• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Detroit's Maid Cafe 'Chou Anime' Spotlighted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
You need input from your customers what they would like to see.

I can already guess what the #1 request will be given the vitrol about this.
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Peanut butter goes great with chocolate or jelly. But it still maintains a unique existence as peanut butter. Peanut butter is neither chocolate nor jelly.

Moe is like peanut butter.

Moe is often served with romance and/or sexuality. But it still maintains a unique existence as moe. Moe is neither romance nor sexuality.

Huh. I think I'm going to be using that metaphor in the future.
sburstall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
sburstall wrote:

No kidding. You have to feel sorry for people like this.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
samuelp wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
With the Japanese maid cafes, don't you think that most of it is still inspired by Western ideals?

Actually no, they're far more inspired by classic Japanese ideals.
Think of the classic british or european maid and you'll see the ideal of that is completely different than the "maid" in a maid cafe, which is much more based on the perfect ideal of a japanese wife than anything else (aside from the outf.

I know they're different, but I was mainly talking about the outfit and foods. So yeah. ^^;;

To think that it's not (or has no trace) is a bit naive.

Sorry, but history begs otherwise.

The first recognized Maid cafe was actually only 11 years ago in 2001, call Cure Maid Cafe.
It was started by Cospa, a new company that Broccoli started for selling cosplay outfits.

For at least a decade or more prior there were "Cosplay Cafes" only, where the waitresses dressed up in various fetish costumes.

The new thing about the "maid cafe" was it was supposed to be relaxing and healing (hence the name "cure"), but other than that it wasn't much different from the generic cosplay cafes (and still aren't), and the menus are the same essentially as the original cosplay cafes, there's nothing special about menus at maid cafes, so the food has never had to do with "maids" in particular.

I can't find any evidence that most maid cafes have taken anything from the "ideals of western maids" outside the clothing design, and even that is quite adapted to Japanese taste.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
My response is best summed up as "Dammit Detroit, you've destroyed the goodwill from that Superbowl commercial."
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I can't find any evidence that most maid cafes have taken anything from the "ideals of western maids" outside the clothing design, and even that is quite adapted to Japanese taste.

Call it a hunch, but I'm pretty sure that's what she meant.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
sburstall wrote:

No kidding. You have to feel sorry for people like this.

And as a potential customer myself, image is everything. One/couple of detraction(s) and i'm not walking thru the door/going out the door.

I have no idea how this place can salvage itself given the bad reaction to it.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:

And as a potential customer myself, image is everything. One/couple of detraction(s) and i'm not walking thru the door/going out the door.
I have no idea how this place can salvage itself given the bad reaction to it.

/sigh
do you eat food out of a garbage can? of course, not.

when you open a restaurant - the food needs to taste good -
I'm not saying image is not important but people fundamentally go to a restaurant to eat.

recently we had an in-and-out burger open here in Dallas. cars were lined up for weeks down the road waiting to go in -best 2$ burger- in the world!- everyone says.

So, finally I got around to going and I got my 2$ burger. And it tasted.... like a 2$ burger...
Is it the best? idk, man, that 89cent bean burrito at taco bell is holding me back from being the world's best value. of course, I've never gone back. I'd rather pay 6$ and go to smash burger and get the best 6$ burger in the world.

so what's my point? people always want to try something new. that does not necessarily mean it will be good. image is fun - but it is definitely not everything.

as for the maid cafe______
I know alot of people are making fun of the girls. Obesity is becoming an epidemic mostly due to lack of exercise and poor eating habits or even depression. But that doesn't mean people should not be free to express themselves. Though I would prefer those in public to use some modesty.
Alot of cosplayers want to wear spandex..... dress like mai shiranui or panty and stocking.... there are plenty of ways to dress like your favorite character without wearing tight or revealing clothes.

anyway, a cafe that doesnt serve good food will fail - regardless.
(I sure hope that is not the real menu with granola bars above, lol)

I have given it alot of thought in the past and a maid cafe could do very well - but an oniichan cafe - most likely will not. you need to have broader appeal - a reason for people to come - and serving tea and cookies most likely will not be enough in our current generation.

yet, what all this fuss really is about- people don't want a girl talking intimately and serving them - who is not pretty.

pretty girls cost money.
lots of money....
you want eucliwood or sarasvati to feed you? that's going to cost 19$-32$ per plate...
and you dont get a glass of water.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I'm willing to bet a majority of the people complaining over this aren't the most pleasant to look at either.
tadpolily

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This is cute! Imagine your work involves you dressing as a stereotypically kawaii maid everyday. That'd be kind of fun. Until I see someone I know (like a teacher Shocked awkwaaaarrrrddd).
But I admire their courage!
I can only wonder what type of customers they get though...
I'm sure they will be a mix of cool anime fan's but there is a possibility of the occasional weirdo...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5