• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[ot]When your anime tastes refine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
For all of you when did you surpass that stage of fandom when anything thats anime is automatically cool? In other words when did you start to favor a genre or notice a cliche or hate and love certain titles over others?

For me i started loving anything toonami (when it was every day) fed me as well as whatever fox kids and kids wb spit out until late 18 yr or early 19. i ws beyond magical girls and made up attacking animals and was an adventure tale lover until i discovered even more titles and genres until i became aware of them and now watch anime openly to try out more things and rate them personally from kids shows to mature things.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
For all of you when did you surpass that stage of fandom when anything thats anime is automatically cool? In other words when did you start to favor a genre or notice a cliche or hate and love certain titles over others?

For me i started loving anything toonami (when it was every day) fed me as well as whatever fox kids and kids wb spit out until late 18 yr or early 19. i ws beyond magical girls and made up attacking animals and was an adventure tale lover until i discovered even more titles and genres until i became aware of them and now watch anime openly to try out more things and rate them personally from kids shows to mature things.

Five or six years ago. I was a much more terrible person back then, though.
Mr. Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
For me about two years ago. I went on sort of a hiatus from anime almost reading manga exclusively. When I slowly woked my way back into anime I found I no longer liked 'kiddy' shows like Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh, but more like Hellsing, Death Note and BLEACH.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
around freshman year of highschool. i stayed up all the time to watch Adult Swim. i was such a lost cause nerd at one point.

now im balanced.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Otaku wrote:
For me about two years ago. I went on sort of a hiatus from anime almost reading manga exclusively. When I slowly woked my way back into anime I found I no longer liked 'kiddy' shows like Pokemon or Yu-gi-oh, but more like Hellsing, Death Note and BLEACH.

I found that I really didn't like Doraemon around age 15, and Pokemon around age 16, simply because I couldn't commit to Pokemon, and Doraemon because it was just too kiddy for me. I'm also finding that my taste in shojo series has come about, finding that shojo series are both funny and dramatic and not just limited to girls.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime on and off for most of my life, but it is only in the past decade or so that I have started to watch it intensely, as a separate focus of interest, rather than as a casual thing.

In the years before that, I have (for most of my life) been heavily interested in cinema and television, as well as in many other arts. In fact, the reason I learned Japanese originally was precisely this interest in cinema -- I had a dream of being able to watch (for instance) a Kurosawa movie without having to rely on subtitles. I was sure there was a lot of subtext that I was missing, and I was right.

So, in my case, I don't think there ever was a moment when my anime tastes "refined". My artistic tastes were refined before I ever became heavily interested in anime, and anime only represents the latest aspect of my general fascination with the storytelling arts.

And as for not watching everything -- I still try to watch everything, time permitting. After all, as I have remarked elsewhere, how are you going to tell the good from the bad, if you don't watch the bad for comparison?

- abunai

BTW, why on Earth is this thread marked "OT"? There's nothing off-topic about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I used to be obsessed with shoujo anime and Pokemon-style shows when I was in middle school and high school and while I still love those shows a lot, I've also become more interested in more dark and twisted sci-fi anime this past year. I've just now finally got around to watching NGE which I really loved a lot and I look forward to watching other sci-fi anime. I especially really want to watch Texhnolyze.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, like Abunai, I've been watching anime for most of my life as well, from when I was 5 or 6 watching horrible quality vids. on tape that my uncles friends had, to now, watching whatever comes out.

However because I was 6 couldn't really tell it was anime, so, I became aware of anime in the 3rd grade and started intensly watching and judging anime in 5th grade. And since the 5th grade, my goal in life was to watch Every anime ever and will ever be created. Of course I know that most likely won't happen, but i'm never going to stop. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Funny on the timing of this thread because that's what I feel like I'm going through now.

I'm really starting to prefer more mature and "complex" anime now (I haven't watched anime since winter break... I've been watching a lot of Asian drama instead, which are a lot more realistic with complex plots and characters and whatnot. I've been trying to get into NHK ni Youkoso! in the midst of all the dramas but it's simply not what I'm into. Same goes for all similar types of anime. I think the only anime I'm looking forward to watch as of now are Death Note and Ergo Proxy, and since I'm reading the Death Note manga, I can guess how complex the anime plot will be.

Not sure if I'm going to be picky like this forever or if I'm just going through a phase like I have been since I started watching anime, but now is the most "mature" stage I've gone through for anime.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
For me, I guess that would be last year, around September. At that time, I was becoming more of an anime fan, and not just watching any anime that would air on YTV. So I started to watch anything that was newly released by fansubbers, to take in as many different genres as I can.

I love watching comedy-based anime series (I still do), from stuff like Yakitate!! Japan & Gintama to more romance/harem-based titles like Love Hina & Ichigo 100%. But at that point, I found out that I also started to really enjoy watching romantic drama series (at least that's what I like to call them), where the romance and/or drama was the more prominent feature in the series. First, it was Canvas2 ~Niji-iro no Sketch~. Then, I started following Suzuka. But it wasn't until the sudden turn of events that occured in Shuffle! (which I initially watched due to my interest in romantic comedies) that I knew that I genuinely enjoyed watching romance/drama series. By November, I was hooked. I still remember the days when I was eagerly awaiting the next episodes of Suzuka and Shuffle!. Very Happy

As well, just recently, I've begun to take a liking to the horror genre, which I generally enjoy the least. It began through watching Higurashi no [color]Na[/color]ku Koro ni, followed by reading Monster and most recently Dragon Head. But it's only just the beginning. Surprised
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Kind of a long story. back it the days about 7 or 8 years ago, I remember always watching to watch Anime like Sailor Moon and DBZ on TV everyday. I don't think I t was just Anime but cartoons in general. But for some reason I have come to like the style of animation in Anime. And instead of episodic episodes in American cartoons, certain Anime like Sailor Moon and Tekkaman Blade had a story line that drew me in.

One day, I was talking with a friend and he told me about Anime being shown on PBS. Yes, the same PBS where you would find Barney and Mr. Rogers. I didn't believe him when he told me Evangelion was being shown. Well... Sunday night came and all ready to get my hopes up, I was thrown into shock when I turned to PBS. Luckily for me, Evangelion was on episode 1. That time was around 1999 and so goes my Anime journey if you will. Back then, I had no internet so what Anime I could get was stuff from Circuit City like Apple Seed, Akira, Perfect Blue.. etc etc.

i think it was around 2002-3 that my taste in Anime got "better ". bittorrent became my best solution to getting Anime and being one of the first kid on the block to have DSL, I took full advantage of it. Anime kinda became an obession for me and I've always been looking for better things to watch. I think I went from looking for fanservice Anime to looking for Anime with a deeper meaning, an Anime that has feeling to it. yeah, sounds a little cheesy but it's true.

I'm told at times by my friend that I'm baised toward watching psycological Anime such as Boogiepop Phantom or Texhnolzyed and so forth. But I really watch anything.

Though I have been siding to liking "serious" Anime more, I do not avoid any certain genre. I watch anything be it good or crap even when I know or told it's good or crap.

Something I have come to realize now that is past preferring certain genre or Anime is that Anime is something to experience fully. My taste is never refined nor do I believe it ever will be. I do not "favor" watching anything over another. I approach everything equally and accept what I watch. It's not fair to ignore what you don't like and always chase after ones that will only benefit your interest. Like life, it would be foolish to always be searching and expecting to find happiness all the time.

Oh well.. sounds kind of cheesy but whatever.

Last edited by Lord Kefka on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
I skipped right through that stage I guess. I was always pretty choosey about what I watched. I tried lots of stuff, some I ended up liking and some was crap that I couldn't stand. There was never a time when I judged a whole genre to be cool simply because I liked one or two shows. Instead I just liked the individual show for what it was. For a while I was just watching the same type of stuff though, shounen, science fiction, and mech anime, but a few years back I branched out into other genres like action, horror, mystery, romance, comedy, drama, fantasy, etc. once I got satelite and was exposed to a few new stations that broadcast the stuff. Now as long as the story was somehow entertaining be it the intellectual or simple kind I'd probabally give it a decent shot. Now I do the vast majority of my anime watching on DVD where there's a larger variety to choose from.
Lynx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
My tastes have definitely changed over the years. For example, years ago I probably could have counted the amount of shoujo I'd seen on one hand. These days I find myself watching shows like NANA on a regular basis.

The earliest I can recall noticing would be two years ago when I went to Anime Expo. While looking around for something to purchase I came across a Gundam Wing boxset and it got me into a nostalgic trip recalling the days I'd come home from school and sit down to watch it along with Dragon Ball Z every day on Cartoon Network. Long story short, I never made it past rewatching the first few episodes. Looking back on a lot of my purchases there are quite a few series and items that make me recognize how much tastes have changed over time.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't know if I was ever in the "anything anime is cool" stage for more than a brief period of time. Of course, I also haven't precisely associated myself with any sort of fandom--anime-related or otherwise--in anything more than a casual sense.

For the most part it has always been less about genre and more about characters and/or stories when it comes to the series I enjoy watching. Thus my collection runs from heavily shojo titles like SuperGALS to shonen/action titles like Full Metal Panic. I only rarely catch things as they are broadcast on television, since I really do prefer watching stuff in chunks when at all possible.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
I've been an anime fan as far back as I can remember, instead of thinking that everthing animated made by Japan was cool, I was actually limited to one or two genres, back when I was a kid, I loved shoujo and adventure series and wouldn't watch the rest -most notably mecha, sports and sci-fi, but as I grew up, I began to open up to and appreciate the other genres. For someone who absolutely hated anything with a hint of sci-fi, it's now one of the elements that draws me to check a series out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2