• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In this topic, we post the lesser known/appreciated Anime,

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I figured since my first topic was a big bust, I'll try and make up for it, Anyways.

Junkers Come Here - slice of life. great movie. About a young girl who is going through the hardship of a possible divorce between her parents. In the process, she learns about selfiness and how hapiness should not be created through the sufferings of others.

Mind Game - slice of life again. In this movie, you witness the ambition, struggle, and hope in a group of people who gets themselves into trouble. The Animation is amazing as well as the character development. This is a great watch for those people who are looking to get inspired as they are looking and searching for their own goal in life, guided by the ambitions and hope as well as the failures that come along.

Solty Rei - one of my favorites. About a father who lost her daughter in a tragic event years ago but still believes she is still alive somewhere. While searching for her, he encounters a mysterious girl who is completely different than any human. Who is she? Where did she come from? Need to watch this to find out.

Twin Spica - Basically a girl who is determined so follow the footsteps of her father in going to space. Pushing away the obstacles in front of her, she steps on challenge in her way as she chases her dream.

Kurau: Phantom Memory - Slice of life, sci-fi. The daughter of a father who in is on the verge of a scientific breakthrough un ultalizing a few form of energy until her dauhgter gets caught up in the energy itself and taken over by this live form, refusing to return the body of his daughter back to him. A good watch.

Comedy - short 10 minute film by studio 4C. It's about a girl who goes on a search for a legendary knight to save her village from an invasion. In exchange for his service, she offers him a book. A book for a thousand lives? What is the meaning behind this "fair" trade. Dish out 10 minutes to find out.

Chance Pop Session - a group of girls who want to be singers. Each girl with a different past and early childhood, what makes these girls fated to be grea singers. Check it out.

Figure 17 - sci-fi, drama. A young girl who gets the ability to fight against aliens. It's hard to describe without trying to spoil anything or going into details, but worth a watch.

Last edited by Lord Kefka on Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
You might want to explain a bit more in detail. This site has a pretty strict policy about listing. If a mod strolls by then you'll probably get a warning to flesh out your reasons or get it locked. Sorry if this site seems a bit harsh for you so far but once you know the rules it's pretty good.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

The first 4 I do not care for. Underrated and overrated are stupid words to use as they degrade and insult anyone who thinks otherwise. Those words are too subjective. I don't want it to be a debate between people who think something overrated is underrated and something underrated is overated in this topic. The last one was ok but from more than over a year ago. I have no idea how you found that one but why not start this one and actually continue it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

The first 4 I do not care for. Underrated and overrated are stupid words to use as they degrade and insult anyone who thinks otherwise. Those words are too subjective. I don't want it to be a debate between people who think something overrated is underrated and something underrated is overrated in this topic. The last one was ok but from more than over a year ago. I have no idea how you found that one but why not start this one and actually continue it?
It's called the Forum Search, ever heard of it? I never said "don't continue this" and I don't have the authority to tell anybody not to, but on frequently-appearing topics like this, previous threads are usually linked to as reference. And the word choice doesn't really matter; descriptions like "lesser-known," "underrated," "overlooked," and "less appreciated" all end up referring to "anime that longtime fans with eclectic tastes know and love, which newer/mainstream fans have not seen."
And I have nothing against this topic--I do intend to answer it, but I'm not at home at the moment and can't take the time.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Woahh horsey, pull back on the reins there a little bit Zalis Wink
But I must say LK, your reply did come of a little conceited and overbearing, I don't know if that has something to do with an image that's supposed to be reflected by your user name, but regardless that kind of attitude is not going to get you very far on these forums.

Plus this thread is nothing more than a list thread with slightly detailed mention of unrelated anime. Maybe if you concentrate on one or two titles and reflect on why they might be underappreciated that might be more interesting and worth a discussion.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
[To Zalis116]

Ah.. I wasn't trying to be conceited at all. I'm not used to this kind of forum type so I just checked the first few pages for this same topic. I'm not sure what kind of people post here. I usually post on Gamefaqs so whenever there is one of those "underrated/overrated" topics, it always gets out of hand, which is why I was trying to avoid that idea. If those terms, "lesser-known," "underrated," "overlooked," and "less appreciated" all have the same meaning here then that's fine. Now I know because I've always had this thing when people say so and so is overrated. Sounds too objective to me for some reason, even if it is only an opinion.

And about those other topics you linked. I didn't know what your intentions were. I originally thought your were trying to tell me there are others like this out there and that it should go there. If it's a misunderstanding then that's fine. Each forum has it's own way and a unique set of people within a general atmosphere.

[EDIT: No need for excessive quoting. Read rule #6. Thanks. -TK]

Last edited by Lord Kefka on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Woahh horsey, pull back on the reins there a little bit Zalis Wink
But I must say LK, your reply did come of a little conceited and overbearing, I don't know if that has something to do with an image that's supposed to be reflected by your user name, but regardless that kind of attitude is not going to get you very far on these forums.

lol. The name comes from FFVI. Anyone who knows who Kefka is knows what I'm talking about. Wink

Quote:
Plus this thread is nothing more than a list thread with slightly detailed mention of unrelated anime. Maybe if you concentrate on one or two titles and reflect on why they might be underappreciated that might be more interesting and worth a discussion.

Well, I would like that but I wanted to avoid specificity and toss a range of things that will interest people. A little something in a range of genres. Also, I really don't want to post and spoil anything in the discussions.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Past wrote:
Woahh horsey, pull back on the reins there a little bit Zalis

lol. The name comes from FFVI. Anyone who knows who Kefka is knows what I'm talking about.

Yes, Kefka is easily one of the strongest villians in the FF series. He hates and doesn't trust anybody and believes the our existance is completely meaningless and has no point. Thats who Kefka is. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Yes, Kefka is easily one of the strongest villians in the FF series. He hates and doesn't trust anybody and believes the our existance is completely meaningless and has no point. Thats who Kefka is. Anime smile

And he poisons rivers. Razz
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
And he poisons rivers. Razz

And he hates hates hates hates hates hates...hates hates hates hates hates hates hates HATES YOU!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Twisted Evil
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:

Yeah, the name seems to fit the personality so far, I guess... That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. It could lead to a good debate/discussion here and there.

FFVI is my favorite FF, by the way (gotta' love that double Genji Glove with two maxed Atma Weapons Anime hyper = pwnage).

Anyway, back on topic...

I definitley agree Mind Game is under the radar. If you're an open-minded anime fan and have a knack for watching the surreal (and maybe "obscure" if that's a good word), you'll love MG with one viewing. The production qualities alone are out there, but in a very refreshing way.

Art style, animation, music, and all the hidden messages are a blast to experience. Feel free to read some thoughts by other users in the "Mind Game awesomeness" thread and revive it if you want.
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
To Tony K. wrote:
FFVI is my favorite FF, by the way (gotta' love that double Genji Glove with two maxed Atma Weapons Anime hyper = pwnage).

YAY!! Or toss them for fun with Shadow and/or Gogo against Kefka...*reaches for the heart*

Yeah. Mind Game is incredibly inspiring. The style of Animation is so unique also. But the best part is the character developments. You literally WATCH them go through different phases one would usually experience in a life time.

Omg! You play maple Story? Do NOT let that consume your soul. I have friends fail their first semester because of this game...Stay..away.. from the..light!

On that note, awesome job ANN to have the Solty Rei banners up. I so plan to get those DVDs. I encourage everyone to buy it! Experience what Last Exile + BGC 2040 feels like!! <3 Solty

[EDIT: Combined your two posts into one. Please use the EDIT button located at the top right of the post next time. Thanks. -TK]

Last edited by Lord Kefka on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Any series that hasn't made it to the US is underrated. I should know, since I've seen series some friends there haven't. Guys, you're missing lots of great series Anime cry (although well, Colombia's really low on anime -_-U)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Most of my unknown favorites are manga, but an anime not many people know of that I love is called Petite Princess Yucie. It by GAINAX, and it's about a girl named Yuci who looks ten, even though she's seventeen. One day, she hears about the Eternal Tiara, which will grant any wish you want if you obtain it by becoming the Platinum Princess. Yucie's wish is to become an adult. She, along with four other girls, becomes a Platinum Princess candidate. The charcters are all interesting, especially Glenda, the Princess of the Demon World and the second Platinum Princess candidate. I was dissapointed the ending the first time I watched, but I liked it more the second time through. It's none the less a GAINAX ending.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2