• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Music Video Inspired by Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:14 am Reply with quote
I used to like Kanye West and 50 Cent, but lately when hearing their songs, I can't really hear any real intelligent/smooth writing or smooth/sultry singing. It feels like their music are just random beats and lame lyrics (especially 50 Cent) unlike Snoop Dogg, Sean Paul, R Kelly(I dislike him as a person though), USHER, and Chingy who have better flow and sound, plus their music has better lyrics and sounds like they had actual work put into them.

Kanye West's last good song was Gold Digger and even that's pretty lame now.

GATSU wrote:
He couldn't possibly feign the influence like Disney did with Kimba. Kinda annoyed that he's still referring to it as "Japanimation", though.

ikillchicken: If he did music for the Boondocks, it'd be hard to believe he didn't at least know about anime.

Oh, and thanks for giving us a legal venue for seeing it without making us feel like we're pirates, just we caught it on YouTube.

A lot of people aren't really familiar with the word anime, Japanimation sounds more like something non-anime fans would be able to figure out.

To be honest I say Japanimation or Japanese cartoons when referring to any anime, for some reason the word anime just has a weird feel rolling off my tongue Laughing

Last edited by chrisb on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
Cartoon in my opinion is a very patronizing word for animation.

His acting kinda ruins it, especially him trying to pull of Tetsuo. The katakana is some cases doesn't really make sense, and I think in a couple cases they uses katakana where hiragana should be. Idk, I kinda wish he left Akira alone. To think he could even come close to doing it justice was a joke. The song was ok I guess...idk...I like the original by Daft.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
Wow...I sould have expected this.

Did people flip this much when linkin park had a gundam in their video? (and no i'm no trying to make it a race issue) but it seems like a lot of people rather anime not be involved with anything mainstream.

I've had several...friends ask me about what anime was he copying- could they borrow it, also asked me about the daft punk song as well. This is a chance to reach more people and let them here not only new things- but see something different.

...personally I loved the song and the video to death. I hope someone makes some amvs using this song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
I think it's more the fact that people are made fun of for liking Anime soley because it ISN'T mainstream, then you slap Kanye west on it and they run to it. It's ridiculous. I think people should like something for more personal reasons rather than trying to be like or mimic celebrities. It's the exact reason you stated that this is unfavorable. The fandom doesn't need people like that.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
"Do anything for a Klondike / Do anything for a blonde dyke."

Okay, I don't want to hear anyone say Kanye West's lyrics are intelligent or creative or artistic ever again. These have to be some of the most embarassingly stupid lyrics I've heard in a long, long time.

Now, the Akira homage wasn't so bad—in fact, the idea of acting out scenes from an anime in a music video is kinda cool—but I wish it was done better to a better song (probably by a better artist). The cuts of all the girls dancing placed in between the Akira footage made no sense (so...being a bike-riding medical experiment with a penchant for lesbians and chocolate bars gets you laid?), and the sample of Daft Punk could've stood to be more of a sample of parts of the song, and less of the actual song with Kanye's moronic lyrics slapped over it.

A better rapper (or musician, period) with real artistic vision could've done a far superior video. As it is, this just seems like some high schooler's montage of things he thinks are "cool:" hot girls, crazy Japanese violence toons, ice cream bars, and funny foreign letters flying everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
The song is decent but I'm not sure about the video.

Quote:
Did people flip this much when linkin park had a gundam in their video? (and no i'm no trying to make it a race issue) but it seems like a lot of people rather anime not be involved with anything mainstream.

This kind of thing has happened from time to time if I'm not off. I saw on another site, I think there was another rapper who had footages from one anime in his music video. I'll see if I can find that again.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Kanye West sampling a band that heavily uses samples in their music? If this keeps up, we'll won't need any new music in a generation.

------RM
crazychild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Meh, neither the song or the video really do much for me. I will say I do respect it a great deal for at least trying to do something different from all the other garbage filling the airwaves these days.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Robin: From wikipedia's Daft Punk entry:
Quote:
By 1999 the duo were well into the recording sessions for their second album, which had begun a year earlier.[9] 2001's Discovery took on a slicker and distinctly synthpop-oriented style, initially stunning fans of Daft Punk's previous material in Homework. The group states that the album was conceived as an attempt to reconnect with a playful, open minded attitude associated with the discovery phase of childhood.[6] This accounts for the heavy use of themes and samples from the late '70s to early '80s era on the album.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote
Well he did mention Lupin III in the song Touch the Sky. So I guess he is an anime fan.

Yes, yes, yes guess who's on third?
Lupe still like Lupin the Third.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
bluesheep02 wrote:
I think it's more the fact that people are made fun of for liking Anime soley because it ISN'T mainstream, then you slap Kanye west on it and they run to it. It's ridiculous. I think people should like something for more personal reasons rather than trying to be like or mimic celebrities. It's the exact reason you stated that this is unfavorable. The fandom doesn't need people like that.

So what? if they start liking anime then they're fine. Those friends I mentioned use to rag on me for like 'cartoons'. Now that they've given it a chance two of them are raidin gmy collection everday- telling me they were sorry that they missed out; "On some good shit".

People mimic others all the time- celebratiy or not.

as for Lupe Fiasco...he almost always has something anime in his videos. Be it a wallscroll, a gundam model, or Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CloakBass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
`````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Go figure.

People on animenewsnetwork don't like hip-hop/R&B/rap. Rolling Eyes

To those who are hating on West: granted, he isn't always the wordsmith he can be at times, but you can't entirely discount his ability to write a smooth piece, with some interesting musical arrangement. He just doesn't always put out gems (like most artists).

I think it's pretty unfair to dog on him for this music video, since most non-anime fans won't get that it's an omage to an anime movie (they'll probably just chalk it up to the mainstream Japanophile movement in the entertainment industry).

Plus, it got him coverage in areas he normally wouldn't be talked about or listened to (which is ultimately what he wants, to sell more albums).

Looks like it worked.
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well as I said I would in an earlier thread I told my sister about the influence...as I expected she didn't care. I'm now trying to convince her he's as big a nerd as me Razz

As I post this she has listened to that damn song about eight times in the last hour or so. It's playing again as i type this, piercing my walls and doors faster stronger oops sorry did I trail off there? The video was interesting at first, but rapidly got boring.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Needs more hotblooded screaming. KAAAAAAAANYE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4