• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maximum the Hormone Performs 'Battle Song' for 2015 Dragon Ball Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, they've done the OP song for Death Note before. Interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The good: That song is awesome.

The bad: There will likely be an Engrish version made (if not made already) and like with the two FLOW songs in Battle of Gods, will be used for international releases.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
^ Is the rendition of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La in BoG really in English? I always thought it was in Japanese with random Engrish thrown in. I just popped in my disc and am listening to it now, and it's apparently not subtitled in either language. If it is English, it's the most heavily accented broken English I've ever heard. The song still sounds awesome, but the only words I could pick up were "Gonna do it again" and MAYBE "Brand new chi" (not sure if that's what they're saying there).

Also, what will this film's title be over here?

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I haven't heard from them in a long time, glad to see they're singing for DB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
fudge YEAH MTH. These dudes shred live.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I can only imagine it now.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Ah, the nostal - wait, I'm already saying that?
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
oh please be a new version of this xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFlQq3jfWU
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'm actually a big fan of Maximum the Hormone; I encourage anybody to the album buiikikaesu. The album is like funky metal that occasionally goes back to kawaii j-pop and then there's just some mental patient freaking out when the dude and the girl stop singing. It's great.

I still have yet to see Battle of Gods; I should probably check that out at some point, but I haven't seen anything DBZ since it finished airing on Toonami all those years ago.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
The news article wrote:
Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection')

This still isn't a translation of the movie's title Sad. The possessive goes the other way. The revival/resurrection belongs to F, not the letter F belonging to the word fukkatsu.

For what it's worth, we've been going with Revival of "F" for the title translation. Resurrection of "F" or F's Resurrection or F's Revival or whatnot... all good!

"The F in Fukkatsu" and/or "F Is For Fukkatsu" are not the movie's title, nor are they accurate descriptions of the movie's title, which is even spelled out here in this news article describing the "F" as being for "Freeza".
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Now they are going to maximize the epic fight between Goku & Frieza. Razz
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I get a kick out of these guys there last album was a hoot. But hey I think it's perfect for the next film.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
The news article wrote:
Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection')

This still isn't a translation of the movie's title Sad. The possessive goes the other way. The revival/resurrection belongs to F, not the letter F belonging to the word fukkatsu.

For what it's worth, we've been going with Revival of "F" for the title translation. Resurrection of "F" or F's Resurrection or F's Revival or whatnot... all good!

"The F in Fukkatsu" and/or "F Is For Fukkatsu" are not the movie's title, nor are they accurate descriptions of the movie's title, which is even spelled out here in this news article describing the "F" as being for "Freeza".

Thank you for your comment, but we're OK with using our translation and until there is an official English one we're going to stick with what we have.

"Revival of F" would be the other way around with the possessive: "F no Fukkatsu." (literally F's Revival, but you could also translate F no Fukkatsu as "Revival of F"). In this case, however, it is the other way around :"Fukkatsu no F" (literally Revival's F). So "Revival of F" actually wouldn't work as a translation here.

We did consider your comment, but the only example we can think of where the official English translation switched the possessive was "Kidō Senshi Gundam: Gyakushū no Char," which should be "Counterattack's Char" if literally translated, but was instead translated as "Char's Counterattack."

Again, we will be happy to adhere to an official translation when one is announced, but for now we plan to keep it as it is.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd certainly be open to discussing the order of intent with the possessive and such (Freeza can belong to the resurrection, or the resurrection can belong to Freeza; there's a good way for all of that to be clear, I guess; and I'm not the one with the credentials to properly discuss that), but again:

Is what's in parenthesis intended to be a translation of the title? Neither "The F in Fukkatsu" nor "F Is For Fukkatsu" are a translation of "Fukkatsu no F".

Is what's in the parenthesis intended to be a description of the title? Neither "The F in Fukkatsu" nor "F Is For Fukkatsu" are an accurate description of "Fukkatsu no F".

The fact that the romanization of 復活 begins with our letter "F" is irrelevant and merely incidental; ANN's (your?) own article right here rightfully describes how the "F" in the title is a nod back to Maximum the Hormone's song named "F" which itself is about Freeza. We have multiple quotes, from the author himself, stating what the "F" is for, and it's not for "fukkatsu":

Akira Toriyama, January 2015 issue of V-Jump wrote:
「F」はフリーザのFです。

"The 'F' stands for Freeza." (or, alternatively I guess, "The F is the F from Freeza.")
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1