize a lot of people reject that definition, but the way that many in the industry, and most critics I follow, like Jacob, use it, it applies to hot guy shows, in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3