• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magvis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's really hard for me to reconcile "bigotry and prejudice can turn normal, productive members of society into mere cogs within an unjust machine" with "here's a sexy scene wherein a 16 year old girl gets a body cavity search." Pick a tone, Yoshiharu Ashino.

"Sexy scene"? Even if you're blind you can't miss that what's actually happening is a violent homosexual rape. Why doesn't the review mention this? Is it because everyone is trying so hard to be politically correct? Sounds like when the Nazi's came to power. "If we ignore their atrocities maybe they won't come after us."

Frankly I feel that people who create anime like this should have been smothered at birth, except that without this so called "creation" there wouldn't be a chance to discuss something this horrific.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
magvis wrote:
"Sexy scene"? Even if you're blind you can't miss that what's actually happening is a violent homosexual rape.

Whether or not I find the scene sexy (I don't, I find it horrific and unnecessary) is besides the point of whether the director intended the scene to be sexy. I'm not saying this isn't a problem.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
Emily Neves did sing the insert song, at least in episode 12. You're right in that it isn't really "dubbed" since it was sang in the original language. I actually wasn't sure when I first heard it. Only found out when she mentioned on Twitter that she sang in Cross Ange.

Interesting. I hadn't heard this, but in retrospect I did think it sounded a bit more like her voice on that one occasion. If that was her then I'll have to up my opinion of her performance a little bit, as it was a good enough singing job that it was hard to tell the difference.

Philmister978 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but was there no one else willing to review this show other than Theron? I mean no offense to him, but he already covered the show in the daily streaming, and given how controversial the series is, it would've been interesting to see a review by someone who would actually address that making it a "cavity exploration" does not make it any less "problematic" than if it were actual rape. I like reading different points of view, especially when it comes to such divisive series, to me that's more interesting than reading the same person about the same series repeatedly

I can only assume it was because he did the daily streams that he was chosen.

This was a volunteer job. While I'm not crazy about doing full reviews on things that I've done streaming reviews for, I'll make exceptions in cases where I still have a lot to say after taking a more summative look at the title (this case, as you could probably tell by the length of the review) or I really want to help promote the title (Yuki Yuna is a Hero).

mangamuscle wrote:
IMO Cross Ange director played us like a fiddle, he made some controversy that gave him some headlines (which is important nowadays in a cluttered environment of new titles) which in the end did not affect the story he wanted to tell.

I don't disagree with this, as I have often thought that the series was deliberately trying to be provocative. However, the included interview does strongly suggest that there was an overall scheme to it, too.

Izanagi009 wrote:
First, the elephant in the room, the first episode scene. The fact that it's shot like a prison exploitation movie speaks somewhat negatively to the director's intension for the show. In my personal view, most violent media that explore persecution of a group well do so in a way that's more bloody and grim than sensationalist. Cross Ange, to me, crosses a line from grim and sobering to attempting to make the audience feel aroused by the actions due to the camera. The camera during the scene focused on the breasts and butt rather than the faces of the victims and perpetrators or whole body shots. This focus seems off to me if the show was trying to be serious though this may be a case of trying to have a cake and eat it at the same time.

I have seen this kind of complaint many times, so I did specifically look for that when I rewatched that scene. While I can see where the complaints are coming from, I still don't personally find that scene titillating - and I definitely can't say that about many other scenes in the first half. (Consensual lesbian sex = yay!) My eye was only on the aspects you're talking about when I forced myself to look at it that way, as I am normally more invested in the story and characterization implications of what was going on: how she was being symbolically stripped of everything, how it was an ultimate indignity intended to break down who she was and make her realize that she wasn't on top of the proverbial food chain anymore, and so forth. Now, the fact that an especially edgy way was chosen to do it is certainly something that is fair to complain about, which is why I used terms like "crass" and "potentially objectionable" in the review and don't just dismiss those complaints out of hand, as some defenders of the series do. However, that doesn't mean that I agree with those complaints.

And kinda on this subject, one point I forgot to bring up in the review is that this series is unusual among fan service series in that nearly every scene in it which could be classified as fan service (yes, even the scene where Ange is walking around in the torn uniform) also has another distinct purpose. There's almost no prurient content in the first half of the series that is 100% gratuitous.

EDIT:
magvis wrote:
Frankly I feel that people who create anime like this should have been smothered at birth, except that without this so called "creation" there wouldn't be a chance to discuss something this horrific.

Really, let's not go there, as that is just inviting virulent reactions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Izanagi009 wrote:
First, the elephant in the room, the first episode scene. The fact that it's shot like a prison exploitation movie speaks somewhat negatively to the director's intension for the show. In my personal view, most violent media that explore persecution of a group well do so in a way that's more bloody and grim than sensationalist. Cross Ange, to me, crosses a line from grim and sobering to attempting to make the audience feel aroused by the actions due to the camera. The camera during the scene focused on the breasts and butt rather than the faces of the victims and perpetrators or whole body shots. This focus seems off to me if the show was trying to be serious though this may be a case of trying to have a cake and eat it at the same time.

I have seen this kind of complaint many times, so I did specifically look for that when I rewatched that scene. While I can see where the complaints are coming from, I still don't personally find that scene titillating - and I definitely can't say that about many other scenes in the first half. (Consensual lesbian sex = yay!) My eye was only on the aspects you're talking about when I forced myself to look at it that way, as I am normally more invested in the story and characterization implications of what was going on: how she was being symbolically stripped of everything, how it was an ultimate indignity intended to break down who she was and make her realize that she wasn't on top of the proverbial food chain anymore, and so forth. Now, the fact that an especially edgy way was chosen to do it is certainly something that is fair to complain about, which is why I used terms like "crass" and "potentially objectionable" in the review and don't just dismiss those complaints out of hand, as some defenders of the series do. However, that doesn't mean that I agree with those complaints.

And kinda on this subject, one point I forgot to bring up in the review is that this series is unusual among fan service series in that nearly every scene in it which could be classified as fan service (yes, even the scene where Ange is walking around in the torn uniform) also has another distinct purpose. There's almost no prurient content in the first half of the series that is 100% gratuitous.

While I do understand that the story implications are as you say, I find that there are probably better ways of indicating that and the fact that they presented the scene in such a way makes me question the directors intent.

Regardless, I do kind of see where you are coming from with the fanservice but the stuff with Tusk seems off to me especially in the second half.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Regardless, I do kind of see where you are coming from with the fanservice but the stuff with Tusk seems off to me especially in the second half.

Oh, the stuff with Tusk in this half is mostly just a bad running joke. I know what you're talking about concerning the second half, though, and rest assured that will be brought up when I (probably) do the second half review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Theron in the review wrote:
The series' most infamous scene, one at the end of episode 1 which created a firestorm of controversy when the series debuted, appeared to show Ange being forcibly violated but has (mercifully) been clarified in both the subtitles and English dub from Sentai Filmworks to have been a less-than-gentle body cavity search.

@magvis The review doesn't mention it? Both the scene in question and the reading of the scene as rape are as above in the review. No, he does not say "but it was totally 100% rape and it is impossible for it to be otherwise" but he is under no obligation to parrot your beliefs (Who is being politically correct?). It does really really look like rape, but as said in the review it was clarified that it was a body cavity search. That doesn't make it ok that it happened to her. Doesn't make the scene unobjectionable either.

Well at least you proved Godwin's law correct. So congrats or something.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Interesting. I hadn't heard this, but in retrospect I did think it sounded a bit more like her voice on that one occasion. If that was her then I'll have to up my opinion of her performance a little bit, as it was a good enough singing job that it was hard to tell the difference.

I actually like her more subdued performance, but I can see how she doesn't sound as tough as her character should be. As for the singing, she did compete in American Idol so there's that... Anyway, here you go! I decided to rip and mix it.
Cross Ange - Episode 12 - Towagatari ~Hikari no Uta~ (English track - left channel, Japanese track - right channel)
Best to listen using headphones of course.
Bonus: Brittney Karbowski's "humming." lol.

As for the Tweets I read:
Emily Neves wrote:
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
Was this show considered controversial in Japan or is it just ANN/ the US? I don't really see the outrage towards it in many other places
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Further explained by Mitsuo Fukuda on Twitter:

spoiler["How did Tusk and Momoka survive?…Of course during the scenario meeting we came up with multiple ideas, but ultimately, if we write it it wouldn't be interesting at all, so we just put it all in the episode preview. Tusk used the Body Replacement Technique (Kawarimi no Jutsu) and an anti-explosive cloak using a fire jutsu (Katon no Jutsu). Momoka used a frying pan and mana to slow her fall.

"Tusk knew where Ange's destination was, so he rendezvoused with Momoka who was stuck in a tree. And they came back to the island on a fishing boat…the end. The director said 'Eh? Is this really ok?', and did oppose this idea, but Higuchi-san, the producers, and I agreed on this development.

"The highlight of this episode is Ange's change of awareness and determination. We've been watching her change since episode one. So Tusk being alive is very important and how he managed to survive is not. There is no drama in that."]

So they hand-waved it, and the only place it ever got addressed, in-show, was in a light-hearted tone in the preview segment? I saw the show as it streamed, and I found it odd that it was never mentioned in the episodes; that method of narrative seems like a big gamble Confused Confused
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Was this show considered controversial in Japan or is it just ANN/ the US? I don't really see the outrage towards it in many other places

For what i read about Japanese Twitter comments, the show was well received.
There are talks of a sequel.
If the Japanese like it, then Mission accomplished.
Some Japanese twitter comments:

Quote:
-This super-speed tempo reminds me of Valvrave + ecchi elements, which are nice.

-Princess got beat down and crawls up high. The fact that there are only girls is a grasp of good will, lol.

-Is there any meanings in body check at the last of ep1? Well, I enjoyed it tho. Is this anime yuri?

-Character designs looks so old...

-Wow, it’s original anime (no original manga nor light novel) but this thread got 800 comments, mnn? hun? OMG this is the 5th thread??

-Isn’t this anime great, actually?

-Lesbian element and grotesque element catches your eyes first but in fact story is well-made. Yuri-element is just an attachment.

-I cannot wait to see how funny Rosalie ends up her living.

-nnn?? Seems everyone’s enjoying this anime

-Viewed till Ep3. First time to see such an annoying protagonist like in this anime, lol. Funny. Gonna see till the last episode.

-Princess has had a sheltered upbringing so her humanity is bad. That’s why she was drawn to be hated by characters around her and audience.

-Denied completely, gave up everything and…. adhesion to life aroused. Finally, “Human” Ange got born.

-If she’s a normal protagonist, it’ll be like “I will fight for people died for us!” but in this anime, she is like “I just fight not to die.” It’s unique.

-spoiler[Two more dead girls…] I don’t get surprised whoever dies from now.

-Ange’s disgusting and I like it. I guess the story ends up with “People who can NOT use mana are normal and people who can are like monsters.”

-spoiler[Hilda cannot stay away from Zola... Vivian can appreciate Ange as one human…] I am now able to see characteristics of each girl and it’s interesting.

-Getting bullied by her team mates but she never cares. It’s amazing to see how mentally-strong you are!!

-This story line is so laughable, lol.

-I think we should enjoy this anime as a comedy anime which is coated by seriousness, lol.

-I often see some Gundam things in this anime.

I wasn't able to find more about the controversy so i suppose it wasn't a big deal in Japan, there they here used to it.

Only in English speaking sites i see the big hate of this anime, but in some English anime sites this also was praised as a different and refreshing mecha anime with a great story.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Salty fanboys mailed razors and death threats to Salia's VA, but that's the only negative that I've heard from Japanese viewers.
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Guile wrote:

Salty fanboys mailed razors and death threats to Salia's VA, but that's the only negative that I've heard from Japanese viewers.

That was from a fake interview IIRC. Salia's VA has received abuse in the past, but it was for something different that she wasn't even a part of (the pranking and humilation of a seiyuu, forgot his name).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

The US has problems with SEX and the word Rape. If you happen to look at a sexy woman and make an appreciation it's almost considered rape for US standards. You can't have sex with a woman unless she has signed a contract telling you it's ok to go. Otherwise rape rape rape. For pete's sake, the US is the only advanced country where showing a bare woman's breast on tv can cause a constitutional meltdown. That tells you all you really need to know. Laughing

Cross Ange is a normal "not for children" anime. Only american anime websites made a mountain out of a molehill out of a single scene. Would you show that scene to a child ? No, but then CA is not directed towards family friendly Miyazaki audiences. Cavity search is not rape. It isn't in the real world (when it happens even outside of prison. Look at the powers of the US Customs and Border Protection Agency) and it isn't in anime. A shocking scene it was, a glorification of lesbian forced sex it was not.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
You can't have sex with a woman unless she has signed a contract telling you it's ok to go.

That's why I always have a notary on speed dial, just in case. Also, the first thing I do when I meet somebody is ask him if he has a pen; I don't allow anybody to sign my sex contracts in crayon or pencil.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's enough "rape prevention laws should be less stringent in the US chat" in here, period.

Gross.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6