• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone familiar with subbing technology?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
I have several anime (and other foreign animation) titles I want to watch. They have been released on DVD in other regions without english subtitles. I want to import them and play them on my mac. I have OS 10.5. I have recently discovered that one can play the disc in the computer while concurrently running special software that can read/apply subtitles on top of the disc.

I have two types of subtitle documents: .srt and .ssa

I am not finding tutorials related to this. Can anyone explain this process to me? what program do I download? Do I play the DVD in Apple's DVD Player utility or another program? How do I execute the .srt /.ssa files?

A walkthrough would be amazing!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well I am most familir with VLC( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download ). All you need to do is play the DVD in VLC and then go to Video > Subtitles Track > Open File... From there just find your SRT file for the movie and open it.

Sorry, but I don't have a Mac. So I don't know if the Apple player has the same menu and options.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
MPlayer can also load subtitles at playtime from separate files(the exact method depends on what frontend, if any, you use - I recommend SMPlayer). In any event, SRT and SSA are read, not executed - they're structured text files, nothing more.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
That's also assuming subtitle files in the correct format are readily available, which is frequently not the case.
White22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well, luckily I have found the files for both DVDs.

I want to import:

Angel's Egg
Gwen, or the Book of Sand

I found the .ssa for the former, .srt for the latter!

So maybe the VLC option is best.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
As long as the file name for the video files and the subtitle files are exactly identical (for arguments' sake let's say you have Fruits_Basket_e01.avi and Fruits_Basket_e01.srt) and they're in the same file directory, VLC should apply the subtitles automatically. I've been using it for years without any problems.
White22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Okay, well, since I'm not downloading these films (which would typically lead to an .avi format or similar) but rather actually buying these from legitimate distributors - how do I go about using VLC to match up the .ssa/.srt files to the DVD?
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Seems to me like you're saying you have unsubtitled DVDs. Is that correct?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
White22 wrote:
Okay, well, since I'm not downloading these films (which would typically lead to an .avi format or similar) but rather actually buying these from legitimate distributors - how do I go about using VLC to match up the .ssa/.srt files to the DVD?

The timing is all in the SRT files. Whenever you open the SRT file your player will display the subtitles that match up to the timing in the file.
00:36:36,969 --> 00:36:40,650
I like Arabic very much...
00:36:41,041 --> 00:36:44,364
It's like Japanese. It's great.

In hours:minutes:seconds,milliseconds the 6th subtitles line will be displayed at the 36min 36sec mark of a movie and the 7th subtitle will be shown at the 36min 41sec mark. But all this is done and it's sync'd for you by whoever made the SRT file.
Lupica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Well, that is what the OP originally implied, yes!

What I usually do is rip the video myself using Handbrake, then you can name the file it makes to match the subtitles and use the subs you have. Some versions of QT will also automatically pick up the subs if they're in the correct format, otherwise VLC is a good choice. This is a neat way of watching homemade subtitles for anime that doesn't have any legal English language edition. If you don't have that much space on your Mac, just delete the ripped version you made after viewing. It doesn't take that long to make it again from the DVD.

If you need to edit the subtitles or change the format, look for an application like Jubler.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
The excellent smplayer (a graphical front-end for mplayer) provides easy control over subtitles. You can speed them up, slow them down, add a positive or negative delay, etc. This can be helpful if the timings in the subtitle file don't exactly correspond to the video source.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
My past attempts to play DVDs alongside external .stl and .sub files have been to varying degrees of success, primarily because adjusting the timing of such files to suit DVD playback proves a bothersome task.

Unless you are so fortunate as to come across a file made to accompany a specific disc whilst it plays, as opposed to a ripped and re-encoded version, you shall need to adjust the timing of subtitles to suit the video. Frame rates are partly to blame, I regret to tell you.

The software yuna49 mentions looks fit for the task, though I can attest that it is less than optimally enjoyable to be watching a DVD whilst simultaneously reconfiguring a ill-fitting subtitle file. (That said, I can nevertheless proclaim to have watched Do You Remember Love? legally and with subtitles — a veritable conquest worthy of boasting about.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I tried doing this years ago with my Japanese Kiddy Grade discs. I had some software, the name of which I forget, which was designed for the purpose. I believe one problem I had at the time was that I was still using a Hollywood+ card for DVD decoding which needed its own specific player. There used to be a site which collecting subtitles files timed specifically for this purpose, but it closed down years ago.

Here we go:
adding subtitles from R1 releases to R2s
Scriptclub gone?
(from the old Anime on DVD R2 forums)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I generally grab my scripts from Subscene, which I assume is a similar ilk of website to the one you were referring to, Shiroi Hane... Albeit more feature-length oriented.

If that's a no-no link, feel free to remove it or whatever... I don't think distribution of scripts is restricted though?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
it is actually a grey area at best - the script is no less protected by copyright than the animation, and the same applies to any derivative works like fansub scripts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1