• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendations for anime that both guys and gals will enjoy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would know since I buy two exact copies of anime. One sub, other Dub.

You buy Japanese DVDs? Why? They're way too expensive, and the North American DVD releases have the option to watch the show in Japanese, and more episodes per disc.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
I would know since I buy two exact copies of anime. One sub, other Dub.

You buy Japanese DVDs? Why? They're way too expensive, and the North American DVD releases have the option to watch the show in Japanese, and more episodes per disc.

Well, when I say buy, I'm not using my money, but my parents Very Happy . That means I really don't buy any anime, my parents do for me. The reason I ask my parents’ to buy me two is so I can make a profit when I sell the dub, and eventually the sub. Everyone wins, well, only me. I get anime without spending a dime, and I increase my "income" by spending my "free" anime DVDs. However, most of the time I keep the sub because I like the Japanese language and I want to learn to speak it. Also, Sub DVDs do not always worth more than Dub DVDs. I don’t know about anywhere else, but on amazon.com and in America, it’s the opposite. Japan’s stuff sells for less money in America. In America, sub DVDs tend to be sold 5-10 dollars less than the dub 24$ value. Inuyasha and Getbackers are perfect examples.

In the future, if I get uninterested in anime, I would like to think that I have the sub so that when I sell all my anime DVDs in on ebay, I might get more money(they are crazy people on ebay that love anime). If that doesn’t work, I’ll be hustling and you’ll find me at your local corner store Twisted Evil .
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
What, so I'm some kind of xenophobic Stepford Wife that can only stand to listen to the English language because I'm intolerant to all things Japanese and want no part of their demonic, non English speaking culture? I am a girl, and I listen to subs. Most anime fans prefer subs, regardless of their gender. However, many new anime fans prefer listening to dubs over subs. Perhaps the women you are basing your dub-only stereotype on are simply casual fans, but don’t take it as a fact that females overall like anime less then men. That train of thought makes you a bigoted jerk.

While I fully agree that vickeyv is being a bigoted jerk, the part of the quote I've put in bold is also making some possibly false assumptions. It might be accurate to say that most hard-core anime fans prefer subs, or most who are active on online boards prefer subs, but even those two may not be true. Sales figures have repeatedly shown that undubbed anime sells very poorly (at least in the U.S., anyway) compared to dubbed anime, even if the dub job is bad, so there has to be a huge number of primarily or exclusively dub fans out there who never speak up in forums.

Heck, based just on the various "sub vs. dub" threads I've seen around here over the past couple of years, I'd estimate that there's no worse than a 50/50 split between those favoring dubs and favoring subs, with a lot in the middle, and the balance might even recently be moving slightly in favor of dubs.

NOTE: This is NOT intended to get a sub/dub debate going, just make a point. And to stay on topic, in my personal experience female otaku tend to favor subs slightly more than male otaku but it's pretty close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Calm down well if you had read the rest of the thread i sorta clarifified that, it was not supposed to be taken in that way. I wasn't saying that females are dumb or anything just saying they that logicaly they tune into dubbed anime because its a superior product for their type of programming, again read the rest.

What, so I'm some kind of xenophobic Stepford Wife that can only stand to listen to the English language because I'm intolerant to all things Japanese and want no part of their demonic, non English speaking culture? I am a girl, and I listen to subs. Most anime fans prefer subs, regardless of their gender. However, many new anime fans prefer listening to dubs over subs. Perhaps the women you are basing your dub-only stereotype on are simply casual fans, but don’t take it as a fact that females overall like anime less then men. That train of thought makes you a bigoted jerk.

Yeah i know i am acting like a jerk, when you bash subed anime thats what you are doing, but you are sorta doing the same, so jerk back at you.
Calm down already, first i get called a sexist and now a bigoted jerk, c mon its not like you are making any sort of positve statments your self. That comes out rather stupid. Yes i was baseing my theory on casual fans since there are more of them compared to women who are just as much of a fan than a male, i never once denied that there are feamles who are nuts about anime.
You your self are stateing garbage by saying that MOST ANIME FANS perfer subs. Now that comes out rather ignorant and lame.
You claim that you are an equal fan to a male, then act like one.
The only hint of a constructive argument in your post was the "Most anime fans perfer subs" and that two was utter rubbish.
So all thats left of your post is just plain insulting. So what the hell am i left to think about you.
Correct your facts.
The people of Japan see non-subbed anime, non-subbed anime is aired on American TV and non-subbed anime is aired on most other networks showing anime in other countires. WHy becasue there are more fans of non-subbed anime, otherwise they would lose ratings. Also just like the guy said market statistics show that dubbed anime sells more, so what more do you need.
Really next time you wanna act like non-Xenophobic stepford wife, prove it by not making false quotations like that.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I attempted to quote your post and correct your grammar errors, but it was almost as impossible to read as the original text, so I gave up. Spellcheck your messages and refrain from using chatspeak, as it is not tolerated in these forums. Don’t get me wrong, I'm not some kind of teen hating, ageist adult, but it bothers me to see people my own age (assuming you are a teenager) mutilate the English language into incomprehensible “internet slang”.

First of all, I'm not bashing subbed anime. It's your mislead idea that all female fans enjoy dubbed anime that I disagree with. Yes, I was making a false assumption stating that anime fans in general prefer subs. I'll admit I was wrong there, since I supposed most casual anime fans would prefer to listen to shows in a language they can understand so they won't have to be distracted by reading subtitles. What I'm trying to say is that fans that are "hard-core" enough to want to join an anime club have most likely passed through the language barrier and enjoy watching anime in the original Japanese language.

I think the poor sales of sub only anime can partly be attributed to people who watch anime fansubbed who don't feel motivated to buy the domestic release because of the lack of extra content. I watched the entire series of Loveless fansubbed and have yet to purchase the DVDs because aside from the lack of a dub, there aren't any extra features like interviews or translation notes. (It's on my to-do list, though. I liked this series very much, and I want to support it. I just don't have the extra cash to buy $20+ DVDs I'm only going to watch two or three times.) I do enjoy watching series with good dubs, and I'm not the dub-hater you're making me out to be. I just prefer subs more, like 55.3% of the people who took this poll, as opposed to the meager 10.5% who prefer dubs.

You say, "You claim that you are an equal fan to a male, then act like one." So male anime fans don't feel a need to retaliate when they feel they've been insulted? Check in your pants, little boy, and see where your penis has run off too. When I called you a "bigoted jerk", you responded by calling me "ignorant" and "lame". You're not acting much different then me.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
I would know since I buy two exact copies of anime. One sub, other Dub. Why I buy two copies of the same anime? I sell the dub for like 20-25 bucks each or I sell it on ebay. Lucky some people are embarrassed to buy anime.
Just how many anime come out that have two distinct copies, one dubbed in English, and one in Japanese with subtitles? Aside from a couple of obscure sub-only Media-Blasters releases, all the anime I have is dual-language DVDs...are you sure that this "sub" anime isn't Hong Kong bootleg DVDs of anime that hasn't been released in R1 (and thus only have the Japanese track)? And the only recent dub-only DVDs are series that have been edited for TV and released the same way on DVD.
And on the anime club issue, the club I go to generally takes votes from the audience before starting a given anime (assuming a dub is available). Subs generally win out, unless it's something like Ghost Stories where the dub is known to be interesting, funny, or otherwise high-quality.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Actually the only other option that goes against dubs is "In Japanese (I understand Japanese enough to not need subs)" which clocked in at 1.7%. The others could be added up in favor of dubs. The pure fact that your answer was in the clear majority(55.3%) is proof enough to prove your point. You probably should have only mentioned that instead, otherwise it becomes confusing.

(I am not trying to nit-pick, in fact I think i just had a flash-back to a statisics class I took back when I was in school.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vickeyv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I attempted to quote your post and correct your grammar errors, but it was almost as impossible to read as the original text, so I gave up.

Oh the agony i put you through. My deepest pleasures.
Btw the reason i didn't spell check is because, honestly i don’t think its worth doing it chatting to, using your own words, a Xenophobic Stepford Wife. Personally i do not care. And as far as the forum is concerned yes i do take care of my spelling and slang’s, its just that I just don’t feel like taking the extra time conversing such a boring conversation.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm not some kind of teen hating, ageist adult, but it bothers me to see people my own age (assuming you are a teenager) mutilate the English language into incomprehensible “internet slang”.

Yeah i know you aren’t that. But you are a very boring and lame person who can only insult people, and your posts don’t even have a single constructive argument.

First of all, I'm not bashing subbed anime. It's your mislead idea that all female fans enjoy dubbed anime that I disagree with. Yes, I was making a false assumption stating that anime fans in general prefer subs. I'll admit I was wrong there, since I supposed most casual anime fans would prefer to listen to shows in a language they can understand so they won't have to be distracted by reading subtitles. What I'm trying to say is that fans that are "hard-core" enough to want to join an anime club have most likely passed through the language barrier and enjoy watching anime in the original Japanese language.

Wow another major assumption by the Xenophobe. Come on, just when did Anime clubs only have people who are "hard-core" enough. Really what the hell do you know about Anime.
Firstly you barge in here accusing me without a shred of positive argument and the only arguments you stated so far are:
1. Most fans are fans of subbed
which is entirely wrong
2. Fans who are "hard-core" enough join Anime clubs.
which is also entirely wrong since practically any one with a shred of interest in Anime joins such clubs all over,

I think the poor sales of sub only anime can partly be attributed to people who watch anime fansubbed who don't feel motivated to buy the domestic release because of the lack of extra content. I watched the entire series of Loveless fansubbed and have yet to purchase the DVDs because aside from the lack of a dub, there aren't any extra features like interviews or translation notes. (It's on my to-do list, though. I liked this series very much, and I want to support it. I just don't have the extra cash to buy $20+ DVDs I'm only going to watch two or three times.) I do enjoy watching series with good dubs, and I'm not the dub-hater you're making me out to be. I just prefer subs more,

Again another attempt at an argument and again it falls flat on its face.

Its not that the extras are less its that you want it for free.
Cheap people like you, who want to steal from the studio and the artists who slaved countless hours to make the anime, say stuff like that.

That’s a typical excuse of thieves. A DVD release will never be good enough for the likes of you.
People will always bitch about some thing say the dub acting, the art work on the boxes and DVD covers, and now the extras. Such thieves like you can never be pleased to buy the original Anime.
So $20+ is too much for you, it takes thousands of dollars for
1.Licencing
2.Distribution
3.And going through all the hoops
And in the end $20 is more than affordable for something like Anime.
Thousands of Pictures have to be drawn by people, but their handy work is never good enough for you is it.

I just prefer subs more, like 55.3% of the people who took this poll, as opposed to the meager 10.5% who prefer dubs.

That survey is completely inconclusive. It only contains a bracket of around 2,000 people, where as the fanbase of Anime fans in America is hundreds of thousands.
Unless you get a survey from all of them this little survey of Anime News Network is not going to prove anything.
It actually proves the point that Hard-core anime fans like subs more than dubs, since looking at the posts these people make it can be easily judged that they are Hard-Core fans.
Anime is not only for Hard-core fans its for every body and every type of Anime fans joins these Anime clubs.

You say, "You claim that you are an equal fan to a male, then act like one." So male anime fans don't feel a need to retaliate when they feel they've been insulted? Check in your pants, little boy, and see where your penis has run off too. When I called you a "bigoted jerk", you responded by calling me "ignorant" and "lame". You're not acting much different then me.

Seriously what the hell is that going to do by insulting me like that. And as far as the running off part is concerned you should.....oh god i can't do this, you see I don't usually get into insulting conversations with older women so….eeeerrrr. in the end you are an adult, despite the fact that you know jack about Anime and that your posts like arguments, I think I will still respect you and refrain for using such dirty language.

In the end all your posts conatin are
1. Insults
2. Made up arguments
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:
which is also entirely wrong since practically any one with a shred of interest in Anime joins such clubs all over

Not true, at least not in my experience. Over 50% of my school is at least somewhat interested in anime, and yet, our anime club only has about 10 members. I don't believe you have to be a "hard-core" anime fan to join anime clubs, but usually, people that I know of that join anime clubs have more than just a "shred of interest" in anime.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh the agony i put you through. My deepest pleasures.
Btw the reason i didn't spell check is because, honestly i don’t think its worth doing it chatting to, using your own words, a Xenophobic Stepford Wife. Personally i do not care. And as far as the forum is concerned yes i do take care of my spelling and slang’s, its just that I just don’t feel like taking the extra time conversing such a boring conversation.

You obviously care at least somewhat about this "boring conversation" becasue you are continuing this argument, and are typing up quite lengthy posts, at that. And your opening two sentences are quite immature.

Quote:
Yeah i know you aren’t that. But you are a very boring and lame person who can only insult people, and your posts don’t even have a single constructive argument.

It seems YOU can only insult people as well, with your constant bickering of me being "boring
and "lame". This is so childish, it's like your a step away from pointing at me and chanting "Doodyface, doodyface!" Use a thesaurus, call me something creative!

Quote:

Wow another major assumption by the Xenophobe. Come on, just when did Anime clubs only have people who are "hard-core" enough. Really what the hell do you know about Anime.

I attempted to join an anime club just recently, and felt so alienated by how obsessive every person in the club was that I left. In my experience, at least, (note that I put that in bold, I am not stating this as fact to ALL anime clubs, this is just what happened to me) these kids were the "I have to get all the merchandise! I have to write the best fanfiction!! I have to make the greatest AMV!" type of fans. Your statement that began this argument, that female anime fans do not watch subs because it is "superior for their type of programming" leads me to believe that you have never joined an anime club, (again, I could be wrong, but you have not shown any evidence that you have at least attended one club meeting. If you have, I would like you to correct me and share your experience, so I can see that you have something valid to base your side of the argument on.) because if you said this to these girls, they would kick you out of there FAST.

Quote:
Firstly you barge in here accusing me without a shred of positive argument and the only arguments you stated so far are:
1. Most fans are fans of subbed
which is entirely wrong

Yes, I realize I jumped to conclusions on this. I attempted to apologize for this in my previous post.

Quote:
2. Fans who are "hard-core" enough join Anime clubs.
which is also entirely wrong since practically any one with a shred of interest in Anime joins such clubs all over,

Quote:
Not true, at least not in my experience. Over 50% of my school is at least somewhat interested in anime, and yet, our anime club only has about 10 members. I don't believe you have to be a "hard-core" anime fan to join anime clubs, but usually, people that I know of that join anime clubs have more than just a "shred of interest" in anime.

Although frentymon and I have had similar experiences experiences, you seem to know so much more about anime clubs. You can add a lot to yuor argument by sharing your experiences, and this would be a good time to do so. I'm not tyring to fight you at this point, I just want to resolve this.

I think the poor sales of sub only anime can partly be attributed to people who watch anime fansubbed who don't feel motivated to buy the domestic release because of the lack of extra content. I watched the entire series of Loveless fansubbed and have yet to purchase the DVDs because aside from the lack of a dub, there aren't any extra features like interviews or translation notes. (It's on my to-do list, though. I liked this series very much, and I want to support it. I just don't have the extra cash to buy $20+ DVDs I'm only going to watch two or three times.) I do enjoy watching series with good dubs, and I'm not the dub-hater you're making me out to be. I just prefer subs more,

Quote:
Again another attempt at an argument and again it falls flat on its face.

Its not that the extras are less its that you want it for free.
Cheap people like you, who want to steal from the studio and the artists who slaved countless hours to make the anime, say stuff like that. That’s a typical excuse of thieves. A DVD release will never be good enough for the likes of you.
People will always bitch about some thing say the dub acting, the art work on the boxes and DVD covers, and now the extras. Such thieves like you can never be pleased to buy the original Anime.
So $20+ is too much for you, it takes thousands of dollars for
1.Licencing
2.Distribution
3.And going through all the hoops
And in the end $20 is more than affordable for something like Anime.
Thousands of Pictures have to be drawn by people, but their handy work is never good enough for you is it.

No, extra features always play a large part in my purchases. Although I saw the entire series of Sukisho fansubbed, I bought the DVDs because I heard the radio dramas included as extras were hilarious. Although I borrowed the entire Platinum Evangelion series and movies Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion from Blockbuster, I ended up buying both the collection and the movies because of the thought provoking audio commentaries. I have a two dollar weekly allowance, and my parents are in a bad situation because my dad is an inventor that couldn't get his project off the ground and ended up losing a LOT of money, but he thought it would be a major success so he sent all of us to an expensive private school that he can't afford, and works a shitty car repair job working his ass off to put food on the table. I WANT to support the anime industry in America, and I do what I can afford to do.

Quote:

That survey is completely inconclusive. It only contains a bracket of around 2,000 people, where as the fanbase of Anime fans in America is hundreds of thousands.
Unless you get a survey from all of them this little survey of Anime News Network is not going to prove anything.
It actually proves the point that Hard-core anime fans like subs more than dubs, since looking at the posts these people make it can be easily judged that they are Hard-Core fans.
Anime is not only for Hard-core fans its for every body and every type of Anime fans joins these Anime clubs.

Yes, you are right here. Only a few thousand people participated in this survey, and really do point out that hard-core fans watch subs, since it's LIKELY (note that I am not stateing this as fact, I'm just drawing conclusions from the information presented here.) that the majority of people who regualrly visit ANN are "big fans".

Quote:
Seriously what the hell is that going to do by insulting me like that. And as far as the running off part is concerned you should.....oh god i can't do this, you see I don't usually get into insulting conversations with older women so….eeeerrrr. in the end you are an adult, despite the fact that you know jack about Anime and that your posts like arguments, I think I will still respect you and refrain for using such dirty language.

My age: 13. Just turned 13 in February, actually. I know that usually shocks people on the internet when I tell them that, since I'm not your stereotypical "OMG KAWAII" fangirl that my age is usually represented by. I type on internet forums a lot, and I've honed my writing skills to a point I, as well as others, (and I have proof of this since you, yourself jumped to false conclusions by assuming I'm an adult) consider to be beyond my age.

Quote:
In the end all your posts conatin are
1. Insults
2. Made up arguments

Yes, I may have in insulted you, and looking back on it that penis remark was very embarrassing on my part, but I'm basing my arguments on my real-life experiences. To me, it’s your arguments that seem based on made-up knowledge. And if you want me to take you seriously, improving your grammar wouldn’t hurt.

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I would never have guessed that you are 13, Wolverine Princess. Even discounting the stereotypical fangirl thing, 13-year-olds who are as articulate as you in their writing are rare. (And I can attest to that from extensive personal experience, since I am a high school teacher.) Heck, I know a lot of adults who aren't as articulate and mature in their writing as you are.

That being said, the commentary in this thread needs to be toned down if you guys don't want it locked. I've already reported this thread once for the language and insults being thrown around. Wolverine Princess seems at least headed in the right direction on this, and you need to follow, vickeyv. I've already made one comment in this thread that I shouldn't have, so I'm going to restrain myself from this point out, too.

And incidentally, vickeyv, you don't get to ignore forum grammar standards just because you don't think the person you're exchanging messages with is worth the effort.

(My apologies to the mods if this comes across as back-seat moderating, but I thought something had to be said.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vickeyv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote

You obviously care at least somewhat about this "boring conversation" becasue you are continuing this argument, and are typing up quite lengthy posts, at that. And your opening two sentences are quite immature.

Well your closing in the last post was extremely immature as well, perhaps even for a 13 year old. Seriously how the hell can you go around making comments like that to people you barely know on the internet. Well I suppose its ok, there are other people on forums which get to doing stuff like that so I won’t be surprised if their negative influences rubbed on you.
[quote=”Wolverine Princess”]It seems YOU can only insult people as well, with your constant bickering of me being "boring
and "lame". This is so childish, it's like your a step away from pointing at me and chanting "Doodyface, doodyface!" Use a thesaurus, call me something creative! [/quote]
Ok yeah actually I am proud to use childish insults, it keeps me away from swear words and stuff, and its sort of my strategy to stay away from using such corrosive language. You should try that as well. Btw "Doodyface!" "Doodyface!"

I attempted to join an anime club just recently, and felt so alienated by how obsessive every person in the club was that I left. In my experience, at least, (note that I put that in bold, I am not stating this as fact to ALL anime clubs, this is just what happened to me) these kids were the "I have to get all the merchandise! I have to write the best fanfiction!! I have to make the greatest AMV!" type of fans. Your statement that began this argument, that female anime fans do not watch subs because it is "superior for their type of programming" leads me to believe that you have never joined an anime club, (again, I could be wrong, but you have not shown any evidence that you have at least attended one club meeting. If you have, I would like you to correct me and share your experience, so I can see that you have something valid to base your side of the argument on.) because if you said this to these girls, they would kick you out of there FAST.

Yeah i am getting a feeling that i would be kicked out, so thanks for the prior warning, yes i haven't officially joined a club, but i have a circle of friends how are into anime and so far the females i have showed anime subbed consider it ok and good, but when i have shown them dubbed anime they are like this is the best show i have ever seen. So the most likely conclusion i reached was that Females receive Dubbed anime better. I know such mind sets etc vary,
In the end you roam around in a surrounding where subbed anime is the thing and in mine its dubbed.

And btw about their programming I meant Shoujou Anime. Even an idiot can tell that by large the artwork etc is done very meticulously in Shoujou Anime, and this is done to make it sell it more, since its the most arractive feature of the Shoujou Anime. Without the sublime artwork the story won't be received the same way. For example the reason why Angelic Layer is rated so highly by people and on the net is because of the sublime artwork, the concept is pretty much standard Pokemonish, as in non-lethal battles with creatures, in this case dolls.
And its pure logic to assume that the sublime artwork in all its originality is better than a version with, a white strip of words cluttering the screen and not having you to trace your eyes up and down to enjoy its biggest attraction.
Yes there are exceptions, when people just perfer the Subbed version because its free, but purely from a logicaly point of view----the dubbed version is better...........
Really I kept taking names of Shojou animes and asked you to rate animation quality you would give 10/10 in 90% of the cases.

Although frentymon and I have had similar experiences experiences, you seem to know so much more about anime clubs. You can add a lot to your argument by sharing your experiences, and this would be a good time to do so. I'm not trying to fight you at this point, I just want to resolve this.

Well maybe the clubs you and Frentymon went to were bad. Technically an Anime club exists not only to enjoy anime but also to share its love with other people and attract other fans as well. You make it sound like a gathering ground for "Hard-Core" fans. Which is absolutely wrong. The founding principles that i have read in Anime clubs include that it exists to increase popularity of Anime and make it widespread.
I seriously beleive thats the way to go, since Anime is well received by a small minority of TV watchers and Anime clubs should make and effort to make it more popular in their institutions by incorporating more and more casual fans.

No, extra features always play a large part in my purchases. Although I saw the entire series of Sukisho fansubbed, I bought the DVDs because I heard the radio dramas included as extras were hilarious. Although I borrowed the entire Platinum Evangelion series and movies Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion from Blockbuster, I ended up buying both the collection and the movies because of the thought provoking audio commentaries. I have a two dollar weekly allowance, and my parents are in a bad situation because my dad is an inventor that couldn't get his project off the ground and ended up losing a LOT of money, but he thought it would be a major success so he sent all of us to an expensive private school that he can't afford, and works a shitty car repair job working his ass off to put food on the table. I WANT to support the anime industry in America, and I do what I can afford to do.

Well I have had similar experiences in my life, so you aren't alone. In the end my strategy was to just study my ass of since that was the only way I could thank my parents for all they have done for me and yes I would feel ashamed as well if I went out and spent all their hard earned money on entertainment. But I keep telling my self to strive harder and buy all the amines that I have watched Fan subbed when I get a job, which I will soon. Since I believe its wrong to enjoy a series and then not invest in it.
And even boosting up the special features will still not be good enough to get the greater chunk of fansub watchers, since there do exist people who watch anime simply because its for free. I have this friends who is pretty well off and he loves animes but only watches DVD-rips not even fansubs, he refuses to invest into it because its available for free.

Yes, I may have in insulted you, and looking back on it that penis remark was very embarrassing on my part, but I'm basing my arguments on my real-life experiences. To me, it’s your arguments that seem based on made-up knowledge. And if you want me to take you seriously, improving your grammar wouldn’t hurt.

Well my argument the earlier one was too vague about the superior programming one and i can only properly prove it when i can show you both subbed versions of Shojou anime and then dubbed versions of them in real life and then nit pick on certain points and critically dissect parts of it. But on the Internet with out such evidence its practically impossible so I guess I will withdraw.
The rest of my arguments were just counter rebuttals to your rebuttals. And yeah since this conversation is getting quite interesting I guess I will. Sorry for the mood-swings.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
vickeyv wrote:

And its pure logic to assume that the sublime artwork in all its originality is better than a version with, a white strip of words cluttering the screen and not having you to trace your eyes up and down to enjoy its biggest attraction.
Yes there are exceptions, when people just perfer the Subbed version because its free, but purely from a logicaly point of view----the dubbed version is better...........

Only in your opinion is it pure logic. And please quit saying the only draw of subbed anime is that it's 'free'. That's the draw of fansubbed anime. I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on my anime collection, including some sub-only DVDs. Please quit implying that all sub watchers are thieves. It's an inaccurate and offensive statement.

And your statement is still only logical from your point of view. For me, subs are logically better because they require me to focus more on what's on the screen, therefore I see more of the artwork. When I watch something with English vocals (this includes movies and television), I tend to just listen. When I watch something in another language (anime or otherwise) I see more of the artwork, because even while I do have to glance down at the subtitles (that only take up a very small part of the bottom of the screen, not cluttering the whole thing), I'm more likely to be intently focused on what I'm viewing and not just what I'm hearing.

While I know that is an exceptional case, you need to realize that exceptional cases are not just people who only watch fansubs. It also includes people who get more out of an anime when viewing it subtitled legitimately, those who simply have fallen in love with the voices of certain seiyuu, and those who quite frankly enjoy hearing shows not in their native tongue (I also watch variety shows in Hindi, Chinese, movies in French, etc...all either on television or legitimate DVDs, and own many French pop cds.)

You've stated your experience. I'm simply asking you to open your mind and realize that everyone's experience and style of viewing is different, and that you shouldn't be so discriminatory and make comments like you have just because people watch subs. That doesn't automatically make them thieves, nor does it mean that they cannot appreciate the artwork. Yes, there are people who only watch fansubs, and even automatically think anything that's been touched by a non-Japanese company is ruined. They're very irritating to deal with, I know. But please don't assume all sub watchers are those people. Thank you.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Um... wow... I haven't read anything past the first page to this day, and look what I find Anime dazed.

Needless to say, I'm sure the author is way past done with his search for recommendations by now. Not to mention the last two pages feel more like a "dub vs. sub" or even "the view of dubs and subs and how people perceive them in conjunction to gender and preference" debates.

I'm not even gonna' touch the material and uh.. "arguments"(?) that were presented since it won't seem to go anywhere anytime soon.

And with that, this thread is locked. Feel free to continue in or start a new thread for this debate, should any of you decide to do so.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5