• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Release Bleach Anime on Blu-ray Disc Starting This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Might vaguely be worth double-dipping in the distant future so long as they split the sets off at the end of the Soul Society Arc. I tend to sleep better imagining the show ended at episode 63.
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I've been recently reading and getting into Bleach, but I didn't want to spend the money on single DVD sets, so I'm really glad it's getting a BD release. I'll definitely be looking forward to this.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they get the aspect ratio issue sorted out with these. Second and maybe final chance.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
27 episodes is not enough per set to justify me buying bleach on bluray . It would take 13.5 box sets if they do 27 episodes per set. Plus you will have 2 sets of nothing but the bount arc in the early going, which everyone knows sucks. They should be doing this with Naruto Shippudden first in my opinion, but what do I know. I thought Death Note looked decent on bluray but I just dont see Bleach looking that good to be honest with how it was original made. I just think Viz Media could do this release better.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
27 episodes is not enough per set to justify me buying bleach on bluray .

But the price is still hovering around $1.50 an episode, so what difference would the episode count per set make minus some minor adjustments in shelf space?
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Might vaguely be worth double-dipping in the distant future so long as they split the sets off at the end of the Soul Society Arc. I tend to sleep better imagining the show ended at episode 63.
so you wanted a cliffhanger? I'm sorry but I enjoyed the Arroncar stuff, how ever I will agree that the Fullbring arc was trash (all is forgiven because 1000 year blood war)
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
And still no word of a sequel series...
some would argue that it won't happen because Bleach isn't popular in Japan anymore (of course that's not entirely true because other wise we wouldn't have the IOS game or the recent reprise of the musical) but hey I guess it's possible if we take Gintama and Fairy tail into account

Last edited by theNightster on Sat May 21, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Just recently re-watched / skimmed through the soul society arc, so I won't be picking this up any time soon, if at all. If the reviews come out positive over the DVD version, I might pick it up down the line. It would have been nice to have a higher episode count though to save space.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
This probably doesn't mean anything, but, there is a six-year difference between the releases of:

Fullmetal Alchemist and FMAB
Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not!
InuYasha and InuYasha The FInal Act

And then you have D.Gray-man, which has its new series coming nearly a decade after its debut, and 8 years after it went off the air. BLEACH has been gone for four years. Math doesn't lie.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
This probably doesn't mean anything, but, there is a six-year difference between the releases of:

Fullmetal Alchemist and FMAB
Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not!
InuYasha and InuYasha The FInal Act

And then you have D.Gray-man, which has its new series coming nearly a decade after its debut, and 8 years after it went off the air. BLEACH has been gone for four years. Math doesn't lie.
InuYasha and D-gray.man are the only ones comparable to this though as those are actual continuations, Brotherhood was a Reboot for FMA anime and Soul Eater Not was nothing more then a Spin off
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I could see myself picking up the first few sets up to episode 63 once I hear how good an upscale it is. While I was massively disappointed in the quality of the series beyond that point, episodes 1-63 are really solid stuff IMHO.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
DBZ was cell animation, so reshooting it at 1080p will result in better, if grainy results.

Bleach was done digitally at standard def 4:3 for 90% of the show I believe. So this will just be a straight up crappy upscale. Then again some of the early DVDs were really poorly mastered so I might think about double dipping, but not keeping my hopes up.
Bleach switched to 16:9 in April 2008 (around the same time as other long-runners like One Piece, Naruto Shippuuden, and Detective Conan) as of ep 168, and had some ostensibly HD broadcasts starting at that point. Of course, I'm more inclined to believe that those broadcasts were station upscales of SD 16:9 content, rather than being truly HD. Either way, it was only 4:3 for ~46% of the show, though I do agree with the prediction that most of the BD releases are likely to be crappy upscales.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon May 23, 2016 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
DBZ was cell animation, so reshooting it at 1080p will result in better, if grainy results.

Bleach was done digitally at standard def 4:3 for 90% of the show I believe. So this will just be a straight up crappy upscale. Then again some of the early DVDs were really poorly mastered so I might think about double dipping, but not keeping my hopes up.
Bleach switched to 16:9 in April 2008 (around the same time as other long-runners like One Piece, Naruto Shippuuden, and Detective Conan) as of ep 168, and had some ostensibly HD broadcasts starting at that point. Of course, I'm more inclined to believe that those broadcasts were station upscales of SD 16:9 content, rather than being truly HD. Either way, it was only 4:3 for ~46% of the show, though I do agree with the prediction that most of the BD releases are likely to be crappy upscales.

You are wrong about one piece because it switched to 16:9 in 2004 episode 207
nomyx

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
They're really trying to milk every last penny out of this. It's not like the animation was good enough for a blu ray release to add anything, especially in the early episodes. I don't think those were even in HD.

well, at least the animation is still a lot better compared to Fairy Tail's. When i saw fairy tail getting blu ray treatment, i thought to myself: "what a waste of money..."
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Plus you will have 2 sets of nothing but the bount arc in the early going, which everyone knows sucks.

To be entirely fair, the Bount arc was far from the worst filler Bleach has done. Viz would have to pay me to watch the Reigai arc again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4