• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Merchant Evicted from Australian Event

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navitron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Good for them they sould be charged with copyright infringment also I mean selling bootlegs at a convension thats just stupid.
RedComet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Passions will be selling as a vendor at the con going to. I can't wait to report them.
Yukinos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Passion is a vendor at a con that our store vendors for. I passed this news story along to the executives to see what they are going to do next year.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Go them. (The bootleg busters, I mean.) I was really close to ordering off CP about a year or so ago, and back then, I was bought up as an anime fan to believe everything anime in Japan was cheaper than in the U.S. I unfortunately ended up ordering CDs off AnimeCastle... by the way, I know they're pretty big advertisers, but do we have to have those specific ads? I'm not really into hentai. Tho', I guess it doesn't matter if the majority wants otherwise. *sigh*
RedComet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I already reported them to that con near me and they thanked me. You don't read this much in anime news and hopefully we start seeing it more often.
Cosmic Kath

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I had an argument with that vendor over prices at manifest. I'd bought a whole heap of stuff from him earlier, so when i went back to buy something else, i asked if he could do me a deal or something (hey, everyone haggles!)

He made me show him what else i'd bought off him- no big deal, but then he started yelling at me calling me a liar. You only had to look at the packaging to know they were from his stand.

I was glad to see him gone. So glad that I took photos of the empty space he'd occupied:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/cosmic_kath/manny12.jpg
The little bit of paper with the blue peg said the prices were in US dollars, but it was written REALLY lightly and the sign was hidden by all the merchandise he had on the back wall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/cosmic_kath/manny13.jpg

Haha I'm lame Anime hyper
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Wish I could see something similar happen at the local anime con I frequent, but unfortunately the con chair happily sells bootlegs at her own anime store and tells you to mind your own business if you try to discuss it with her... Rolling Eyes

*Sigh*

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
:I think it severs them right those botlegging basterds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Wish I could see something similar happen at the local anime con I frequent, but unfortunately the con chair happily sells bootlegs at her own anime store and tells you to mind your own business if you try to discuss it with her... Rolling Eyes

*Sigh*

Emerje

Strangle that hypocritical moron. How'd she get to be a con chair? Must've slept with someone.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Strangle that hypocritical moron. How'd she get to be a con chair? Must've slept with someone.

No, the con was pretty much her project from the start. She's also a school teacher, some role model, eh?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wowo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
On the other side of the story, apparently this merchant was charging lower than Australian rates. Some jealous rivals found this pretty bad for business and decided to convict him for selling bootlegs. The committee ousted him without a thorough investigation of his goods.

And as for the guy being rude, I can't blame him if you're surrounded by rabid otakus for 12 hours asking him for prices and haggling, who wouldn't?

And seriously, you think those stores that sell them keychains, pencil boards, and manga that are supposed to be sold ONLY in Singapore are not bootleggers? I really doubt half of the stuff sold there are genuine anime merchandise anyway. =.=
guiltyschu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other side of the story, apparently this merchant was charging lower than Australian rates. Some jealous rivals found this pretty bad for business and decided to convict him for selling bootlegs. The committee ousted him without a thorough investigation of his goods.

And as for the guy being rude, I can't blame him if you're surrounded by rabid otakus for 12 hours asking him for prices and haggling, who wouldn't?

And seriously, you think those stores that sell them keychains, pencil boards, and manga that are supposed to be sold ONLY in Singapore are not bootleggers? I really doubt half of the stuff sold

I ran afoul of him at Brisbane's Supanova this year, and while he had plenty of (authentic) stuff that I wanted, he pulled the 'US Dollars' stunt on me. It was really disappointing, finding out that my original $30 of merchandise was going to cost me $50. My mother was with me at the time and demanded he put up a sign notifying people if he was going to pull a stunt like that, and he put up this pathetic little piece of A4 paper right at the back of the store in blue biro that was practically illegible. I cringe to think how many other people fell into the same trap as me.

Then later this year, not realising it was the same vendor, my mother tried to order from their online shop, and they sent her incorrect and inferior stock. All of her e-mails to them have gone unanswered. They're a Yahoo shop (well, their review form is a Yahoo one), and we complained to Yahoo who also e-mailed them, and didn't get a reply.

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is, bootlegged items or not, rabid otaku or not, Cartoon Passion are not good people, and they exploit anime fans. I could overlook their poor customer service if they'd been willing to refund my mother's purchase, and had properly labled their goods, but as it is, they did/have done neither. I'm nearly always ready to play devil's advocate, but in this case I'd never recommend them to anyone, and if I see them at Animania in Sydney next weekend, I'm going to be doing my best to report them.
L0ki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
I lol'd at this post.

wowo wrote:

As far as I hear CP was approached several times on Saturday to remove bootleg items from sale, all of which were met with complete disrespect for the committee investigating the merchandise and the items were not removed at any point during the day.
In the past I've heard that any other vendors approached about bootlegs have removed the items from sale, CP did not.

wowo wrote:

I'm no genius, but quite likely every other vendor which wasn't evicted for such behaviour.

wowo wrote:
And seriously, you think those stores that sell them keychains, pencil boards, and manga that are supposed to be sold ONLY in Singapore are not bootleggers? I really doubt half of the stuff sold there are genuine anime merchandise anyway. =.=

I think it's obvious that if these vendors had been doing that at the event itself they too would have been removed don't you?
wowo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
guiltyschu wrote:

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is, bootlegged items or not, rabid otaku or not, Cartoon Passion are not good people, and they exploit anime fans. I could overlook their poor customer service if they'd been willing to refund my mother's purchase, and had properly labled their goods, but as it is, they did/have done neither. I'm nearly always ready to play devil's advocate, but in this case I'd never recommend them to anyone, and if I see them at Animania in Sydney next weekend, I'm going to be doing my best to report them.

That's most unfortunate for you. I'd be angry if i would have to pay extra for something which should be cheaper. But on my "isolated case" , a few friends have bought from him genuine stuff at substantially cheaper than local prices. They were pretty happy with AP.

L0ki wrote:

As far as I hear CP was approached several times on Saturday to remove bootleg items from sale, all of which were met with complete disrespect for the committee investigating the merchandise and the items were not removed at any point during the day.
In the past I've heard that any other vendors approached about bootlegs have removed the items from sale, CP did not.

Maybe that's cause it wasn't bootlegs? But his allegations went unnoticed? I dunno....i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:

I'm no genius, but quite likely every other vendor which wasn't evicted for such behaviour

Cause no other vendor had such great buys to draw business rivalry to themselves?

Quote:

I think it's obvious that if these vendors had been doing that at the event itself they too would have been removed don't you?

I think its more of a market grey area. I give for example Naruto merchandse being sold by almost every other tom dick and harry vendor (because its popular). If you're a naruto fan, you'd know that there are many bootlegged and unofficial naruto merchandise out there like pencilboards, posters, etc. You think these are legal? I think not. But everyone closes an eye and leaves it be. So yeah. Of course stuff like bootlegged anime DVDs from Hong Kong are a dead giveaway and you'd only be stupid to sell those at a con.

Well in all, i'm not defending AP or anything. Just that I've heard both sides of this story, and I get positive 3rd person experiences as well. So I believe AP should be given a chance to explain themselves. Well if they don't, I guess they're guilty as charged.
sectorx4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I was helping run the mycosplayclub.com stall at Manifest and we did have some people try to haggle for prices but that is absolutly no excuse for the kind of behaviour cartoon passion showed.

Even had one guy who kept going "sell me something" then he'd keep asking for discounts or free stuff hehe.

In my opinion the MOC (Manifest Organising Committee) did the right thing, they investigated complaints from attendees and gave the store due warning regarding their bootlegs but they chose to ignore them and were ejected.

Quote:
You think these are legal? I think not. But everyone closes an eye and leaves it be. So yeah. Of course stuff like bootlegged anime DVDs from Hong Kong are a dead giveaway and you'd only be stupid to sell those at a con.

This is very true and although people won't admit it most likely happens at all conventions, it is a bit of a grey area. Although I highly doubt jealousy was the cause of someone reporting Cartoon Passion.

Sorry for the non-sensical post just thought I would add my 2c + GST.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3