• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic - TSR only 13 episodes?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunshine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
Been looking here at Animenewsnetworks and it says that FMP:TSR is gonna be 13 episodes. Also I've heard Kyoto Animation (from some dude on DC++) has announced this too but I haven't looked it up myself.

Kinda... short? I mean, I wouldn't mind if it's 26 episodes since it feels as if there's a lot of story left. If not, 13 episodes might mean they cut the series leading lot's of loose ends. =/

Any ideas?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Well, considering where the series currently is in relation to the source material, 13 episodes make the most sense. I can see the spoiler[trip to Hong Kong] being wrapped up in four episodes. And that's pretty much where the Owaru Day By Day novels end. And the official sources do say 13 episodes. But your feeling that there's a lot of story left is very correct. At this point, the series of novels is only about half done. And the anime is sitting at around two novels behind right now.
Sunshine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so we'll probably end up with no closure? Great... -_-
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sunshine wrote:

spoiler[There will be closure on that story arc, but as far as the overall story goes, no closure whatsoever.] There is definitely more going on.

If you want to spoil some of the future storyline, I have more info for you. But, remember, these are MAJOR spoilers. Don't read if you don't want to know. In the A Dancing Very Merry Christmas novel, spoiler[the class gets to go on a cruise. There's no way that there could be another hijacking, right? Wrong. This time, though, it's Mithril trying to foil another attempt by Amalgam to kidnap Chidori. Did I mention that December 24 is Chidori's birthday too? And here's a piece of dialogue between Tessa and Sousuke in the last chapter:

Tessa: Do you like Kaname?
Sousuke: ...probably, yes.
Tessa: More than me?
Sousuke's cheeks tensed up. But at the end of his hesitation, he answered clearly.
Sousuke: Yes.]

And if that isn't enough, this is what I've learned happens in the following novel, Continuing On My Own:
spoiler[Amalgram decides that play time is over. They go on a massive offensive to get rid of Mithril once and for all. This story marks a major turning point in the main story.

1. Mithril's HQ in Sydney is destroyed
2. Melida Base is overrun by Amalgam's forces
3. Tuatha De Danaan barely escapes
4. The entire Jindai High School is taken hostage
5. AS fights in the middle of Tokyo
6. Wraith shows her true identity
7. Tokiwa Kyoko is massively injured
8. Chidori Kaname accepts to be kidnapped to ensure the safety of her classmates
9. Sagara Sousuke loses to Leonard Testarossa
10. Sousuke's AS "Arbalest" is destroyed against Leonard's AS, "Verial."]

The author says that there will still be another three or four lengthy novels. Whether anything beyond Owaru Day By Day, as The Second Raid, will be animated, is not certain. I'll continue hoping that the rest of the story will be animated though.
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with him though 13 episodes is short i always say a normaly season for an anime show should be at least 20 to 24 episodes long because it can add so much in.

not saying the show is goign to suck i mean it can be a great show and everything but it could be better with more story in it with mroe episodes

if u read another post about past times of anime u would of seen wot i wrote about gun parade march which was only 12 episodes long good show but missed out too much on the background war story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree with one3rd. This series or sequel can be finished up in the next 4 episodes (thats if you saw episode 9) and from what happens in that episode it seems like its gonna wrap up pretty soon. The original series was only 24 episodes and the sequel Fumoffu or is it Fumofuu was only 11 episodes (odd number ehh?). Anyways in episode 9 psycho girl's spoiler[sister dies] and wraith's spoiler[true form is revealed (well partially, you just see her eye)] and nothing else seems to happening as well so yeah. Right from the beginning the main story is already in motion and the pace of the series definitely doesn't feel like a 24-26 episode series in my opinion. So 13 episodes would be good for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
So 13 episodes would be good for me.

Yup, till we get to The 2nd Second Raid. Laughing
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
The original series was only 24 episodes and the sequel Fumoffu or is it Fumofuu was only 11 episodes (odd number ehh?).

That's 11 aired episodes. An episode worth was cut from broadcast due to real-life events in Japan that too closely resembled what was going on in the anime for that episode.
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Well, that's perfectly understandable. If it was just 11 episodes both aired and non-aired that would be quite an odd number indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sunshine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:01 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Sunshine wrote:

spoiler[There will be closure on that story arc, but as far as the overall story goes, no closure whatsoever.] There is definitely more going on.

If you want to spoil some of the future storyline, I have more info for you. But, remember, these are MAJOR spoilers. Don't read if you don't want to know. In the A Dancing Very Merry Christmas novel, spoiler[the class gets to go on a cruise. There's no way that there could be another hijacking, right? Wrong. This time, though, it's Mithril trying to foil another attempt by Amalgam to kidnap Chidori. Did I mention that December 24 is Chidori's birthday too? And here's a piece of dialogue between Tessa and Sousuke in the last chapter:

Tessa: Do you like Kaname?
Sousuke's cheeks tensed up. But at the end of his hesitation, he answered clearly.

And if that isn't enough, this is what I've learned happens in the following novel, Continuing On My Own:
spoiler[Amalgram decides that play time is over. They go on a massive offensive to get rid of Mithril once and for all. This story marks a major turning point in the main story.

1. Mithril's HQ in Sydney is destroyed
2. Melida Base is overrun by Amalgam's forces
3. Tuatha De Danaan barely escapes
4. The entire Jindai High School is taken hostage
5. AS fights in the middle of Tokyo
6. Wraith shows her true identity
7. Tokiwa Kyoko is massively injured
8. Chidori Kaname accepts to be kidnapped to ensure the safety of her classmates
9. Sagara Sousuke loses to Leonard Testarossa
10. Sousuke's AS "Arbalest" is destroyed against Leonard's AS, "Verial."]

The author says that there will still be another three or four lengthy novels. Whether anything beyond Owaru Day By Day, as The Second Raid, will be animated, is not certain. I'll continue hoping that the rest of the story will be animated though.

Ahh, thanks for the extensive post. Cleared a lot of questions.

I too (perhaps every animefan) hope that they'll animate more of the story. I mean, it's such a popular show and it got so many fans. Not animating would be plain dumb... at least that's my oppinion. =)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:08 am Reply with quote
Shoot, guess I'll have to read some manga. To me, it had been feeling like a 24-26 episode series the whole time, since there's potential for a lot more bad-ass mech battles and the long-awaited romantic closure between Kaname and Sousuke.

The omitted episode of Fumoffu was episode 2, when Kaname is kidnapped by a gang (since Fumoffu is so plot-less, I don't really consider this a spoiler), and there had been a well-publicized case of a young girl being taken hostage around that same time. The bootleg and fansub versions that I've come across are missing this episode, while the legit ADV disc has it. Score one more for legal R1 discs.
Insane E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Tessa: Do you like Kaname?

Thanks mate Smile everything I needed to know Wink
"Only" 13 eps is not supprising. At least not for me, since this one has had another pace then FMP.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Well...at least it'll be easier to own once it gets released here. It's pretty good so far I'm definitely anticipating the rest.
maozhuoya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote
in my eyes its 2nd season is just produced for fun, I've seen 4 episodes of its 3rd season and it come back to its original story ,namely on black techonique war and so on(they come to Nanjing , China)rather than comedy of campus
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1