• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Anime Season 1 Listed on U.S. DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hope there's some sort of snazzy special edition a la the Sailor Moon releases. I'd be all over that like hair to Jotaro's hat.
unleashrage

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see it coming west but no BD is disappointing. I'm glad I imported the JP BD releases.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
KH91 wrote:
As long as it has the japanese voices in it with subs, everything will be okay. Oh yeah, and no name changes.

Yeah, no. I hope Snakebit1995's post sunk in by the way because everything he said is correct. Japan can get away with shouting out Vanilla Ice's name like it's a special attack going out of fashion, but you can't do that here in fictional media without serious implications (even though, for the record, everyone stopped giving a crap about Vanilla Ice a very long time ago).

And lol at you saying "everything will be okay because Japanese voices".

I know the situation, hence purposely mentioning after I edited my post. lol People like dual-audio for some reason.
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Already own the JP blu-rays but more Jojo is good news.
Hopefully this will mean that Stardust Crusader might see an eventual release (particularly on blu-ray as the JP blu-rays do not have English subtitles like the first two parts as far as I know).
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
If there's no dub, I'm just going to have to wait longer for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
So they're bypassing the middle-men
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
HitenMitsurugiRyu_Himura wrote:
Who in god's name still buys DVDs anymore?!
Are you kidding me people like you are the reason this industry is going to HELL !!!
What are you even doing on a website like this most people that comment here are real fans and even if you don't by anything you still don't have to say it that way that's what really get's me mad.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:13 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
KH91 wrote:
As long as it has the japanese voices in it with subs, everything will be okay. Oh yeah, and no name changes.

Yeah, no. I hope Snakebit1995's post sunk in by the way because everything he said is correct. Japan can get away with shouting out Vanilla Ice's name like it's a special attack going out of fashion, but you can't do that here in fictional media without serious implications (even though, for the record, everyone stopped giving a crap about Vanilla Ice a very long time ago).

And lol at you saying "everything will be okay because Japanese voices".

A character can scream, "Vanilla Ice" without having to pay Vanilla Ice. They couldn't use his lyrics or his songs but if screaming a song title or an artist name is as bad as it gets, they can totally do that.

Shows like Big Bang Theory never would have gotten off the ground if it was illegal to say the name of another IP without getting permission or paying first.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
I wonder if WB will give it a dub, it could be sub only and then dub BD if it sells well. I hope a UK release follows.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Are you kidding me people like you are the reason this industry is going to HELL !!!
What are you even doing on a website like this most people that comment here are real fans and even if you don't by anything you still don't have to say it that way that's what really get's me mad.

I think they really meant they would rather have Blu-ray discs.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:01 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder if WB will give it a dub, it could be sub only and then dub BD if it sells well. I hope a UK release follows.

Like I said earlier, there's going to be a screening of JJBA at Anime Central in Rosemont next week; Warner Bros. will be there along with Crunchyroll and Richard Epcar
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote

People. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope Warner can handle it, but I have a feeling they won't be able to, 'cus they don't know shit about selling anime which isn't based off their own IPs.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
lol People like dual-audio for some reason.

I can understand if it's releasing a game or show in the U.S. with an English dub because not all of us are crazy about the Japanese language and reading subs over here. However, on the flip-side of things, the purists tend to get obnoxious over localized releases with their two classic mantras of stupidity:

1. Original Japanese audio or no buy.

2. No dub needed, just release with subs.

^I honestly can't stand seeing this nonsense spewed out on every forum and trailer everywhere I look. These are not solutions.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
A character can scream, "Vanilla Ice" without having to pay Vanilla Ice. They couldn't use his lyrics or his songs but if screaming a song title or an artist name is as bad as it gets, they can totally do that.

Shows like Big Bang Theory never would have gotten off the ground if it was illegal to say the name of another IP without getting permission or paying first.

I stand corrected. I guess I must have been thinking of some extreme cases.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
lol People like dual-audio for some reason.

Might have something to do with not wanting to pay money to revisit something in the exact same way you originally watched it when that can already be done for free legally on Crunchyroll. Dubs give me more incentive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4