• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Time and Eternity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
My copy finally arrived yesterday and I played about 2 hours. Yeah, I can see the issues some people might have with the gameplay... it doesn't bother me much but there are some things that probably could have been done better. But beyond that, I'm really liking it so far. Toki is great, and Towa is pretty good too. Their friends are all fun as well, and theres a lot of great seiyuu working in this cast... it really is pretty much like an anime (well a low budget anime). Its just enough for me to hear Kana Hana talking in such a cute way to enjoy myself though, but I guess that might not be enough for others. Anyway I'm happy with my purchase.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
My copy finally arrived yesterday and I played about 2 hours. Yeah, I can see the issues some people might have with the gameplay... it doesn't bother me much but there are some things that probably could have been done better. But beyond that, I'm really liking it so far. Toki is great, and Towa is pretty good too. Their friends are all fun as well, and theres a lot of great seiyuu working in this cast... it really is pretty much like an anime (well a low budget anime). Its just enough for me to hear Kana Hana talking in such a cute way to enjoy myself though, but I guess that might not be enough for others. Anyway I'm happy with my purchase.

How can poor gameplay not bother you? Voice actors don't really add anything to a game. I doubt 10 million Americans played Super Mario World, for aesthetic reasons like voice acting, since there was no voice acting, but for the gameplay and great, yet also complex level designs. Not to mention, the smooth controls and the array of powerups. What does Ms Hana Kana offer, that brings any objective value to this game, you are playing? If you want her so bad, go watch the Monogatari series or something.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Because it's cute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

How can poor gameplay not bother you? Voice actors don't really add anything to a game. I doubt 10 million Americans played Super Mario World, for aesthetic reasons like voice acting, since there was no voice acting, but for the gameplay and great, yet also complex level designs. Not to mention, the smooth controls and the array of powerups. What does Ms Hana Kana offer, that brings any objective value to this game, you are playing? If you want her so bad, go watch the Monogatari series or something.

I probably just play video games for different reasons than you do. Plus, audio is very important to me.. I'll drop a game I would otherwise like quite a bit (like Atelier Ayesha) if it has no sub or a bad dub. So while voices might not matter to you, they do to me.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, doublepost.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Because it's cute.

Based on years of his replies I'd say 'because cute anime girls' is 99.9% of RyanSaotome's motivation for or reasoning behind pretty much all of his opinions.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome I understand how you feel, Ryan. I have tried to watch Gundam 0083 in its original Japanese format for quite some time, but I have not found a website which offers said OVA in Japanese with English subtitles, since the dub is very old and bad, but the difference is, Gundam 0083 is an anime. The Atelier franchise are game series. So while it may be necessary to hunt for the original track for anime, for game localization, pretty much all important game features are retained, such as levels and game modes and hidden modes. Also, what you have to realize is that video games are a distinct art form from movies and animation. While games incorporate both, the essence of a game is to be played for what it is. To strip a game of the gameplay renders it little more than just an interactive movie. While your favorite seiyuu might be good for anime and in some cases make the anime(I.E Maaya Sakamoto in Escaflowne or Koichi Yamadera in Cowboy Bebop), they shouldn't be necessary for you to enjoy a game, since voice acting is nothing more than an extra. You have to keep in mind that full voice acting in games isn't even 25 years old.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I know games haven't had voices forever, I've been playing games since the NES era... but its just one of those things I really can't go without these days as I've adjusted to how games have changed. When nearly every game out there is now fully voiced, its just tough to play games that aren't.

And regarding the gameplay thing, its never been very important to me... I grew up pretty much only playing JRPGs.. back during the SNES/Genesis era, my favorite games were Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Shining Force 2, Lufia 2, Earthbound, Phantasy Star 4, etc. None of those games "Focused" on gameplay, they focused on story, characters, music, etc. Basically, it was more about the experience than the gameplay. And even now, I look at games as more of an experience instead of just something where all you care about is just the Gameplay itself. So for Time and Eternity, sure the gameplay isn't very good, but the other things it offers makes up for that and still gives me a fun experience.

Also, in response to the "Interactive movie" comment... yes, I'd like them to be interactive movies. I recently played Walking Dead after buying it off a Steam sale and fell in love with it because it didn't force me to go around shooting on my own, it focused on the story and the characters and let me make choices to determine how the story went. Thats the kinda stuff I really love, not the action stuff.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
The more and more I see about how bad this game is, The more I want to try it.

Laughing

I'm sure GameStop or Half Price Books will have it used and cheap soon. It's all ready down to 45...
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I grew up pretty much only playing JRPGs.. back during the SNES/Genesis era, my favorite games were Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Shining Force 2, Lufia 2, Earthbound, Phantasy Star 4, etc. None of those games "Focused" on gameplay, they focused on story, characters, music, etc. Basically, it was more about the experience than the gameplay.

There were a lot of technological limitations on how complex games could be back in the day. Which isn't to say that mechanics weren't important--personally I think CT's combat was way better than FFIV, for example. But SNES cames could not be as complex as a PS3 game can.

Plus, there's also the nostalgia factor. I just like certain games way more than I should because I played them when I was a kid with infinite time . The best example I can think of is in FF1. If you attacked an enemy and it died before the attack hit, rather than hit the next enemy, you'd get "attack ineffective." In hindsight, this was rather annoying. Likewise, only being able to carry a small amount of potions or use magic a couple times per rest also was not fun.

All of that is to say... it was a different time.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome Then why do you play video games if you don't care about the gameplay? Wanting games to be like low budget movies and having story/characters take precedence contradict the purpose of gameplay. It's kinda like the Attitude Era of WWF. People say it was so good for trivial things like boobs and "swearing" and blood, rather than wrestling. That's because the Attitude Era didn't really have any good wrestling matches, save a few. It was intense, yes, but the wrestling compared to the New Generation Era of 1994-1998 wrestling[/b] wise, the later was infinitely superior. Likewise, in games, you should be playing games, because they're games.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Likewise, in games, you should be playing games, because they're games.

Speak for yourself Confused Story and characters are part of a game to me especially in an RPG. I wouldn't care one bit about Chrono Trigger if the setting, story, characters, and everything else was terrible or unappealing to me. A lot of the time those go hand in hand with the game-play, from the aesthetics of characters in your party to their combat style and a buncha other stuff. Saying story and characters have little place in games so it's okay to throw something unremarkable out there is why the industry is so terrible right now. If I don't care one bit about the story or characters in an RPG I generally end up giving up on them like I did games like Skyrim which bored me to tears with its bland story and characters.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
@BonusStage The reason the industry is terrible is because people like YOU play games for reasons outside their intention, like storytelling and graphics, rather than gameplay and level design. Gameplay comes first, no matter what genre of game a game happens to be. Simple as. Also, I'm not surprised you'd say Skyrim sucks. Given your track record of showing disdain of anything not from Japan, I can't say I'm surprised with that one bit.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@BonusStage The reason the industry is terrible is because people like YOU play games for reasons outside their intention, like storytelling and graphics, rather than gameplay and level design. Gameplay comes first, no matter what genre of game a game happens to be. Simple as. Also, I'm not surprised you'd say Skyrim sucks. Given your track record of showing disdain of anything not from Japan, I can't say I'm surprised with that. one bit.

I find it funny you're defending Skyrim when its an example of a really good game that has bad gameplay but makes up for it in other ways. Like I said before, gameplay is only one part of the overall package.. and really, what makes good gameplay differs from person to person. People tell me Uncharted has amazing gameplay, but the first game bored me to tears and I dropped it halfway through since it wasn't fun at all to me... yet Neptunia Victory is my 2nd favorite game of the year and I was totally addicted to it. Thats probably a minority opinion, but it just shows that different people view what makes a game fun differently.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome Maybe it's because I grew up in a different time period the 80s-90s, that's why gameplay always reigns supreme for me. I grew up with the N64, Sega Saturn(bombed in the States, but I still got it), NES, Gameboy and Gameboy Color, PS1, Dreamcast, Sega Mega System, SNES and Genesis and I feel those games empathized the gameplay more than games of today. Call it nostalgia, but I can't get into games, which have a focus more on aesthetics like voice acting and storytelling, rather than level design, action and gameplay. That's why I can pop in my Saturn and play Street Fighter Alpha 2 more than I can pop BlazBlue in my PS3, since Street Fighter Alpha just seems more satisfying. Same with Super Mario RPG and Doom. I would play those games anyday over Final Fantasy XIII-2 or Call of Duty Black Ops 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7