• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon Crystal TV Broadcast Gets New Key Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That pose Sailor Moon is making looks painful, and the image doesn't give confidence to the future quality of the series.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How come everyone is so critical of the animation in this adaptation, yet not of the older version?

It's from the mid 90s so it's to be expected given how much smaller the anime industry was back then. However, despite this the animation back then was much more lively and expressive compared to Crystal. It's a problem even when judging it off the manga.

-Stuart Smith
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Also you can look up the key animators for SMC, and see they do good work elsewhere. However there's a ~ton~ of companies going most of the grunt work. The Director handled one of the worst Precure seasons. I can't guess right away who the culprit is for the lack of quality, but I have my suspects.

Also about the heavily Shoujo style, not that long ago Pierrot put out Sugar Sugar Rune. That had a heavily shoujo style to the point it could sometimes make the art bad. But a ton of the art is pretty fun. The show is older and likely smaller budget (I'd guess, why would you ever short change Sailor Moon's reboot?). SMC has contemporaries to compare to, and it compares poorly.

Mind you, they get 2-3 weeks per episode as well. You're waiting twice as long for a mediocre at best product. It was much easier to tune into HaCha (when SMC started airing) or GoPri(Which we're into now) for your weekly Mahou Shoujo kick and have a good time all around.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How come everyone is so critical of the animation in this adaptation, yet not of the older version?

Prolly because they delayed the release of SMC by over a year. It's obvious they didn't spend that extra year making SMC's animation solid.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
It's from the mid 90s so it's to be expected given how much smaller the anime industry was back then. However, despite this the animation back then was much more lively and expressive compared to Crystal. It's a problem even when judging it off the manga.

-Stuart Smith

The Anime industry in the 90s was huge, I have no idea why people assume it was this niche medium. I will give them credit that Sailor Moon was a risk and Toei, understandable weren't going to invest a lot of money into it. After the show became successful, there was no reason for them to keep the same standard of animation.

I completely understand why people would have a probably with the new versions problems, at the same time you should acknowledge and criticise the faults of the first adaptation.

As for the fault faces, ah yes I remember when they were really common. They seem more like cutting corners than anything positive, draw 2 or 3 pictures of them like that and cycle through. And with the more detailed design of the new one, wouldn't fault faces look way out of place.
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the picture actually. It might be possible to do that pose because of the camera angle, but I just remembered. It's Crystal and several want to rip it apart over that. Is it not possible that the camera angle and that she could be floating during the transformation?

I agree that Crystal gets an unnecessary amount of bashing. I'm not about to say it's immaculate and there are a few things I wish that they would have done different, but the broadcasting company that is airing it chose this as their visual. If they didn't like the aesthetic, do you not think that they'd have chosen a different piece?

In the end, I'm hoping between the sponsors that are backing Crystal and the syndication of the series in April, things will play out where the existing animation winds up improving and maybe some sort of extended or director's cut rendition of the series. Right now, we're receiving a rough draft. One in which the story is pretty good and close to the ORIGINAL source material (albeit with liberties, but Classic did that too, and often too liberally).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Suiseiten wrote:
I agree that Crystal gets an unnecessary amount of bashing.

I disagree, it is quite the opposite. If any other beloved franchise got an animated series like Crystal, fans would be up on arms, organizing boycotts to any related products until the series is done correctly. What we have is that most fans either do not give a damn or have become apologists to the perversion called Sailor Moon Crystal. The simple truth is that the emperor is naked and some people are asking where can they get the fine fabric for such excellent clothes Anime hyper
Suiseiten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Suiseiten wrote:
I agree that Crystal gets an unnecessary amount of bashing.

I disagree, it is quite the opposite. If any other beloved franchise got an animated series like Crystal, fans would be up on arms, organizing boycotts to any related products until the series is done correctly. What we have is that most fans either do not give a damn or have become apologists to the perversion called Sailor Moon Crystal. The simple truth is that the emperor is naked and some people are asking where can they get the fine fabric for such excellent clothes Anime hyper
Here's the thing: It's still a work in progress. And many other "beloved" franchises have been remade in a manga-close rendition. Or have Berserk, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist which have all had successful renditions been forgotten? And I'm sorry, but while their stories from what I've seen of them were an improvement, this one is the one that seems to be bashed for being what it is- A sparkly rendition that deviated from the recipe of the original anime and chose to go for the manga as its major source.

I'm not apologetic about liking Crystal. I actually find the compact storyline for the most part refreshing and straight to the point. Not to say that I hate Classic for its frivolous number of fillers, but the reality is that I almost stopped watching after three episodes if over how annoying I found Usagi and Rei's petty arguments. So the emperor isn't naked to me, but has a decent garment at the moment. Sure, it needs a bit more work so you enjoy your little boycott. I've another episode to watch. Cool
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Suiseiten wrote:
Here's the thing: It's still a work in progress.

Calling a series well in its second cour a "work in progress" is delusional beyond belief Shocked

Quote:
And many other "beloved" franchises have been remade in a manga-close rendition. Or have Berserk, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist which have all had successful renditions been forgotten?

I would not call Sailor Moon Crystal a successful rendition. As a matter of fact I cannot think of a famous manga with such an abysmal adaption, the closest thing that comes to mind is Dragonball: Evolution (but that was a hollywood live action flick).

Quote:
A sparkly rendition that deviated from the recipe of the original anime and chose to go for the manga as its major source.

This is the very definition of a Sailor Moon apologist, one that believes that no matter how atrocious the adaption is in itself, it still is superior because it is "faithful" when truth be told the filler gave some very needed depth to other characters not called usagi or mamoru.

Quote:
So the emperor isn't naked to me, but has a decent garment at the moment.

Please tell me that you are mind controlled, that your mortal enemy got ahold of the keyboard while you were away or at the very least that you are sleep deprived.
megazero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should include a bit of comedy moving forward, since it's one thing that made the old series loveable.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2