• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kasimasi Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reikon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the no dub, it costs me 33% less. I wish more companies would release sub only DVDs. It'd sure be easier on my wallet to buy anime.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I can't believe people would not buy it just because it lacks a dub, even though it costs less. Rolling Eyes
Neutral Think of it like this: you like eating hamburgers, especially cheeseburgers. You love that cheese on top of the nice greasy meat.

Now, if you go into your local Wacdonalds and they say "sorry, we're out of cheese, it's only plain burgers today" and you prefer cheeseburgers, you're likely going to do one of two things. Either you're going to sigh and order the somewhat cheaper plain burger that you like but not as much as the cheeseburger or you're going to go to a different fast food place and order their cheeseburger instead.

Same thing with anime. If you want a series that's bilingual, but a particular title is only monolingual, you may get a different series regardless of the price because you prefer dual language over single language. It's a matter of preference and not everyone prefers the Japanese language track.

And that may very well be the strangest thing I've ever posted. (I'm half starved.)

championferret wrote:
On another note, do people really hate the teacher so much? o.o I...personally really love her!
Now here we find serious common ground. I think she's great too. I especially love when she's all "I will protect my students!" and tries to block the mob of reports from getting to Hazumu. That was just plain awesome. Funny, heroic, and cool all at the same time. Namiko and Yukari from Azumanga Daioh are my top anime teachers of all time.

Not to sound snarky or like a jerk, but why are some sub fans so shocked by people who don't want to buy a series that's sub-only? (I'm excluding you Neverwhere, you had a legitimate reason to be surprised by my choice.) Don't sub fans understand that there are a fair number of people who do in fact enjoy listening to English dubs? Not trying to be rude, but why is it a surprise that someone who prefers watching anime dubbed in English would be hesitant to buy a sub-only DVD? Not everyone wants to read their anime and generally most people have more than one series on their To-Buy list.

I've watched series subbed. I prefer English dubbed. If I'm spending money on something, shouldn't I be buying what I actually want rather than what's sort of like what I want? Plus, in this case, there's no artbox and the manga's available here.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Neverwhere! I've ordered the first disc from DeepDiscount to try it out. Smile

And re: the whole subs/dubs thing. I'm a diehard subs person. I hate dubs. But I totally understand why people like dubs and wouldn't buy a sub only disc. It's weird to me that some people seem confused that others wouldn't support a sub only disc. I certainly wouldn't buy a dub only disc, even if it was a series I loved and if it was ridiculously cheap.
james039

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder why people who love anime hate Japanese language.. what you're looking at is basically a Japanese production. To me, and probably to most people that prefer subs, watching the Japanese version is like drinking orange juice, and watching the dub is like drinking cool-aid. Some people may prefer the cool-aid, but there's no denying the artificiality of it.

My outlook may be different because of my proficiency in Japanese, and in fact I usually turn subs off and watch these things raw, but in my experience, the acting in 90% of english dubs is sub-par and inferior. Dubs are to me, a complete waste of money, because they rarely reflect the emotional and creative energy of the original acting talent.

My only complaint about this disc was that the credits are not in Japanese. I hate it when they do that. They could've at least put a 2nd angle, like Funimation does.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
You know... I was supposed to get this... Karin too, but I forgot.

(and, well... I bought some hentai during the Deepdiscount sale... it was really cheap!)

ANYWAY... uhhh...

I read the first volume of the manga, and I gotta say... while the questions about the concept of romance was a little interesting, the setup does come across as a little ridiculous (if not... very).

And, you know, that other chick's "sickness" was just... yeah...

But hey, it's girl-on-girl romance, so why not?

Anyway, I'm totally interested in this...

Too bad for a lack of dub, but I have a weird feeling that, should they have put out for one, it probably would've been a low-end one, which wouldn't be cool (meaning that I would've watched this subbed anyway, had that been the case)...

Media Blasters must've really come to the conclusion that their releases would be more profitable without dubs...

Like, even with the increased exposure brought about by dubs, they wouldn't make as much money as less exposure without dubs.

... yeah, that's the only reasoning I can come up with... might be wrong though.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
I have to wonder why people who love anime hate Japanese language.. what you're looking at is basically a Japanese production. To me, and probably to most people that prefer subs, watching the Japanese version is like drinking orange juice, and watching the dub is like drinking cool-aid. Some people may prefer the cool-aid, but there's no denying the artificiality of it.

To me, that line of thinking is flawed. Just because it came from one country doesn't mean its the best for all people to have it the same way. What matters most is what YOU enjoy, and if a product doesn't have something that you enjoy, you don't get it.

And for people who want only dub this or sub that, you cutting off the audience. If I was a author/creator, I would want my work to reach as many audiences as possible. People who only want one way only are selfish/elitist who don't think about others.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree the humor is very distracting at the start, but I think it gets better as the series goes on especially at the later episodes. I would have preferred when the drama started it would keep going and not take a break for laughs, it took away the mood. I noticed lots of people hated how the show ended but I actually really liked the way it concluded refreshingly sad so I refuse to watch the Christmas OAV which looks otaku pleasing.

One thing I never liked about the show that the art team drew the characters all chubby trying to make them cute, but I don't think it really worked all that well. I like cute babyfat characters but in Kasimasi all the girls looked more puffed up than chubby.

The soundtrack is really pleasing and I love the ending song, I reccomend fans of the show buy the OST.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
I have to wonder why people who love anime hate Japanese language.
I have to wonder why people jump to the conclusion that viewers who prefer watching anime in English somehow "hate" the Japanese language.

Anyway, I did get the first disc in yesterday and took a look at the first episode...maybe I've been spoiled by AnimEigo's Kimagure Orange Road releases, but I'd like to think that subtitles on sub-only professional releases would have more time/effort put into them, compared to subtitles on dual-language releases. These weren't too bad, but for some reason there were some slightly unprofessional touches like combinging "See ya" into "seeya," and at one point around 8:00 or 9:00 in episode 1, a subtitle line from a few seconds earlier briefly flashes up again for no reason. (It's a line about "those two were always together at the flower bed.")
Shugotenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
I have to wonder why people who love anime hate Japanese language..

Shocked I have to wonder why so many people make blanket statements with no facts and which are basically made without thinking or to incite arguments. I believe you would be hard pressed to find many dub fans that would say they 'hate Japanese language'.

james039 wrote:

My outlook may be different because of my proficiency in Japanese, and in fact I usually turn subs off and watch these things raw

??? So you don't have to read your anime? Which is what many dub fans prefer about the dub. Notice I said 'many' and not a blanket 'people'. Sorry if I came off as a prick but it seriously aggravates me when sub only fans make such silly statements and this isn't the first time I seen that particular statement (alright so I'm projecting some of my annoyance at my friends 'blanket statement' making girlfriend Mad )
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
(I'm excluding you Neverwhere, you had a legitimate reason to be surprised by my choice.)

I certainly hope so Richard, otherwise I'd be forced to take your Miu and Chiyo-chan figures away in retaliation. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I certainly hope so Richard, otherwise I'd be forced to take your Miu and Chiyo-chan figures away in retaliation. Wink
Shocked

Um, in light of this development, I recant all previous statements I have ever made in favor of English dubs, the English language, English speaking countries, cultures, or heretofore undiscovered alien species.

Oh, wait, you're not really taking them. Whew, let me take a deep breath and calm myself down.

Anime exclamation
Anime smallmouth

Don't scare me like that Neverwhere. You know I panic easily. Wink

On a serious note, I wish more sub fans were like you. You've never made a single derisive comment about my being an English dub fan nor made a single accusation that I "hate the Japanese language." Good natured ribbing aside, you've never said anything negative at all about my choice of language track.

And to restate my position for those who aren't as calm and rational as Neverwhere: I wish this had been a bilingual release with an artbox. That's really all my posts have said. I never said it should have been English dub only or that the Japanese track is inferior or that the story is bad. Lack of English dub and lack of artbox have lead me to the difficult decision that I'll wait for a collection that's even cheaper (thus eliminating the need for an artbox and, perhaps, giving Media Blasters time to reconsider creating an English track.) I've got the manga, which goes beyond the anime anyway, to buy and that helps me to be able to wait.

I've tried to explain that personal preferences aren't the same for everyone and that some people, myself being one such individual, do prefer English dubs over the Japanese. I've asked why this concept seems so odd to some people and been met with blanket statements that have nothing to do with my stated opinions or points. I haven't accused any sub fan of hating English nor of being elitist.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

On a serious note, I wish more sub fans were like you. You've never made a single derisive comment about my being an English dub fan nor made a single accusation that I "hate the Japanese language." Good natured ribbing aside, you've never said anything negative at all about my choice of language track.

I suppose it's simply because you never actually took offense to me calling you a heretical dub lover (which, let me remind you, you are ;- ) but instead choice to see our exchanges as playful, rather than derision. Smile

But please, don't say that I'm more 'rational' than anyone else (even if it *is* true -- I am a Ravenclaw after all ;- ), as most people here are indeed quite rational and even sane. Mostly. Very Happy
james039

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it was never my intent to deride anyone, my apologies to those who were offended by my remarks. It's not fair for me to guess at anyone here's rationale as to their preference for a dubbed version, but to defend myself a little, my comments were mostly a reflection of the remarks I've heard from dub fans in person and past arguments I've heard. Many have said to me they hate the sound of spoken Japanese and I took personal offense to that, so again, I apologize for assuming other dub fans here were 'all the same'.

That said, I for the most part liked this release. I disliked the fact that Japanese credits were unavailable, but it's hardly a deal breaker. I really did like the price.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I would import this but my current "Screw Media Blasters" taboo is limiting them to importing Ecomany Box Sets and even then just the one.

Seriously, This having no dub because it's "Yuri"? Fine, whatever.
The show that's not geting a dub because of Voltron? No, that's where I draw my line, damnit.

In short, you would of had my great british pounds, Media Blasters but you just HAD to sink the most awesome show ever, didn't you?
No amount of 4kids actors speaking engrish will save them (Seriouly, if that's not TAJ produtions doing the VA for the Nasa doods in ep 1 then I'm the queen of france).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

The show that's not geting a dub because of Voltron? No, that's where I draw my line, damnit.

What? I assume you are talking about GaioGaiGar. And you are really clueless as to why it isn't getting dubbed past the halfway point.

MediaBlasters stopped dubbing it because it was selling really poorly and dubbing was eating all their profits from it. Kashimashi (and all their yaoi titles and probably Simoun) aren't getting dubbed because they don't expect them to sell enough to recoup the dubbing costs. And they are probably right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4