• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Otsegolectric wrote:
Holy crap, expected big thread for this. Personally don't like it. o-o

I'd say that 77 pages on one manga is fairly large.

And if you didn't like the story, why did you post in this thread?
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
Oh, God! I missed you guys! My exams started and so I only had time to read the posts but not post myself! Crying or Very sad But since it starts the week of my ultimate favourite character spoiler[Kyo, lovely Kyo]I can't miss this week. Bloody exams! Evil or Very Mad

By the way, fighterholic, poor Shigure! Like the girls said, but I wonder myself something: how come you have chosen those colours? So we are to expect the official post tonight! Oh, yes, finally my character comes into picture! Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Otsegolectric wrote:
Holy crap, expected big thread for this. Personally don't like it. o-o

I take it you dont' like the Haruhi Suzumiya thread too Rolling Eyes Anyway, gotta go to a concert y'all, so I'm going to post it right now so we can get started.

Welcome to Kyo week! Yes, Kyo. The one who we thought couldn't find romance in the beginning, but boy did we get the unexpected Very Happy

Characters related to Kyo:
- Tohru
- Yuki
- Shigure
- Akito
- Ayame
- Ritsu
- Hatori
- Hatsuharu
- Rin
- Kureno
- Kisa
- Hiro
- Kagura
- Arisa
- Saki
- His Father
- His Mother
- Kazuma

Have to go to work now, I'll hopefully be back tonight. See ya![/b]

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Finally it's Kyo's turn, my absolute favorite character. There is so much to write about, but I think I'll just focus this one post based on first impressions of Kyo and his character starting from Volume one.

When, Tohru meets spoiler[Shigure and sees the zodiac statues, she comments on the cat and how she wishes she was born in the year of the cat because it is her favorite. Before we even meet Kyo, I already agree with Tohru because I am such a cat lover. I was excited to think that this series was going to have a character based on the cat because it is usually excluded from the zodiac. (Like poor Kyo!). Then Shigure comments how he wishes "he could hear her" saying that.]

Finally, spoiler[Kyo's big entrance and he seems to be a violent, brash, and rude person who shouts at Tohru and causes damage and destruction! Wink From constantly fighting and arguing with Yuki to accidentally hurting Tohru and making her bleed. But I think it is obvious how Kyo is lacking the skills to interact with people and how he just instinctively lashes out, even at Tohru when she is trying to talk to him. Then he realizes what he has done or said but then gets even more upset and angry and runs off. It is cute when he is trying to apologize to Tohru in his own way, and it is very difficult for him to get his feelings and words across to people. ]

Even from volume 1, Kyo was already becoming my favorite character. I loved to see his awkwardness in interactions with people, but that by the end of the volume he was trying to get better at expressing himself (at least to Tohru). Sigh, there is just too much to say, I'll just leave it at this for now and add my impressions on Kyo as the series progressed for later installments! Very Happy

Sorry if I have mixed up the chronology or time line of events, I believe all this happened in volume 1, but forgive me if I am wrong and accidentally brought something in from a later volume.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Between the two (Yuki and Kyo) I'm not really sure who changed the most. Alot of the changes that Yuki went through were inward changes. spoiler[He still comes off as serene and a bit aloof but he is able to interact more with people.
]

Kyo, on the other hand, spoiler[is loud, brash, arguemenitive and ready to fight. He realizes that he does things wrong, is angry at himself and lashes out in his anger. But when we get to the English Volume where we are at now. He still, on occasion, shouts but he does think more before he speaks. He's also able to interact better with people. That was one thing that Yuki was jealous about, that Kyo was able to be somewhat more comfortable with others than he was. One reason for that, I feel, is that Kyo really doesn't send out the "don't come near me" vibes that Yuki does. And because he doesn't people like are comfortable speaking to him and people like Arisa are willing to shout back and give him a hard time.]
pixiebell

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kyo is such an interesting character, I have enjoyed watching him grow and change throught the series.

It is sad that he spoiler[has decided to push down his feelings for Torhu in order to protect her. While this is a kind and selfless thing to do I am afraid it will just cause both of them more problems in the end.]

I think I have finally been able to view the anime and manga as two completely different things and will hopefully be able to stop comparing them so much. I am really interested to see what is going to happen between Kyo/Yuki/Torhu.

I was so shocked to find out that Kyo spoiler[ is suposed to be locked up once he finishes high school. (My husband brought up the interesting point of why in the world he would bother going to school if he was just going to be locked up as soon as he finished.) I think that he still harbors some hope of escaping this fate though, even if he won't admit that to himself.]

The fact that iky old Akito was responsible for spoiler[ Kyo wanting to beat Yuki so badly was a suprise as well. How cruel of her to say she will give him freedom if he beats Yuki. I doubt that if by some fluke he did beat Yuki that she would actually honor her promise to Kyo.]

As for how he relates to the other zodiac members, all of his life he was shunned and ignored by the other members and the only people that were there for him were Kagura and Kazuma. However Kagura spoiler[ turns out to have had impure reasons for being with him in the first place. Though I think that she really does care for him now.] Even Kazuma was first kind to Kyo out of spoiler[guilt for how he treated his grandfather.] I think that Kazuma is the most positive influence in Kyo's life right now, not to mention the only real father figure he has ever known.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma spoiler[in a way though was taking care of Kyo out of guilt for how he treated his grandfather, but over time he really has cared for Kyo as a son. When Kyo first came up, he was naive, easily brought to anger, and didn't think of the consequences of his actions. That would change overtime, as he and Tohru got closer, they were spending more time with each other. ]
With what Kyo knew spoiler[was going to happen to him after school, he decided to push himself away from Tohru so as not to hurt her. Though she already knew that he was going away and wanted to find a way that she wouldn't be separated from him. Eventually through a series of events and incidents, it brought them even closer.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
During the spoiler[Cinderella play, in Volume 15, and continuing in to the most recent volume 16, we see Kyo really trying to repress his feelings for Tohru. Maybe not repress, but not letting himself think that she could ever have feelings towards him. During the play when it was mentioned that the "prince," Kyo needs to stop being isolated from the world, he says that he doesn't care and it shouldn't matter to anyone if he isolates himself. But then Tohru blurts out "But that would make me..." and stops. Kyo is really startled and starts to think what she meant by that, possibly that Tohru cares for him also. But by the end of the volume, he tells himself he cannot think like that, cannot let himself believe that she could ever feel that way. This continues into volume 16 where he repeats himself and says he couldn't forgive himself if he thought like that. He knows he will probably be locked up and just wants to spend his remaining time with Tohru as much as possible, but he does not want to hurt her, so he can't let himself believe Tohru likes him, because he would then have to leave her.]

Though, we see hints of spoiler[Tohru being kind of sad in a few panels because Kyo is being a little distant, though they still are close. Kyo is just preventing them from getting even closer to each other in order to protect her feelings, and probably his own as well.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, spoiler[did Kyo know that Tohru knew what was going to happen to him. Turns out it came up in volume 20/21 when she had confessed her feelings to him and he turned her down, denying her but himself as well. The love there may have been platonic, but went deeper as time went on.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The thing is, spoiler[did Kyo know that Tohru knew what was going to happen to him. Turns out it came up in volume 20/21 when she had confessed her feelings to him and he turned her down, denying her but himself as well. The love there may have been platonic, but went deeper as time went on.]

Ehh?!? spoiler[Kyo turns her down?! What was he thinking! ]Oh man, looks like I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Curse you Tokyopop, hurry up with the releases already! Sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Ehh?!? spoiler[Kyo turns her down?! What was he thinking! ]Oh man, looks like I'll just have to wait and see for myself. Curse you Tokyopop, hurry up with the releases already! Sad

spoiler[Oh yeah, he got to suffer the wrath of Arisa and Saki on that one] Laughing
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
spoiler[Oh yeah, he got to suffer the wrath of Arisa and Saki on that one] Laughing

Shocked Scary. I can't wait to read that part! Laughing

Well, continuing on with the Kyo discussion, I always liked the relationship between Kyo and Momiji. spoiler[Although they aren't really close, I think Momiji loves to tease Kyo, especially when it comes to romance and Tohru! Wink He is such a mischievous child, and always gives Kyo a hard time, while in return Kyo kind of "abuses" him as well. Momiji is one of the Zodiac who picks up on Kyo's feelings for Tohru very early on in the series, I think almost before Kyo truly realizes it as well.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I think that Momiji is one of the most astute of the Zodiac. Like Ningensei said, Momijispoiler[picked up on Kyo's feelings for Tohru way before Kyo realized how he felt.]

I think that Momiji is really underestimated because of the way he looks and dresses.

Thinking about Kyo and Shigure, I think that they have pretty much the same relationship that Shigure and Yuki have...Shigure drives them insane with his behavior and antics. But, I also think that they appreciate Shigure, in a way, for providing them with some place to live, spoiler[safe from Akito.]

One of the most amusing situations with Shigure and Kyo happened in the first volume, I believe, and Shigure took Kyo to the High School to see if he could get in. Kyo spoiler[was angry because he passed the test and became angrier when Yuki asked him "Why didn't you just bomb the entrance exam on purpose." Shigure's response, like Yuki's, was "because he's an idiot."] I actually think that the anime did that scene better than the manga.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I think depending upon the situation, spoiler[Momiji might have made his move for Tohru, against Kyo. I think though that Momiji started to realize that Tohru was having feelings for Kyo, which is why he didn't make his move, out of respect for Tohru.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Momiji is such a sweet character and it's true that i think most of us underestimated him being this really childish character spoiler[when in fact he's really mature ever since at such a young age. When he was all grown up and became sooo good looking Shocked i was actually rooting for him and Tohru...but that didn't last long =p I mean i think Momiji deserved someone awesome but then yeah he let Tohru chose what she wanted though i think on the inside he knew that Tohru would never chose him. It's just so sad Crying or Very sad Kyo and Momiji have both suffered differently but it all came down to one same point, they are both lonely.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 77 of 170