• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Has Over 5 Million Registered Accounts Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
WoW active accounts also include abandoned accounts in China , where you buy minutes of playtime instead of a monthly subscription.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:

WoW active accounts also include abandoned accounts in China , where you buy minutes of playtime instead of a monthly subscription.

It has to be reactived, specifically:

• Edit: I believe this number includes WoW Token subscribers. They do not explicitly use the word "Token" but I think it would fall within prepaid card subscribers as defined in the Rerpot:

Subscriber Definition: World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

• This is the first quarter where the WoW Token will have been in full effect. I will be eagerly awaiting an announcement on how this affected overall subscriptions. A key thing to remember, the WoW Token is not responsible for any new subscriptions because there is no way to start a subscription through the WoW Token service (i.e., you must first have a subscription set up). Innactive, dormant subscribers can reactivate through the WoW Token, but must have enough gold in hand to do so. In other words, there will be no first time, brand new subscriptions because of the WoW Token. At the very least, innactive subscribers will come back and use the WoW Token. I am really hoping the Earnings Report releases how many innactive subscribers came back because of the WoW Token.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

That reminds me. FFXIV doesn't count people who've bought the game and only used their first 30 days as having ever been subscribed. You're only a subscriber when you've paid the monthly fee at least once. A lot of bots just use the 14 day free trial or the 30 days that come with buying a license and are banned before they can sub.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I alpha and beta tested 1.0 and beta tested 2.0. I played a lot of both, but in the end I didn't have friends in the game and my brother stopped playing as soon as he hit 50 so I hadn't touched the game in nearly a year. This past July my brother and I both picked up our old characters and started playing again to see what had changed in our time away. But when Geek & Sundry started playing weekly on Twitch (hosted by voice actor Orion Acaba and Jessica Marzipan of Heroes of Cosplay) we started new characters on the Sargatanas server and joined the Crowd Control G&S free company and the game has been a blast! I'm actually excited to play again and look forward to my next sessions. Being in a free company with a house really changes the game experience.

Sobe wrote:
The fact that it's more obtrusive in FFXIV just burned me out beside the leveling and the fact that the movements of the characters and mobs reminded me of a cheap/free MMORPG. It was too robotic and static.

That's one of the casualties from 1.0, the original game had some amazing movement animations. You didn't run and stop to a stand still like you do now, you took a few extra steps before you stopped. In 1.0 you couldn't move and attack like you can now so SE might have found the extra animations unnecessary or redundant, but I think they added an extra layer of immersion to the game. Other animations were changed too of course, it's one of the very few places where 2.0 didn't improve over 1.0.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it could get annoying, from a gameplay perspective, if your character took a few extra steps after letting go of the directional input. That being said, I was raised on platforming games, where control for your character's movement has to be as precise as possible (with exceptions, like Sonic, but for those, there's the balanced-on-an-edge thing that keeps them from walking right off a ledge). I imagine for something like this, split-second timing with when you stop moving is not nearly as important.

enurtsol wrote:
Amiantos wrote:

During the 14 hour stream they stated it was around about a million active subs. Which is higher than last year so it is growing still.

Definitely an improvement. At the start of the year, the publisher confirmed its numbers in its end-of-year report pulling in just under one million paying subscribers in total, across three of its MMO offerings: Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy 11, and Dragon Quest 10.

That sounds like a major source of revenue for Squaresoft. They'd be pretty financially stable with these. Heck, they could use that money to fund more risky projects.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Is having an account with a F2P technically considered a sub?
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
Taking a few steps after you take your finger off the button is a horrible mechanic that I'm glad they don't have in mmos, where you have to dodge and manoeuvre into the right position so you don't get 1 shotted.

My biggest gripe with Witcher and GTA is that animation, i get that it's meant to be realistic but to me it just makes it feel like you have less control of your character.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sounds like it could get annoying, from a gameplay perspective, if your character took a few extra steps after letting go of the directional input. That being said, I was raised on platforming games, where control for your character's movement has to be as precise as possible (with exceptions, like Sonic, but for those, there's the balanced-on-an-edge thing that keeps them from walking right off a ledge). I imagine for something like this, split-second timing with when you stop moving is not nearly as important.

It could be annoying, but the idea came from action games with similar movements so you could get used to it pretty quickly. Plus we're only talking about a couple steps. Another animation I miss is when you turned your character would lean into it rather than always standing upright like they do now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stealth00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
They keep removing the community aspect and people keep leaving. Wow basically moved from playing with friends (rl or in-game) to playing with random people you will never see again who might as well be bots.

What really made WoW pull players in from all their competitors was that they managed to keep the community aspect from previous MMORPGs while at the same time making the game accessible for players with a more casual play schedule.

I feel like I need to point out to you that even as WoW "dies" it still has more players than any of its competitors ever had. Is its decline due to LFR as you've so assuredly stated? Maybe. But there are many other factors involved, like the dilution of the market with dozens of F2P MMOs, the rise of MOBA, mobile games, boredom with an aging game, and players moving on from the hard core raiding and/or gaming phase of their lives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2