• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Did Westerners Always Call It Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh...I'm pretty sure Anime is not bigger in Germany than it is in the US. I have talked about this: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3037406
I and have mailed about making a topic about the described divide.

But is fair to say that the history of anime is way way bigger in mainland Europe than UK/US.

France, Italy and Spain imported everything that was big on daytime TV in Japan at the time. All the Shounen, Shoujo, Family Friendly and whatever else variety. Cowboy Bebop, aired 2 years in MTV Italy before it did in the US. Not only that, many co-productions were made with Italy, Spain and France.

Germany could have been part of this party, but chose not to in the end. Speed Racer is a cult classic in the US, but Germany critized it. Even the Star Blazer equavilent, as I would call it, Captain Future came under critisism. Only the child friendly World Masterpiece Theatre titles came over here, which is sort of a predesseor to Ghibli (which of course made Ghibli a success in Germany). And also the child friendly co-production Maya the Bee and Wicky the Vikings.

Anime only then got popular about the same time as it did the US: 1999...with the same Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Sailor Moon frenzy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
All these words and you only had to link to that old Anime News Nina

animenewsnetwork.com/anime-news-nina/2011-07-13

JAPANIMATOONS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I definitely remember encountering "Japanimation" first. I also remember Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime block in the mid 90s.

I can't really remember the first time I heard "Japanime," but that was definitely in the mix, too.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

CandisWhite wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
plus the accent the "e" at the end of "dessin animé" changes the pronunciation of that vowel so it's more like"ann-ee-me" whereas anime as the Japanese use it is more "ann-ee-meh." were it "ann-ee-me" they'd likely go with a ミ (mi) instead of a メ(me).

Not quite. The accent aigu on animé means that the E is pronounced as ay. Think of the word fiancée which is pronounced Fee-awn-say.

I started watching a YouTube video about common mispronunciation in games the other say. I turned off when he explained that Pokémon is pronouced "Pō-kay-mon" because that's how Beyoncé is pronounced.

Animé is an actual French word. It is the past participle of animer, or 'to animate'. Dessin means 'drawing' so dessin animé literally means 'animated drawing'.

It just happens to be like the Japanese word 'anime', which technically isn't spelt 'a-n-i-m-e' in Japanese anyway.

Which is why I wouldn't get too fussed about an accent aigu helping people out with the pronunciation of Pokemon.

I mean, would you know how to pronounce Swahili? (If you would, first of all, wow, and second, good for you!)
Freelance_Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
"Japanime" is only used sporadically by normies who know the terms "anime" and "Japanimation," but are afraid using the former would make them sound "nerdy" but at the same time they have a sense that the latter is vaguely pejorative/racist. They hedge their bets--especially when addressing fans--by melding the two, typically kind of softening and raising the pitch at the end to sound like a questioning, apologetic tone that would seem to imply plausible deniability in the event the person they think is a fan is actually a detractor, like so:

Normie: "So, like, my little brother is sorta into, like...Dragon Ball or whatever...you know...ja...pa...ni...me...?"

Addressee: "'Japaneseanime'???? You sound like one-a those NERDS! We call it 'Japanese-animayshun' 'round these parts!"

Normie: "Oh yeah, that's what I meant! See?!? I didn't even know what it was called!!!"

EDIT: Comedically golden vignette spoiled by algorithmically-enforced politically correctness. Whatevs.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
although I do remember altavistaing some of the names in University[...].

Ah, yes, I remember the Alta Vista search engine..... How did we ever muddle through our ignorance prior to Google? By harassing reference librarians; that was how!
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked the term "Japanimation" back in the day, I thought it was a good mash-up of "Japan" and "Animation" and only during the typing of this post did it even occur to me that anyone would be pronouncing it as the much more racially insensitive "J a p(oh, I didn't even know you couldnt even use those letters next to each other here)-animation." Assuming that's where the objections mentioned in the article stemmed from. Guess I'm just slow on the uptake.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
although I do remember altavistaing some of the names in University[...].

Ah, yes, I remember the Alta Vista search engine..... How did we ever muddle through our ignorance prior to Google? By harassing reference librarians; that was how!

Hahaha Pre-Google search engines are the best. The one I remember the best was Go.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Lycos stands out to me because they did a monthly article about the top 10 most-searched terms. At one point, "Dragon Ball Z" came up 6th, and I could tell the article writer struggled so much trying to figure out what DBZ was about. If I recall correctly, they didn't even bother to identify it as an anime, but called it an animated TV show.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
I love the casual racism in the linked Anime News Nina. +1 There was German "news" show that called Optimus Prime - Optimus "Primus". I will never forget that for some reason.

The Dragon Ball manga came to France in 1993, to Germany in 1997 and to the US in 2000 (in regular intervals in 2002 according to wiki). We got One Piece/Naruto in 2001 and the US got them in 2003 to close off the 3 biggest manga of all time.
Today´s big action manga may outsell US comics in America with a landslide but you guys have your own comic industry too keep you and Hollywood going too. Superman is the bestselling comic of all time after all and EU creations as Asterix/Tintin are big here too but they can barely compare so we ultimately gave in and build our comic culture around imports and emulation. The 2nd biggest geek convention is lastly our gamescom which isn´t about comics but Comiket´s focus is now impossible to name too. Italy is No. 3 with Lucca Comics & Games. The NYC (no.5) is a joke compared to those and it has nothing to do with comics either these days. Sigh. I'm Just Saiyan that the world is larger than America.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon, Better to call that animated TV series since that is exactly what it is.

@residentgrigo, well, I grew up on Tintin and Asterix, which were bigger influences on my childhood than American comic book characters. I had the impression that in the US anime is relatively more popular than manga while the inverse might apply to other countries, partly explaining why manga sales in Europe are larger than in the US.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Sigh. I'm Just Saiyan that the world is larger than America.

I'm not sure what to say about the comparison on the basis of anime, but for MANGA, I would TOTALLY believe that Germany is a stronger market than the US. I would think that if ONLY because I TokyoPop never went away in Germany and (as a fan of certain titles) I know certain titles got FULL releases in Germany that were orphaned in the US.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
That was the label that stuck with it for years here in the UK, thanks no less the "Manga Entertainment UK" a company that had and still has never sold a page of manga in it history.

The first two X-Files graphic novels, Firebird and Project Aquarius were published by Manga in the UK, before X-Files switched to Titan.

That might be as close as they got to actually publishing manga.
Didn't know about those, still it wasn't their core output though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, an animated TV show is exactly what Dragon Ball Z is. It was kind of funny that they were confusing the title with the Dragon Balls themselves though--while the Dragon Balls were certainly a big part of the series, and most of the villains wanted them, the series didn't revolve entirely around them.

residentgrigo wrote:
Today´s big action manga may outsell US comics in America with a landslide but you guys have your own comic industry too keep you and Hollywood going too. Superman is the bestselling comic of all time after all and EU creations as Asterix/Tintin are big here too but they can barely compare so we ultimately gave in and build our comic culture around imports and emulation. The 2nd biggest geek convention is lastly our gamescom which isn´t about comics but Comiket´s focus is now impossible to name too. Italy is No. 3 with Lucca Comics & Games. The NYC (no.5) is a joke compared to those and it has nothing to do with comics either these days. Sigh. I'm Just Saiyan that the world is larger than America.

Regarding Europe, when you're in Scandinavia, nothing compares to the DuckTales comics. Nothing. Major events in those comics are common knowledge there, especially in Norway and Finland. If you sell literature of any kind there, you'd be a fool for not selling DuckTales too. Politicians will make references to those comics and expect their entire audience to understand it. (And I don't mean general stuff that you can hear from other people, but specific plot points, quotes, and other detailed information you can only get by reading them.)

Not even One Piece in Japan gets common-knowledge status in society.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I came back to mention the Tokyopop Germany fact yet it was already dropped. Nice.
Germany is for example the main reasons why the US Simpsons comics exist. Berserk also came 2 years earlier to Germany than the US and it never went out of print unlike in the US. We changed formats though and manga are kind of cheap here. Have a look at www.amazon.de

My library is also bursting with Disney (our main branch has more than 100 TPBs) yet i still have a point as we grabbed what comic culture we could get from all around the world and clung to it. One Piece will also never make more money than Superman or Batman. They were used as WW2 propaganda among other things after all the S is one of the most recognized symbols on this planet.

The US gets more films/shows of any kind than any country as it is the world capital of films but i find it hard to say which countries make the most money with legit anime releases.
TV ratings make no sense too me and neither does the disc market.
The kids in my library further pirate anime like there is no tomorrow. I am talking about grade school kids who read subtitles! There may be hope for the future yet.
I also constantly hear random people talking about this weeks episode of Naruto or DBS as if it was an HBO show on the bus/train. Anime/Manga were even kind of cool when i finished up school in the 2nd half of the 00s yet i constantly got grief when i wore Superhero shirts till the end. I wonder if the tables turned?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6